Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi is forcing me to pay for fraudulent transaction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi is forcing me to pay for fraudulent transaction

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
EMV isn't the magic bullet against fraud... someone can steal my credit card and swipe it even if it has a stack of EMVs on it. Chip and pin and not using your bday as the pin is the answer.
It's not the magic bullet, but someone needs to actually steal my card (which I'd notice), rather than just clone it using a mag stripe skimmer.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
See page 40 of the attached rules from Visa. Clearly shows that, in the event of a chargeback with a counterfeit card, providing proof that appropriate authorization was obtained (including a signature) will lift the liability.

"If the card was swiped and transaction was authorized at the point-of-sale, provide your acquirer with a copy of the printed transaction receipt."

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/downlo...-merchants.pdf
I hate to belabor this, and I'm not 100% sure you're wrong, just looking for some solid evidence or experience, but page 40 of that link says:

Transaction Was Counterfeit
(NR) If the transaction was counterfeit, accept the chargeback.
So that would seem to support my position.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:30 am

were u able to get things resolved OP?

I recently have a fraud charge that hasnt passed pending stage. I already called 3 times because when i see this, chase usually would cancel the card and issue me a new one immediately.

first time i called, they told me to call the charging company? *...*
2nd time, they said to wait till it finish pending...
3rd time, they also told me to wait till it finished pending...
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuBu4
were u able to get things resolved OP?

I recently have a fraud charge that hasnt passed pending stage. I already called 3 times because when i see this, chase usually would cancel the card and issue me a new one immediately.

first time i called, they told me to call the charging company? *...*
2nd time, they said to wait till it finish pending...
3rd time, they also told me to wait till it finished pending...
Yes, I did. See post 29.

Most issuers won't allow you to dispute a transaction until it is posted. No point calling them when it is still pending. They will just tell you to wait.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Yes, I did. See post 29.

Most issuers won't allow you to dispute a transaction until it is posted. No point calling them when it is still pending. They will just tell you to wait.
ive always been with Chase, Chase has always cancelled my card and ship me a new one right there and then even when the charge is still pending... i guess different policy.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by BuBu4
ive always been with Chase, Chase has always cancelled my card and ship me a new one right there and then even when the charge is still pending... i guess different policy.
Just had this happen on friday with my IHG card, transaction was barely fresh, pending like it had just happend, i got a text, an email and then I called in and my account was closed and a new card on its way. This was Chase fyi
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
I had a problem with a Citi credit card many years ago. It was super frustrating to deal with them--almost as if they weren't reading my letters. Later on I found out that apparently you send in all this detailed description of what happened with painstakingly gathered evidence, and it gets scanned and flashed up on someone's screen in (I think) Jamaica for about 30 seconds, after which they must reduce your entire complaint to a two-digit code. Since my problem was more of a computer glitch than anything, it did not fit any of the categories and they were unable to fix it. Even though the dispute was only $5, it annoyed me so much that I severed all ties with Citibank, closing not just my credit card but a brokerage account, bank account, and retirement account.

Three years later, I applied for a Citi Chairman card (predecessor of the Prestige card) because the benefits were so good I was willing to endure Citi again. About a week later I received a check in the mail for $5 with a note saying they'd resolved this 3-year-old dispute in my favor. I'm guessing the new account opening process allows someone to spend a bit more than 30 seconds examining an applicant. They probably said, "This guy used to be a customer, let's see what happened," and when they looked at all my letters and the ironclad evidence I'd assembled, thought "holy cow we treated this customer badly."

Of course, throughout my dispute I sent four certified letters return receipt before giving up, so postage alone ran over $5. Nonetheless I was satisfied they finally fixed everything, and I've been delighted with the Chairman and Prestige cards ever since. I love that they are very willing to fix problems with statement credits (e.g., oh, the merchant sent you something defective and wants you to pay return shipping, you can't dispute that but we'll issue a statement credit for the postage.) Of course, Citi still won't get my banking and brokerage business back until I have no reason to switch again.

Anyway, the lessons for this thread are 1) If it seems like nobody is reading your complaint mail, it's basically true, and 2) If you apply for a new Citi credit card, they might take a closer look at what's going on with your previous cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.