Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Hi Everyone, I am about to make an application today, would like confirm which application in the wiki I should use that may convert the card to WE later? Or any link should be fine since they are all for the Platinum Select World MC, so anyone of them should convert to WE? Thank you very much for all time and help. Have a great day
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA
Originally Posted by airb330
Anyone else having issues with Citi AA card reporting miles?

I had 3800 miles last statement give or take. 3K in normal spend, 800 additional miles from the 3X Miles on eligible purchases through 12/31/15 promo. Citi says they submitted the 800 bonus miles on the same day of the statement closing. AA says they have not. I've never had an issue with the # earned on my statement matching what was reported to AA. Barclay yes, but never Citi.
Me too. Statement closed 11/13, with shows 50000 bonus + 3xxx spend, but AA only shows 3xxx as posted. Will wait and see. I did complete spend about 2 days before statement closed.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Hi Everyone, I am about to make an application today, would like confirm which application in the wiki I should use that may convert the card to WE later? Or any link should be fine since they are all for the Platinum Select World MC, so anyone of them should convert to WE? Thank you very much for all time and help. Have a great day
none are guaranteed to convert to WE I don't believe...or within a timely manner (some before 1st statement closes, so after 2nd statement...or longer). However any of the links will work....they are for World card...up to Citi to convert it to WE. I have used #11 and lucky 13 several times....and have been 100% successful so far. Hope it continues!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:06 pm

Update

9/9/13 Citi Personal Platinum AA MC (50K bonus posted) - {Still open}
1/15/15 Citi AA Business MC (50K bonus posted) -{Closed Card and Account on 6/30/15}
3/24/15 Citi AA Gold MC (25K bonus posted) -{got converted to MC World Elite somewhere in between Closed card on 6/25/15}
4/20/15 Citi TY Premier MC Elite (50K TY posted) - {Still open}
7/10/15 Declined for Citi AA Bus 8b link - Reason Max number of accounts allowed- Reapply in 18 months
7/21/15 Citi Personal Platinum AA MC - 4c link - {Still open -activated the MC World Elite on 9/14/15; 50K bonus posted on 10/7/15}
10/7/15 3rd Citi Personal Platinum AA MC - 4c link - {Still open; 50K bonus posted on 11/14/15}

Hoping for the 3rd Platinum AA to be converted to a WE soon. I'm going to wait for a couple months anyways till I get any new card anyways.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airb330
Anyone else having issues with Citi AA card reporting miles?

I had 3800 miles last statement give or take. 3K in normal spend, 800 additional miles from the 3X Miles on eligible purchases through 12/31/15 promo. Citi says they submitted the 800 bonus miles on the same day of the statement closing. AA says they have not. I've never had an issue with the # earned on my statement matching what was reported to AA. Barclay yes, but never Citi.
Originally Posted by yztim
Me too. Statement closed 11/13, with shows 50000 bonus + 3xxx spend, but AA only shows 3xxx as posted. Will wait and see. I did complete spend about 2 days before statement closed.
Check your TOTAL balances to see if the bonuses are included in the balances but not showing up as a line item. You may need to go back a few months to reconstruct the ending balance of each previous month so you can be sure if the current month's balance has or hasn't included the "missing" miles.

DH has the annual 10K bonus and a small AA purchase bonus plus the non-AA purchase from his Barclays Aviator card with the statement closed on 11/05.

On Barclays statement it shows the total of the AA miles from AA purchase (2x), non-AA purchase (1x) and the 10K bonus.

In his AA account it shows the AA purchase at 1x and a non AA purchase at 1x in the line entries. The additional AA purchase bonus (additional 1x) AND the 10K annual bonus, are no show. Yet, his ending balance of Nov does include the missing bonuses.

The line entries NEVER shows up, but the total balance of his AA account IS CORRECT.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
Business card denial

I closed my Citi AA Business card after six years, then applied for the new 50K bonus two weeks later. I was auto denied for having "The maximum # of Citi Business cards that we will issue to a business."

When I called to re-con, the rep checked and said that their new agreement with AA is that they can only ever issue one business AA card because, as she said, "Too many people were opening and closing the cards just to get the sign up bonus."

