FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Plat/Gold/Bus cards. August 2016: 1 personal & 1 business bonus/24 months. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1784306-citi-aa-plat-gold-bus-cards-august-2016-1-personal-1-business-bonus-24-months.html)

bobert24 Aug 13, 2016 10:18 am

I'm not sure if this lends legitimacy to the new terms not starting until 8/28, or to targeted offers not being affected by this change. Either way, here's a data point.

I had a prequalified offer (not "other cards you may be interested in) on citicards.com last week, with no mention of 24 months at all. That offer is still there, with the same terms. While they can't change the terms on physical mailers that are already in peoples' hands, they could have changed the status of their online offers instantly.

bobert24 Aug 13, 2016 10:21 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 27058732)
I received the welcome letter for my most recent Platinum card application, and it does contain the 30k/$1k bonus language, so I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to successfully churn another card. I will post back once I received and activate the card if the Bonus Tracker is available.

Below is a current record of my Platinum cards:

CP: Citi Personal Platinum
CB: CitiBusiness Platinum

• CP1: Opened 10/1/15 using public link 4c on FlyerTalk, 50k/$3k (matched to 60k), converted to WE 11/15/15, closed on 3/17/16
  • CP2: Opened 12/22/15 using public link 4c on FlyerTalk, 50k/$3k (matched to 60k), converted to WE 11/15/15, still open
  • CP3: Opened 1/28/16 using Citi "Pre-Qualified" link, 50k/$3k (matched to 60k), converted to WE 3/5/16, closed on 4/21/16
  • CP4: Opened 4/12/16 using Citi "Other cards you may be interested in..." link, 30k/$1k (matched to 50k), no bonus attached to the welcome letter/tracker, never converted to WE, closed on 4/21/16
  • CB1: Opened 4/21/16 using link on AA.com, 30k/$1k (matched to 50k), closed on 8/6/16
  • CP5: Opened 8/8/16 using Citi "Pre-Qualified" link, 30k/$1k, bonus confirmed in welcome letter; waiting for card/Bonus Tracker

If I do receive the bonus on this card, I intend to ask Citi to match me to the 50k mile offer like I did with my CitiBusiness card.

Very, very useful information. Thanks for reporting back as promised.

mensday Aug 13, 2016 10:52 am

Have a pre=qualified offer for 50K points. There is no 24 month language just "this offer is only valid for new accounts." May just give it a shot.

bobert24 Aug 13, 2016 10:58 am

If you didn't actually click on the link in (what is now) post #1, do it. I didn't at first, and almost missed that this change isn't AA-specific. It applies to any of their "families" of cards - only one of any Hilton card in 24 months, only one TYP earning card in 24 months, etc. Definitely worse than I thought, and definitely changes the strategy.

mia Aug 13, 2016 11:53 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 27058956)
....this change isn't AA-specific. It applies to any of their "families" of cards ...

Broader discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...24-months.html

italdesign Aug 13, 2016 12:35 pm

Asking again:

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 27053507)
Any tips on how to get mailers? Other than buying them on the black market. I never seem to get any useful targeted offer.

NTP9766 Aug 13, 2016 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 27059332)
Asking again:

Read up a few posts. I signed up for a new AAdvantage account using a fake first name (kept the last name the same), and used my current address. Got a targeted offer in the mail a few months later.

beltway Aug 13, 2016 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 27058770)
It had been over a while since either my wife or myself received a targeted mailer for the Platinum card, so upon a suggestion I saw on Reddit, I signed up a fake person (with my last name and address) for an AAdvantage account a long time ago. Well, this morning I received a targeted offer for this fake person

This is genius.

Stivelio Aug 13, 2016 3:03 pm

I think mailers with no 18/24 month language are still working. I was approved for personal plat but will need to wait for online tracker to see the bonus. I used a mailer for the first time with 2 old PP cards already on my account

diseased Aug 13, 2016 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 27059370)
Read up a few posts. I signed up for a new AAdvantage account using a fake first name (kept the last name the same), and used my current address. Got a targeted offer in the mail a few months later.

I signed up all my immediately family members back in March and finally got a 40/3/50/5 targeted offer today! Of course I just applied for the Reserve card for myself and dh a few days ago. Ugh. Have to wait another month before I can use the mailer.

ETA: there is no 18/24 month language in it.

Stivelio Aug 13, 2016 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by diseased (Post 27059988)
I signed up all my immediately family members back in March and finally got a 40/3/50/5 targeted offer today! Of course I just applied for the Reserve card for myself and dh a few days ago. Ugh. Have to wait another month before I can use the mailer.

ETA: there is no 18/24 month language in it.

Looks like quite a few people got new mailers today. Is this possibly a new trick to track or something?

bernyx Aug 14, 2016 6:42 am

I received a mailer with an initiation, for 50k 3k spend, when i go o the link it specifies nothing about having the product recently. I also got an invitation on a flight offering 40k, (aa.flyandapply), on that link, there is wording that says not eliglible if had a card withing 18 mos, however the actual paper mailer which can be mailed in only says offer valid for new accounts, difficult to decide which to try

HGH Aug 14, 2016 9:58 am

My daughter received a targeted offer: 50k miles for $3,000 in three months, $95 annual fee waived first year. Mailer stated you could not have the Citi AA Plat Select MC for the prior 24 months.

I called and asked if i could have that offer and was approved - they never asked for any specific information from the mailer. She didn't ask for my name until we started the application process.

Now to find out what Barclays offers when I cancel that AA card...

StartinSanDiego Aug 14, 2016 11:43 am

I got a pm that said that after you sign up the person for an AA account, getting a few miles in the account will help trigger the mail offers. A quick shopping portal trip to Walmart for, of all things, breakfast cereal, did the trick for the miles. Now waiting, waiting waiting for the offer in the mailbox.

bobert24 Aug 14, 2016 11:56 am

Originally Posted by bernyx (Post 27062095)
I received a mailer with an initiation, for 50k 3k spend, when i go o the link it specifies nothing about having the product recently. I also got an invitation on a flight offering 40k, (aa.flyandapply), on that link, there is wording that says not eliglible if had a card withing 18 mos, however the actual paper mailer which can be mailed in only says offer valid for new accounts, difficult to decide which to try

Go for the 50k mailer. More miles, more likely to work correctly, no downsides. We know those work.

Unless the 40k offer has a lower spend, and you're concerned about being able to meet it. Other than that, there's no question - the 50k mailer is the way to go.