FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Plat/Gold/Bus cards. August 2016: 1 personal & 1 business bonus/24 months. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1784306-citi-aa-plat-gold-bus-cards-august-2016-1-personal-1-business-bonus-24-months.html)

schrute Aug 14, 2016 2:03 pm

Crap

Dang. I was debating signing up for a Gold (got 3 Platinum already).

So this means you can't sign up for a Gold, if you had a Platinum in the last 24 hours?

Is this true for the Business card? Can't sign up for the business card, if I had a personal card in the last 24 months?

SeeBuyFly Aug 14, 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by schrute (Post 27063862)
So this means you can't sign up for a Gold, if you had a Platinum in the last 24 hours?

I believe that's always been true.

SpammersAreScum Aug 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Is this true for the Business card? Can't sign up for the business card, if I had a personal card in the last 24 months?

Presumably you meant "months", not "hours". And the 18-now-24 rules under discussion have no bearing on your ability to sign up for a card; they just determine whether you're eligible for the bonus if you do.

So, answer to the questions you actually asked are, "Yes, you can". The wiki is quite clear that the answers to the two questions you presumably meant to ask are "no bonus" and "yes bonus".

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 27063904)
I believe that's always been true.

Huh? Whether you go with "hours" or "months" I don't think so. Certainly not for "having", and even "applying" seems to be ok until the upcoming change.

sdsearch Aug 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Not clear. Certainly from Aug 28 onward you can't. According to this Doctor of Credit blog, the policy is actually not going to go into effect until Aug 28:
Some people here don't seem to believe that though. You have to come to your conclusion.

And since Citi is taking a couple weeks for approvals lately, plus then another week or so to send you the letter that tells you whether qualified for the bonus or not, there's not necessarily time to wait for any datapoints because they might not arrive until after Aug 28. :eek:

But what's this "had in the last 24 hours" stuff? It matters when opened the Plat card and when you closed the Plat card. It does not matter if you still have the Plat carrd open if you opened it more than 2 years ago.

Please read the "24 months" language on the actual application. It spells all that out.

No. The personal cards all affect each other, but the business card is separate. (And, again, the "24 months" language on the applications spells all that out.)

schrute Aug 14, 2016 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27064666)
Not clear. Certainly from Aug 28 onward you can't. According to this Doctor of Credit blog, the policy is actually not going to go into effect until Aug 28:
Some people here don't seem to believe that though. You have to come to your conclusion.

And since Citi is taking a couple weeks for approvals lately, plus then another week or so to send you the letter that tells you whether qualified for the bonus or not, there's not necessarily time to wait for any datapoints because they might not arrive until after Aug 28. :eek:

But what's this "had in the last 24 hours" stuff? It matters when opened the Plat card and when you closed the Plat card. It does not matter if you still have the Plat carrd open if you opened it more than 2 years ago.

Please read the "24 months" language on the actual application. It spells all that out.

No. The personal cards all affect each other, but the business card is separate. (And, again, the "24 months" language on the applications spells all that out.)

I see.

NTP9766 Aug 15, 2016 7:29 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27064666)

Quoting you from a separate/relevant thread:

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27058846)
I applied for a Citi AA Gold card on Aug 1. Because of their backlog and slow approval process, I didn't get approved till yesterday (11 day days later). Now I have to wait about a week for the letter. That'll be two and a half weeks after applying that I expect I might get the letter.

The backlog may be clearing up. I applied for my latest platinum card on 8/8 and received the welcome letter on 8/13. That said, I'm still waiting for the card, but if history proves accurate in my case, I should get the card by no later than Wednesday. Your experience with a backlog does have me a little worried, because I'm seriously considering using one of my two targeted mailers to apply for my 6th platinum card in the next week, as I have a big vacation coming up and would likely be able to hit the spend pretty quickly. I'd have to wait until tomorrow to apply, just to be safe.

