Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Secure messaging is no longer available via:
Services
  • Credit Card Services /
    • Request a Credit Limit Increase /
      • Request Your Card Agreement (at left)
However, it may be available via (but as of late May 2019 this method, too, seems to be not working):
Print Wikipost

Citi Secure Message - now read only?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
SM currently available via Credit Card Services / Credit Line increase / Request card agreement.
Originally Posted by Happy
Post the same info on Dec 14 Post 42, and confirmed it was working Post 44, in this very thread.
Wiki updated to reflect exact wording of menu text.
LIH Prem and bobert24 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Thank you to those who found this and documented it.

I sent a SM requesting a 15K match (69K to 75K) 2 days ago. Message appears to have gone through, but I have not seen any reply or acknowledgement yet. The fact that we're in an inter-holiday period is not lost on me, but, is there a consensus for what/when to expect for a response? Skimming the posts below, I think I'm seeing a variety of experiences (no response but then miles quickly showing up, to a printed letter acknowledging they will via the USPS). Seems odd (well, yeah, OK, it's Citi...). I guess I'll give it a few more days before I start checking my postal mailbox...
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:28 am

I’ve read (here and Reddit) that SM bonus requests are followed up by Citi with a phone call since they can’t reply back. Chat requests are responded to via snail mail.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:30 am

The system won't even allow me to add my latest card to my online account
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Thank you to those who found this and documented it.

I sent a SM requesting a 15K match (69K to 75K) 2 days ago. Message appears to have gone through, but I have not seen any reply or acknowledgement yet. The fact that we're in an inter-holiday period is not lost on me, but, is there a consensus for what/when to expect for a response? Skimming the posts below, I think I'm seeing a variety of experiences (no response but then miles quickly showing up, to a printed letter acknowledging they will via the USPS). Seems odd (well, yeah, OK, it's Citi...). I guess I'll give it a few more days before I start checking my postal mailbox...
They sometimes send an email to confirm the match. Takes 3 days or to receive it. But not everyone who got successful match via SM has received the email as you notice the posts. At least one poster said he got a snail mail letter...
There is no discernible pattern. But so far noone who requests it has not gotten it. You can request it AGAIN. It does not hurt to send another SM or do it thru the Chat.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NTP9766
I’ve read (here and Reddit) that SM bonus requests are followed up by Citi with a phone call since they can’t reply back. Chat requests are responded to via snail mail.
Not entirely true.

At least 3 posters, myself included, posted we got email on the match that was requested thru the SM.
There are also people reported they did not get any response but their matches posted nonetheless.

There is NO discernible method / pattern on which one works better. There is also NO harm to submit another request thru whatever channel one feels good about it. Personally I dont see any "sure bet" way to go about this, other than there are a few initial denials thru the chat. Just chat again.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Wiki updated to reflect exact wording of menu text.
Thank You beltway for all your work with this and several other wikis on FT. I personally am very grateful for having a wealth of information in such a well-organized central place.
beltway, mia, isle-hawg and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I saw that DoC post back in Nov, but had no trouble with SM in recent days. It's right back where it always was: account page -> help & support -> contact us -> secure message center.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Berg
I saw that DoC post back in Nov, but had no trouble with SM in recent days. It's right back where it always was: account page -> help & support -> contact us -> secure message center.
That link text never went away, so it can't be "right back". It merely stopped allowing SM to be sent. Are you claiming you followed the link and were able to send an SM?

(It is still possible to send SM, but not via the path you described.)

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jan 7, 2019 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
That link text never went away, so it can't be "right back". It merely stopped allowing SM to be sent. Are you claiming you followed the link and were able to send an SM?
Yes.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:47 pm

Just logged in to my Citi Accounts.
There is a new format / things look different.

I went through the workaround steps to send a secure message, but the "Request Your Card Agreement" step no longer brings up the possibility of sending them a secure message.

Anyone else getting this?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by muji
Just logged in to my Citi Accounts.
There is a new format / things look different.

I went through the workaround steps to send a secure message, but the "Request Your Card Agreement" step no longer brings up the possibility of sending them a secure message.

Anyone else getting this?
There are cosmetic changes to the first page, but the workaround is still there. (Remember not to click the wrong "Request card agreement" link---go to "credit limit increase" first.)
muji likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:55 am

Today I was unable to request 15,000 AA bonus miles or close an account via chat. Told by 2 different agents I needed to call in. As recently as last week my wife lowered here credit line and requested bonus miles via chat. SM workaround (increase credit line) is still dead.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
SM workaround (increase credit line) is still dead.
Still working for me (on a business account, FWIW) as of 30 seconds ago.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
SM workaround (increase credit line) is still dead.
"Still" dead? It's never been dead, and it's still not dead. See wiki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.