FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Plat/Gold/Bus cards. August 2016: 1 personal & 1 business bonus/24 months. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1784306-citi-aa-plat-gold-bus-cards-august-2016-1-personal-1-business-bonus-24-months.html)

vfdfs2 Aug 12, 2016 2:15 pm

Possible GOOD NEWS coming out for DoC. It states that the 1 per branded, typed card per 24-month limitation does not go into effect until August 28th. Guide over to that site to read up.

beltway Aug 12, 2016 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 27055578)
Of course I get home to find a 40k/$3k targeted offer with invitation code addressed to my wife in the mailbox. I suppose I can go this route should the offer I just applied for be denied the bonus.

Be sure to read the T&C closely. A 40K offer (with 9-digit code) arrived at my house yesterday, and the 24-month restriction was clearly stated in the offer details.

Originally Posted by vfdfs2 (Post 27055757)
Possible GOOD NEWS coming out for DoC. It states that the 1 per branded, typed card per 24-month limitation does not go into effect until August 28th. Guide over to that site to read up.

I don't buy that for one minute. The language is already in (most of) Citi's offers. When have they ever delayed enforcement of a new rule for weeks after the language appears in T&C?

mia Aug 12, 2016 2:23 pm

I doubt the published terms of an offer can be changed by referring to an unnamed person in Citi's media department. Most likely it means that Citi knows there are still offers online (and in print) with the old terms and that they will honor those as written. I don't think it means we can disregard the terms of an offer which already contains the new terms.

NTP9766 Aug 12, 2016 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 27055775)
Be sure to read the T&C closely. A 40K offer (with 9-digit code) arrived at my house yesterday, and the 24-month restriction was clearly stated in the offer details.

I did. This is a 12-digit code, and the 24-month verbiage is non-existent on both sides. The same goes for the online application page. With the news that the new Citi terms likely don't apply until August 28th, I may consider grabbing a Gold card along with one of these Platinums just to take advantage of the free miles.

Edit: The only line on this application that gives me some pause is the following:

If you are an existing Citi/AAdvantage cardmember, you are not eligible for this offer on your existing account.
That still sounds like I would be fine, since it would technically be a new account, but I don't know for sure.

NTP9766 Aug 12, 2016 2:29 pm

...and I'll quickly backstep on the Citi terms ordeal. :)

yoshapman Aug 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Still have a few days to get 2 apps in before 8/28, so I'll wait for more news and data points over the weekend. Assuming someone will sign up and then confirm.

nsinfamous Aug 12, 2016 3:23 pm

For the Citi AA Business 24 month bonus limit and requiring to close the current card and waiting 24 months before reapplying. Would it be possible to close the card and reapply under a new business name and new EIN number and not have to wait the 24 months?

teammjs Aug 12, 2016 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by nsinfamous (Post 27056044)
For the Citi AA Business 24 month bonus limit and requiring to close the current card and waiting 24 months before reapplying. Would it be possible to close the card and reapply under a new business name and new EIN number and not have to wait the 24 months?

Nope. tied to your SSN.

teammjs Aug 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 27055775)

I don't buy that for one minute. The language is already in (most of) Citi's offers. When have they ever delayed enforcement of a new rule for weeks after the language appears in T&C?

This is Citi we're talking about. I don't trust their IT department can implement anything correctly and quickly :)

From a corporate standpoint, you are going to put language in before making the change, and maybe it'll take them some time to phase and test.

Does anyone remember when they started restricting to the 18 month limit, did it immediately take effect? That'd probably be the best indicator.

I am applying today though, since I'm just about to "reset" my overall app clock by taking a 24 month break for the most part for Chase cards, so getting the Gold card without a bonus isn't going to hurt me. I'll report back.

lw7878 Aug 12, 2016 9:09 pm

I have a question for those of you who got denied on the application page when using mail offer code. Do you know if Citi did a hard pull? I'm trying to determine if I should go for the same offer code 2nd time. TIA!

IAD_flyer Aug 13, 2016 8:30 am

Breaking News:
Doctor of Credit is saying that the new policy only takes effect on August 28th. He is normally a reliable source.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/apply-...28th-old-terms

With this news, I am thinking of going for the Exec. as that is the only AA Citi card I have never held.

redsoxwiz00 Aug 13, 2016 9:12 am

Originally Posted by lw7878 (Post 27057132)
I have a question for those of you who got denied on the application page when using mail offer code. Do you know if Citi did a hard pull? I'm trying to determine if I should go for the same offer code 2nd time. TIA!

It does not look like I got a hard pull from it. No pull on transunion and no pull on equifax. Dont really have a good way to check experian. I got a letter in the mail stating that i was denied because the offer code had been used, but this letter did not have a credit score on it, indicating to me that no pull was done. I definitely did not get denied based on credit as one of the other commenters suggested.

SpammersAreScum Aug 13, 2016 9:20 am

Well, bother. I had planned to re-apply for Plat when bonus-eligible a year from now, and get a Gold in the meantime. So much for that.

Given the gutting of the Prestige, I'll have to seriously consider an Exec instead of Plat next Aug and drop the Prestige.

NTP9766 Aug 13, 2016 9:49 am

I received the welcome letter for my most recent Platinum card application, and it does contain the 30k/$1k bonus language, so I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to successfully churn another card. I will post back once I received and activate the card if the Bonus Tracker is available.

Below is a current record of my Platinum cards:

CP: Citi Personal Platinum
CB: CitiBusiness Platinum

• CP1: Opened 10/1/15 using public link 4c on FlyerTalk, 50k/$3k (matched to 60k), converted to WE 11/15/15, closed on 3/17/16
  • CP2: Opened 12/22/15 using public link 4c on FlyerTalk, 50k/$3k (matched to 60k), converted to WE 11/15/15, still open
  • CP3: Opened 1/28/16 using Citi "Pre-Qualified" link, 50k/$3k (matched to 60k), converted to WE 3/5/16, closed on 4/21/16
  • CP4: Opened 4/12/16 using Citi "Other cards you may be interested in..." link, 30k/$1k (matched to 50k), no bonus attached to the welcome letter/tracker, never converted to WE, closed on 4/21/16
  • CB1: Opened 4/21/16 using link on AA.com, 30k/$1k (matched to 50k), closed on 8/6/16
  • CP5: Opened 8/8/16 using Citi "Pre-Qualified" link, 30k/$1k, bonus confirmed in welcome letter; waiting for card/Bonus Tracker

If I do receive the bonus on this card, I intend to ask Citi to match me to the 50k mile offer like I did with my CitiBusiness card.

NTP9766 Aug 13, 2016 9:59 am

I have another "datapoint" that I'd like to share, and figured it'd be worth separating the posts. It had been over a while since either my wife or myself received a targeted mailer for the Platinum card, so upon a suggestion I saw on Reddit, I signed up a fake person (with my last name and address) for an AAdvantage account a long time ago. Well, this morning I received a targeted offer for this fake person: Earn 40k miles after $3k spend, and an additional 10k miles for $5k total spend within the first 12 months. My wife received a different targeted mailer this week (just 40k/$3k), and her invitation code was 12 digits long. This new invitation code is 9 digits long, but uses a different URL (citi.com/applynowAAplatinumselectcard).

My wife's mailed did not contain any 24-month language anywhere, on the paper I received or the application online. This new mailer also does not contain any 24-month language on paper or online. I'm still not sure if I'll attempt to use one of these mailers, though. If I do, it'll likely be my wife's mailer for the easier spend. At the very least, I'm still in the clear with the 3/65 rule.