Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do I do a Citi product change and does it result in hard pull?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

I'm interested in converting my Citi Hilton Reserve card to Citi Prestigue. How do I go about doing this and does it result in a hard pull? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Why do you want to do this rather than applying for Prestige and earning the new account bonus?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Originally Posted by mia
Why do you want to do this rather than applying for Prestige and earning the new account bonus?
I don't want a new card and or pull.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyer121
I don't want a new card and or pull.
Assuming that Citi allows this particular product change, you can simply call and request it. They usually do not do a hard pull, but you should confirm with the rep before starting the process. Once initiated, you typically receive the new card fairly soon (within 2 weeks or so), but the product change officially takes a bit longer (51 days as I recall). You'll get to use the new card and its benefits in the interim, but the change does not officially happen until the 51 days are up. Apparently, if you change your mind, they can un-do the PC in that 51-day period.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
...the product change officially takes a bit longer (51 days as I recall)....
I am curious how they would do that with a VISA to MasterCard change.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Me too.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer121
I'm interested in converting my Citi Hilton Reserve card to Citi Prestigue. How do I go about doing this and does it result in a hard pull? Thank you in advance for your help.
Wow. I've never heard of someone wanting to product convert a $95/year card to a $450/year card before. Many people who got the Prestige the normal way (with a signup bonus) don't want to pay $450 for a second year of Prestige without another signup bonus (but can't get another signup bonus then), and then come to this thread:
in a panic about what to do with their about-to-vanish TYP points. But you want to pay $450 right away and don't mind giving up the signup bonus?

You do realize that if you just cancel the Reserve card, you won't get a pull either, and will save $450? @:-)
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:05 pm

I called about PC from 95$ AF card to non AF card and was told it takes 7-10 days. Did I speak to an uniformed rep?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
I called about PC from 95$ AF card to non AF card and was told it takes 7-10 days. Did I speak to an uniformed rep?
If you don't believe them, do you think it's less than 7-10 days or longer than 7-10 days?

I remember seeing in other threads (here in the Citi forum) where conversions for some people took months, but I'm not sure of what circumstances speed it up or slow it down.

I think it can depend for example on how new or old the card is. IIRC, some banks interpret the credit card consumer protection act as saying they can't product change a card that's been open less than a full 12 months.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Depends on how the Citi agent was using the terminology. You do typically get the new card and start using its benefits in that rough time frame, but the formal change takes longer. They seem to build in some time to change your mind, I think it is 51 days. You should get a letter from Citi that outlines when the PC becomes "formally official"
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is there a matrix somewhere that shows what product changes are allowed for a given card?

I had an agent tell me that the Citi TYP Premier card ($75) annual fee cannot Product Change to anything. I know I could just blindly HUACA and see if I get different answers, but if this is actually written down somewhere, I'd like to have that info in advance.

It's a line of credit that's been open for 10 years, so I'm hesitant to cancel it. Also don't have any Citi cards I want bad enough to use a hard pull for. I was thinking I'd flip this card over to the Costco card and actually use it a bit. If I can't product-change to a Visa, then just to some no-fee Mastercard to toss in a drawer.

I have good credit and already hold the Prestige card and the Hilton card. When Hilton/Citi dies, maybe that one becomes my Costco card. But it's a relatively new line of credit that I don't mind cancelling if I have to.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Is there a matrix somewhere that shows what product changes are allowed for a given card?

I had an agent tell me that the Citi TYP Premier card ($75) annual fee cannot Product Change to anything. I know I could just blindly HUACA and see if I get different answers, but if this is actually written down somewhere, I'd like to have that info in advance.

It's a line of credit that's been open for 10 years, so I'm hesitant to cancel it. Also don't have any Citi cards I want bad enough to use a hard pull for. I was thinking I'd flip this card over to the Costco card and actually use it a bit. If I can't product-change to a Visa, then just to some no-fee Mastercard to toss in a drawer.

I have good credit and already hold the Prestige card and the Hilton card. When Hilton/Citi dies, maybe that one becomes my Costco card. But it's a relatively new line of credit that I don't mind cancelling if I have to.
Do you have any points on that Premier card? Do you realize they'll go "poof" in 60 days (no matter what other TYP cards you have) if you cancel or convert to a non-TYP card? See this thread for more on that:
A couple people have successfully converted their TYP Premier to the no-AF TYP Preferred, and that is the only way to keep your TYP Premier points beyond 60 days.

People who don't care about their TYP points expiring in 60 days have also converted to DoubleCash I think.

(But while you say you've had the card for 10 years, keep in mind that those people who've had their Citi card for less than a year typically can't do a product conversion at all.)

Also, do you realize you may not need to "really" (net) pay your Premier annual fee? See here:
As for the Hilton cards (Citi had two of them, the Reserve and the no-AF), no one knows yet whether they'll be converted by Citi (if so, to what) or instead sold to Amex (rumors are that it'll be sold to Amex, but there's no official confirmation yet).

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 28, 2017 at 1:56 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
A new corresponding account number will be issued and your credit report will be updated accordingly.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Do you have any points on that Premier card? Do you realize they'll go "poof" in 60 days (no matter what other TYP cards you have) if you cancel or convert to a non-TYP card? See this thread for more on that:
A couple people have successfully converted their TYP Premier to the no-AF TYP Preferred, and that is the only way to keep your TYP Premier points beyond 60 days.

People who don't care about their TYP points expiring in 60 days have also converted to DoubleCash I think.

(But while you say you've had the card for 10 years, keep in mind that those people who've had their Citi card for less than a year typically can't do a product conversion at all.)

Also, do you realize you may not need to "really" (net) pay your Premier annual fee? See here:
As for the Hilton cards (Citi had two of them, the Reserve and the no-AF), no one knows yet whether they'll be converted by Citi (if so, to what) or instead sold to Amex (rumors are that it'll be sold to Amex, but there's no official confirmation yet).
My TYP balance is negligible right now. I recently cleared it out for a couple short AA flights since the redemption devaluation is coming. I *think* the source of my remaining TYP is the Prestige card, but it's something like twenty bucks' worth of points so no biggie if they go poof.

I have the Hilton Reserve card and the no-fee HH Amex. As we get closer to the end of the year, I'll figure those two out. I'll want to start 2018 with the Amex Surpass, but I'm not changing anything until I know the procedure to collect my 2018 Free Night from the Hilton Reserve card. (I've already earned it, and it would ordinarily be delivered to me in March.)

My Citi Premier AF is due in February, so I have a little time to sit on that one if necessary... I've done a couple retention offers over the years on that card, but sometimes I forget and basically I want a permanent solution for it. I was a bigger TYP user back in the earliest years of the program.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Citi PC is easy. Just call.... I did three switches last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.