Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi is forcing me to pay for fraudulent transaction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi is forcing me to pay for fraudulent transaction

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsk1973
If a card doesn't work, swipe a different card. Shouldn't add more than 30 seconds to the transaction.

Really? Really? After I'm told that the card has been activated and is ready for use? Really? Citi is the only one who does this to me. The only one. Every other card company after they tell you that the card has been activated and is READY FOR USE you can actually go and use it. And I don't want to use another card if I'm trying to meet my minimum spend.

Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Yes, really. Having to make one extra phone call after being extended unsecured credit is the epitome of a First World problem. (And this is doubly true for the churners, who are making out like bandits and have absolutely nothing to complain about.)
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Good day.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Citi's fraud department is a bunch of bozo's with bozo policies...
What was the purchase amount?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Don't worry about having used the online form. Citi accepts it and while it could deny you FCRA protection, it doesn't.
In general I agree that the large banks are good about handling disputes if we use the convenient shortcuts, but what concerns me here is this part:

Originally Posted by cbn42
...they gave me a temporary credit....
About a month later, I was wondering what came of this and went online to see that the temporary credit had been reversed. However, this did not show up on my recent activity, but rather on the date of the original transaction. If I hadn't scrolled back several months, I would have never noticed that they reversed the temporary credit.
If Citi reversed the temporary credit, backdated the debit, and did not provide a separate notice, they clearly are not following the Fair Credit Billing Act process which requires notification. However, I do not understand how they can do this on the paper/PDF statements.

Banks make it easy to dispute charges without following the FCBA process in part because they don't want to be bound by those rules. Unless the amount is trivial I think it is best to followup the online or telephone dispute with a letter, but I am not suggesting that all is lost if you don't.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by blaz
To the OP: here is a link to a blog post that describes the difference between fraud and a dispute. I believe Citi has handled your case the way it did because you disputed the charge instead of reporting it as fraudulent.
I think this nails it in the head. Did the OP get a new account number after he disputed? If not, then this matter probably never reached the fraud department to begin with.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:31 am
mia

Originally Posted by blaz
... I believe Citi has handled your case the way it did because you disputed the charge instead of reporting it as fraudulent.
A dispute is the correct way to report any unauthorized charge on a personal card account. Whether the unauthorized charge is due to a mistake or to fraud is for the issuer to determine.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
A dispute is the correct way to report any unauthorized charge on a personal card account. Whether the unauthorized charge is due to a mistake or to fraud is for the issuer to determine.
I disagree. If you know you didn't make a charge, you should make sure to report it as fraudulent immediately. Otherwise, some scammer could keep using your credit card number.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:29 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jsk1973
... If you know you didn't make a charge, you should make sure to report it .
Agreed, that's what I did, because they were unauthorized transactions.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:10 pm
Suspended

OK. Perhaps I misunderstood your #22.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once a fraudulent charge happened, I want the bank close the existing card and issue a new one. Surprisingly this request has met resistance from both Citi and Chase.

Once my husband's Citi AU card was compromised - 30 days after his single use at eye doctor's office, there were a slew of fraudulent charges in restaurants and supermarkets down in Mexico on a weekend. Citi called on Monday about those charges. Even after I told Citi those were fraudulent charges, the rep still did not want to close the card... I had to insist.

Then on my Freedom card, there was a charge showing up from a gymnastic school in California. I called Chase, the rep said it most likely a mis-coded card number when a customer phoned in to make a payment, and he did not want to close the card. I was like ?! Eventually I tracked down the owner of the gymnastic school (she owns 2 of such outfit) and informed her about the transaction. Eventually Chase informed me it was not a fraudulent charge but the bank was successful to bill back the merchant, so case closed. No new card ever issued. While in this case it might be an honest mistake but it is scary that even though name and billing address are completely different, just a transposed card number could still let transaction go thru. (I know expiration date does not really matter as long as it falls into the valid period of the card.) I hope banks require cvc be used on all telephone / online transactions.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
While in this case it might be an honest mistake but it is scary that even though name and billing address are completely different, just a transposed card number could still let transaction go thru.
I can't believe that, in 2016, non-swipe charges can go through without at least requiring the security code, if not the billing zip code and/or billing phone number (i.e., numerical info. that can be punched in if the cardholder is present but the card is scratched or card reader isn't working).

For online purchases, there's no excuse whatsoever not to require detailed cardholder info.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I hope banks require cvc be used on all telephone / online transactions.
They don't. Amazon never asks for the CVC. And neither does Time Warner Cable. Yes, it is pathetic.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:03 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Update:

Thanks for all the feedback. The problem seems to have been that Citi classified the issue as a dispute with the merchant rather than as fraud. On the online dispute form, I selected "I'm being charged for a transaction that I don't recognize and didn't authorize", which sounds like a fraud report to me, but apparently all online reports are treated as disputes with merchants.

I played the telephone game for a while and then got frustrated going around in circles. I must have made at least 5 phone calls, spoken to CSRs and "supervisors", and sent several e-mails. Finally, I lost my temper and raised my voice a bit (which is out of character for me) and told the representative that it is illegal to charge me for fraudulent transactions and if they didn't get it resolved, I would file a complaint with the OCC. This seemed to get their attention and I was transferred to another "supervisor" who actually seemed to have some authority. He grilled me about the purchase (I guess he thought I was lying) but then said that it would be fixed. A few days later, I received another credit for the charge. So far it hasn't been reversed, so I'm hoping it's permanent this time.

Rather disappointed in Citi. With other issuers, it's never taken more than one phone call or online report.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Update:

Thanks for all the feedback. The problem seems to have been that Citi classified the issue as a dispute with the merchant rather than as fraud. On the online dispute form, I selected "I'm being charged for a transaction that I don't recognize and didn't authorize", which sounds like a fraud report to me, but apparently all online reports are treated as disputes with merchants.

I played the telephone game for a while and then got frustrated going around in circles. I must have made at least 5 phone calls, spoken to CSRs and "supervisors", and sent several e-mails. Finally, I lost my temper and raised my voice a bit (which is out of character for me) and told the representative that it is illegal to charge me for fraudulent transactions and if they didn't get it resolved, I would file a complaint with the OCC. This seemed to get their attention and I was transferred to another "supervisor" who actually seemed to have some authority. He grilled me about the purchase (I guess he thought I was lying) but then said that it would be fixed. A few days later, I received another credit for the charge. So far it hasn't been reversed, so I'm hoping it's permanent this time.

Rather disappointed in Citi. With other issuers, it's never taken more than one phone call or online report.
This is really disappointing to hear. I'm a new Citi customer. All of my older cards are with USAA and Discover, both of which have been awesome. USAA calls me within minutes of any suspicious purchase and I've never had to fight to get a transaction refunded or a new card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.