Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
What counted as online purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Amazon purchase or re-load
  • Carters.com (Merchandise-CHILDRENS / INFANTS WEAR STORE)
  • Costco.com
  • Ebay seller fees (direct entry) (MCC: N/A)
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Gift Card Mall
  • Homedepot.com (Merchandise-HOME SUPPLY WAREHOUSE STORES)
  • Iherb.com (Merchandise-MISC FOOD STORE,SPECIALTY,CONVENIENCE)
  • Kygunco.com (Merchandise-DURABLE GOODS, NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Lockedloaded.com (Merchandise-SPORTING GOODS STORES)
  • MileagePlusX (MCC varies)
  • Pirateship.com (Services-COURIER SERVICE, FREIGHT FORWARDERS)
  • Plastiq (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
  • Scholastic.com (Organizations-MISC SCHOOLS / EDUCATIONAL SERVICES)
  • Usmint.gov (Services-MISC GOVERNMENT SERVICES)
  • united.com (Air Travel-UNITED AIRLINES)
What didn't count as online purchase (alphabetical order):
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Geico.com (Services-INSURANCE-SALES / UNDERWRITING)
  • Paypal (MCC varies)
What counted as utilities purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Cable, Satellite, TV (Restaurants-CABLE,SATELLITE,PAY TV/RADIO SERVICES)
  • Telecom (Restaurants-TELEPHONE SERVICE)
  • Telecom (Services-TELEPHONE SERVICE/EQUIPMENT)
  • Utilities (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
What didn't count as Travel purchase (alphabetical order):
  • VRBO

Credit Line Increases
This is very odd, but according to the Chatbot on the website:
Q. When requesting a credit limit increase, is the credit inquiry a hard or soft credit inquiry?
A. Unfortunately, until we process the request, there isn't a way for us to know if a credit line increase request will be a soft or hard hit on your credit report. For this reason, we have to receive your permission to pull a copy of your credit report before we process the increase request. If you process the request online, you will see a message stating "By submitting this form, you authorize Citibank, N.A. to obtain your credit report."

To request an increase online:
In order to request an increase, you will need to go to your “Credit Home” page, and find “Available Credit” at the top of the page. Then, click on the link that says “Request Increase” to begin the process.

Print Wikipost

Citi Sears Cards (2014 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by yugi
Received an offer for 10x travel purchases of $500 or more up to 10k per month for 3 months. This one is tough, I usually don't spend that much on travel.
I got the same this morning. Vexatiously, it started 2/1/20, and they didn't email it out to any of us to roughly now. And I've had some travel spend, so I could have put on the Sears card....but as others have noted the travel protections are so bad / weak on this card that even with the plus points it's not always worth it. I'd rather book an airfare with a card which has trip delay than sears for a more pts, especially since you have to spend $500+/mo to get it, when the others will give you the coverage even on a $49 fare if that's the only qualifying travel spend in the month. However one good thing- Sears seems to have a generous definition of 'Travel' , esp compared to some other issuers.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
My mom has had a Sears Mastercard that didn't get converted to a "Shop Your Way" card. It earns Thank you points. I signed her up for online access hoping that they'd send her offers. First one arrived:

Earn 3,000 Bonus ThankYouŽ Points* when you activate this offer and make eligible purchases totaling $300 or more with your Sears MastercardŽ between 2/20/2020 - 4/19/2020. These Bonus ThankYou Points are in addition to the 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on purchases you already earn with your card

I'm debating if I should have her do the offer. She doesn't have any other cards in the Thank You point ecosystem so easiest. If I'm reading these blogs correctly, redemption is 0.5 cents per dollar on the non AF cards or .8 cents per point on Amazon. I guess even at Amazon rate, this would be at least 8.8% back.

I know this seems like a waste to those collecting these points. I know I've told people cashing UR points for cash back is a waste.

I guess I'm afraid the points will just sit there if I don't redeem (so worthless compared.to just using a 2% card), or I'd have to have her sign up for the Premier card and learn a whole new points system.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
My mom has had a Sears Mastercard that didn't get converted to a "Shop Your Way" card. It earns Thank you points. I signed her up for online access hoping that they'd send her offers. First one arrived:

Earn 3,000 Bonus ThankYouŽ Points* when you activate this offer and make eligible purchases totaling $300 or more with your Sears MastercardŽ between 2/20/2020 - 4/19/2020. These Bonus ThankYou Points are in addition to the 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on purchases you already earn with your card

I'm debating if I should have her do the offer. She doesn't have any other cards in the Thank You point ecosystem so easiest. If I'm reading these blogs correctly, redemption is 0.5 cents per dollar on the non AF cards or .8 cents per point on Amazon. I guess even at Amazon rate, this would be at least 8.8% back.

I know this seems like a waste to those collecting these points. I know I've told people cashing UR points for cash back is a waste.

