Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:34 am

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:54 pm
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's not a statutory limit. It's a limit for that the particular court (not for the particular wrong that AA committed).
That is what a statutory limit is. E.g., the small claims statutory limit in MA is $7,000 or $3,000 in OH.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Often1
That is what a statutory limit is. E.g., the small claims statutory limit in MA is $7,000 or $3,000 in OH.
You misunderstood Vegas Gambler. He meant that there is no retroactive change to the maximum amount of a claim for negligence and/or breach of contract. It is just a statutory change in the maximum amount of the claim which can be obtained if you elect to put your case into small claims court.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Wait for shutdown then e-mail AA people (not just the response e-mail given) demanding way information. Then when they refuse, file. That's my advice,.
A lot of people seem to be skipping this step and going straight to DOT. The DOT says the above step should be the first step. Not sure it matters at this point.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbrower
You misunderstood Vegas Gambler. He meant that there is no retroactive change to the maximum amount of a claim for negligence and/or breach of contract. It is just a statutory change in the maximum amount of the claim which can be obtained if you elect to put your case into small claims court.
Which goes exactly to the heart of my question. I did not misunderstand in the least.

Will the change in the statutory limit for the court he is speaking of apply to claims arising prior to the effective date of the new limit?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 2:10 pm
Original Member

Which goes exactly to the heart of my question. I did not misunderstand in the least.

Will the change in the statutory limit for the court he is speaking of apply to claims arising prior to the effective date of the new limit?
The limit in small claims is the limit on the date you file, not the limit on when it happened.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbrower
The limit in small claims is the limit on the date you file, not the limit on when it happened.
Perhaps in Orange County, CA.

In most states or counties the jurisdictional limits of the court are established on the day of the conduct in question and can't be retroactively changed.

I am not sure how you can make a broad-based statement about all small claims courts.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
A lot of people seem to be skipping this step and going straight to DOT. The DOT says the above step should be the first step. Not sure it matters at this point.
maybe this is AA’s strategy. They do not want people filing cases with the DOT in droves, so they’re controlling the rate of shutdowns?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:34 pm

[deleted]
VegasGambler likes this.

Last edited by billybayswater; Jul 13, 2020 at 11:55 am
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:46 pm
Original Member

In most states or counties the jurisdictional limits of the court are established on the day of the conduct in question and can't be retroactively changed.

I am not sure how you can make a broad-based statement about all small claims courts.
Your statement is, to the best of my knowledge, correct nowhere. The jurisdictional limit of a court is the limit when the matter is filed. Removal jurisdiction to Federal Court is the jurisdiction on the date the case is filed. I cannot think of a single example, anywhere in the US, where the jurisdiction of the court is based on the date of the injury rather than the date of the filing.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:48 pm

Hey guys, can you please advise:
- I got 3 AA SUBs in 2019. First AA SUBs for me ever. 2 from citi AA business and 1 from barclay AA business. I shouldn't have gotten that 2nd citi business bonus, clearly.
- I recently got the barclay AA personal. All I need to do is spend $1 and pay the AF to get the bonus.
- If you were me, would put spend on the barclay AA card and get the bonus?!? I already have the card in hand... but I'm worried about the discussion above of getting 4 bonuses in 1 year and getting the shutdown.

Thoughts? Appreciate it.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by abasin54
... If you were me, would put spend on the barclay AA card and get the bonus?!?
If I were you, I probably would not want to get any more SUB's this year. In that case if you're not shut down, you get to spend your existing miles & still enjoy the free bag for being a member with the Barclays CC. And if you get shut down anyways, you'll be glad that AA did not get to steal an extra 60K miles from that last SUB.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:41 am

I thought small claim needs to be filed at defendant's jurisdiction, meaning where AA's headquarter is located?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:53 am

Asking for DPs...

Asking for DPs...

If an account is terminated, will an award ticket booked by that account but under other's name (like his spouse) also be cancelled?

If an account is terminated, will an award ticket booked by an unaffected account (like his spouse's) but under his name/account number also be cancelled?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sbbi
Asking for DPs...

If an account is terminated, will an award ticket booked by that account but under other's name (like his spouse) also be cancelled?

If an account is terminated, will an award ticket booked by an unaffected account (like his spouse's) but under his name/account number also be cancelled?
Yes and no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.