BringBackTWA Aug 15, 2016 8:03 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 27066725)
The backlog may be clearing up. I applied for my latest platinum card on 8/8 and received the welcome letter on 8/13. That said, I'm still waiting for the card, but if history proves accurate in my case, I should get the card by no later than Wednesday. Your experience with a backlog does have me a little worried, because I'm seriously considering using one of my two targeted mailers to apply for my 6th platinum card in the next week, as I have a big vacation coming up and would likely be able to hit the spend pretty quickly. I'd have to wait until tomorrow to apply, just to be safe.

From an approvals standpoint, it appears to be business as usual from my perspective. I applied this morning (8/15) online from a targeted mailer and the application went to pending. Did the typical call in song-and-dance with Citi and was approved within a couple of minutes on the phone. Just my data point.

Will report back if my welcome letter and/or card become significantly delayed.

epaairnow Aug 15, 2016 8:38 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 27066725)
Quoting you from a separate/relevant thread:

We are on the same schedule. :-) I applied for #8 on Aug 8 (had to call in - usually an automatic go and I had even reduced CLs to make sure I was way under my Citi cap - so maybe this was due to sdsearch mention of Citi/loads of apps/fraud) with July 15 expired mailer. Received 50k bonus letter on Friday...usually my cards come in around 7 to 8 days...hoping it is today. Will use same mailer for wife today.

Quick mailer update - the last 3 have been the 40k/10k w/5k spend, only one of them had the 24 month language.

bobert24 Aug 15, 2016 10:48 am

The mention of the backlog delaying approvals has me curious - there's no reason not to call in & get yourself approved when your application goes to pending/"further processing required", is there? Citi hasn't gone full-on Chase and starting making recon/approvals difficult over the phone, have they? Just making sure - I fully expect to have to call for my next app, and don't want to screw myself over.

ninim2200 Aug 15, 2016 10:48 am

Since all the recent changes it seems logical to start taking it easy on the advertisement of Normans in public, it just seems that citi is on a mission to weed us all out. :p

ninim2200 Aug 15, 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 27067735)
The mention of the backlog delaying approvals has me curious - there's no reason not to call in & get yourself approved when your application goes to pending/"further processing required", is there? Citi hasn't gone full-on Chase and starting making recon/approvals difficult over the phone, have they? Just making sure - I fully expect to have to call for my next app, and don't want to screw myself over.

Some people don't like to call, i personally call after each app (with Citi) to get it over with. My wife called yesterday for a Hilton App and got instant approval, some just don't like talking to Citi, i don't blame them.

abcpp Aug 15, 2016 11:16 am

2xDPs: Just shot myself in both feet.

#1: applied for Citi AA Platinum Select card in June 2016 (don't know why I was dragging this out) without reading about this change back in April. Didn't read bonus offer or anything. After spend called them back and demanded my miles and they said "nope". The nice lady on the phone offered me a $25 statement credit after spending $500 in the next month, I asked for miles and she said she doesn't have that.

#2: applied today for Citi AA Gold and was told "unable to approve". Seriously? I have score 798 and they "unable"? What to they think those miles are worth, billions?

Arghhhhhh....

bobert24 Aug 15, 2016 11:43 am

Originally Posted by abcpp (Post 27067901)
#2: applied today for Citi AA Gold and was told "unable to approve". Seriously? I have score 798 and they "unable"? What to they think those miles are worth, billions?

Told by who? The online application results? The general application phone number CSRs? Or recon? If it wasn't recon, it's worth giving them a call.

yoshapman Aug 15, 2016 12:29 pm

Can anyone confirm if you can have 2 Citi AA Business cards at the same time. My wife has had 1 for a year, and they gave her an offer of spending $1,000 over 3 months to waive the annual fee, but I only want to do that if I can sign her up for a 2nd one next year and then cancel the first one right after. I know you can have 2 consumer, not sure about business. Thanks.

SeeBuyFly Aug 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman (Post 27068258)
Can anyone confirm if you can have 2 Citi AA Business cards at the same time. My wife has had 1 for a year, and they gave her an offer of spending $1,000 over 3 months to waive the annual fee, but I only want to do that if I can sign her up for a 2nd one next year and then cancel the first one right after. I know you can have 2 consumer, not sure about business. Thanks.

Did you read the wiki? Specifically, FAQ #4.