I guess I'm afraid the points will just sit there if I don't redeem (so worthless compared.to just using a 2% card), or I'd have to have her sign up for the Premier card and learn a whole new points system.
If you're nested in the TYP system, maybe she can just transfer them to you, and you can find a high value use for them, and compensate her in other ways.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I got the same this morning. Vexatiously, it started 2/1/20, and they didn't email it out to any of us to roughly now. And I've had some travel spend, so I could have put on the Sears card....but as others have noted the travel protections are so bad / weak on this card that even with the plus points it's not always worth it. I'd rather book an airfare with a card which has trip delay than sears for a more pts, especially since you have to spend $500+/mo to get it, when the others will give you the coverage even on a $49 fare if that's the only qualifying travel spend in the month. However one good thing- Sears seems to have a generous definition of 'Travel' , esp compared to some other issuers.
Does buying a delta gift card qualify as travel, in your experience?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:04 am

If you're nested in the TYP system, maybe she can just transfer them to you, and you can find a high value use for them, and compensate her in other ways.
Since my post, I've had her start charging for this promo. I figured she might as well.use it for non category spending.

I'll decide later what to do with the points. Neither of us have the premium Citi cards so we can both get the Subs in the future. She should do it by next year as her Global Entry will need to be renewed and she downgraded her CSR long ago.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by jason1991
Does buying a delta gift card qualify as travel, in your experience?
Haven't done Delta before directly. In the rare times I need them I buy them at grocery stores.

NB that there are differences in how Delta might code up based on desktop purchase vs. mobile purchase. (at least for Amex)

And additionally, there have been recent decent discounts on Delta GC at places like Costco, some grocery stores etc. so even if you were trying to gather up the 10x TYP make sure its actually the best deal out there.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:08 am

Haven't done Delta before directly. In the rare times I need them I buy them at grocery stores.

NB that there are differences in how Delta might code up based on desktop purchase vs. mobile purchase. (at least for Amex)

And additionally, there have been recent decent discounts on Delta GC at places like Costco, some grocery stores etc. so even if you were trying to gather up the 10x TYP make sure its actually the best deal out there.
Thanks for the advice!! I have $150 left to hit the $500 threshold and was wondering what's the best way to spend it. That's why Delta gift cards come into mind.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:40 pm

I just went to Kmart to burn some points as I have $230 and I'm afraid they are gonna go under. Turns out this Kmart was already being closed before virus.

I see why though, the stuff is still expensive even with the clearance prices.

I have $150 left. There's a Sears near me also. Should I just burn through the points even though food is expensive or do you think Citibank will change them into something else if Sears and Kmart go totally bust?

Also it was a pain to use points bc apparently you need a pin to use over $25 worth but after trying to get one they let me just do several $25 transactions. I'll have pin next time bc phone number I use is at home.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:12 am

I just went to Kmart to burn some points as I have $230 and I'm afraid they are gonna go under. Turns out this Kmart was already being closed before virus.

I see why though, the stuff is still expensive even with the clearance prices.

I have $150 left. There's a Sears near me also. Should I just burn through the points even though food is expensive or do you think Citibank will change them into something else if Sears and Kmart go totally bust?

Also it was a pain to use points bc apparently you need a pin to use over $25 worth but after trying to get one they let me just do several $25 transactions. I'll have pin next time bc phone number I use is at home.
You can also use the Shop Your Way points online at various places, even certain Target store items.
We have no Sears stores in our area anymore and I don't think any K-Mart either.

Bought a few pairs of dockers for "free". LOL
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:28 am

I ended up going to Sears yesterday. The mall was set to close that evening for who knows how long but Sears was still open. It felt eerie as there was no one there except me. The employees were so few that it took me five mins to find someone to check me out. I even went to the fitting room by myself. K-mart was a ripoff even with the "clearance" prices but I found some good deals at Sears. Burned all but a few dollars.

I still never got some promos from the fall. Despite what some reported here and what a phone rep told me, I don't think they give stacking promos. On another forum, there's a thread how a person only got one promo. It seems wrong though (and this was before all this craziness). I had an offer for 5% back on a deferred interest promo and didn't get that either. One would think that should be separate than the gas/groceries/dining promo.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:37 am

I ended up going to Sears yesterday. The mall was set to close that evening for who knows how long but Sears was still open. It felt eerie as there was no one there except me. The employees were so few that it took me five mins to find someone to check me out. I even went to the fitting room by myself. K-mart was a ripoff even with the "clearance" prices but I found some good deals at Sears. Burned all but a few dollars.

I still never got some promos from the fall. Despite what some reported here and what a phone rep told me, I don't think they give stacking promos. On another forum, there's a thread how a person only got one promo. It seems wrong though (and this was before all this craziness). I had an offer for 5% back on a deferred interest promo and didn't get that either. One would think that should be separate than the gas/groceries/dining promo.
same problem I'm waiting on several promos too. try calling in.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:35 pm

I never found anywhere else outside of sears/kmart where it can be used online. Can you share a link or two on which target store items and/or how you're filtering? Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik
You can also use the Shop Your Way points online at various places, even certain Target store items.
We have no Sears stores in our area anymore and I don't think any K-Mart either.

Bought a few pairs of dockers for "free". LOL
I never found anywhere else outside of sears/kmart where it can be used online. Can you share a link or two on which target store items and/or how you're filtering? Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:40 pm

has anyone gotten the bonus TYP from the below offer yet?

i guess they really stick to their 8-10 weeks wait or wait for 2 statements to closed before points post clause really well

Activate this offer now to earn 10X Bonus ThankYouŽ Points**

(up to a total of 6,000 points each month) when you spend $150 or more on ALL eligible purchases each month and use your Sears MastercardŽ from 10/1/19 – 1/31/20.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:23 pm

They've become slower. And they'll make you wait the 10 weeks before posting. So, I would wait until the April statement...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.