Has anyone else heard this, and if so, have you found a way around it?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:51 pm

Day 1 applied for Citi Thank you premier, and application pending
Day 3 called Citi reconsideration department, and got application approved
Could I just apply for another Citi card on Day 8?
Or do I need to wait 7+ days after the approval date (Day 3) which means day 11? I'm not sure if Citi pulled my credit report again on Day 3
Thank you very much!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Soulag
I closed my Citi AA Business card after six years, then applied for the new 50K bonus two weeks later. I was auto denied for having "The maximum # of Citi Business cards that we will issue to a business."

When I called to re-con, the rep checked and said that their new agreement with AA is that they can only ever issue one business AA card because, as she said, "Too many people were opening and closing the cards just to get the sign up bonus."

Did you close the business account and the master account?

Reps are clueless; they can make up whatever reason they can think of. i would read the wiki to understand how business cards work, its all YMMV.

they will probably mail you a letter stating why you got denied, it might shed some light on the reasoning behind it.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:22 pm

2 things to say about this:
1) Quoth the Wik: Citi CSRs are clueless, and frequently make stuff up
2) Citi Business apps to TOTALLY YMMV. Some people can get lots of them, over and over, and some people can only get one per lifetime. No one knows why...
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
2 things to say about this:
1) Quoth the Wik: Citi CSRs are clueless, and frequently make stuff up
2) Citi Business apps to TOTALLY YMMV. Some people can get lots of them, over and over, and some people can only get one per lifetime. No one knows why...
Thanks for the input. I Was quoting the denial letter that said I had the maximum number of business cards that citi will issue, and had confirmed twice that all of my previous business account numbers were closed. Should I try writing a recon letter to the Executive Office? That recently worked for me in getting a second Alaskair card after an initial denial from B of A.........
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by Happy
The email does not give any info on bonus. However it is clearly stated in the Approval Letter. In fact that was discovered why such wordings were important by folks in the Exec thread - Exec was freely churnable UNTIL one day people found out they did not get bonus after spending $10K. That was when people dug around the data points and found the Approval Letters were worded DIFFERENTLY. It was also proven in 2 or 3 HHonors cards cases when the 75K offer came about and some did not mind a hard pull to test it. No words on bonus, no bonus after meeting $1K spend.

Visa would not have any impact on the MC bonus as it was a different product.
Now what is a valuable data is the W that was canceled before converted and within 18 months.
A more detailed timeline would help the community better understand the implication on the W, W to WE, cancellation of W or WE, and subsequent outcome on new bonuses.

Right now there is only one data point on the X'ed WE, which resulted to NO bonus on subsequent card. No other data point on situation like your wife's as no one wants to risk the bonus by cancelling the previous cards. This makes your upcoming data point a very important and interesting one!

It is a very hidden feature under the Reward Summary on the right hand side where it shows the AA logo and miles earned.
Click that Reward Summary, it will bring you to a screen where you see the tracker, both in words and in a Circle graphic.
It will tell you how many days have lapsed and how many days remain for you to earn the "Welcome Bonus".
Citi would also send you a reminder if 1/2 of the time has elapsed and you still haven't earned that bonus. Husband's card is not activated for 7 weeks after it was sent as we were on an extensive trip in Europe. I saw an email to remind him "you still have time to earn your Welcome Bonus" when we had 2 more weeks to come home. We did rush out to do the spend in 3 days once we got home, 3 weeks before the cut off.
So, here's the update. My wife received her second W card (in less than 3 months) in the mail today (the one with the targeted 60,000 mile offer). Also in the mail was the "Account Approval Notice" for the aforementioned card. It clearly states: "Earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening." I activated the card and linked it to her online account, opened up the tracker link and it also says 60,000 bonus miles.

Now, here's something else interesting. She has already been credited with the 50,000 mile bonus from the card that has been open a little over 2 months now, even though she is about $140 short of the required $3,000 spend.

This is going to be interesting to see if Citi catches this and claws back any of the 110,000 miles my wife will have earned.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and had confirmed twice that all of my previous business account numbers were closed.
You're stlll not being clear. Does "all" refer to number of cards, or accounts per card? Ie, did you confirm that for each previous business card, both the card account and the master account were closed? And did you verify that the master account was closed by name (not just close "all" my accounts, Citi might not take that to mean "close my master account").

I closed my Citi AA Business card after six years, then applied for the new 50K bonus two weeks later.
Well, put yourself in Citi's shoes. What would you expect Citi to think when they saw that you applied for a card two weeks after canceling an indentical one you'd had for 6 years? Gosh, if even you cancelled both the card account and the master account, they may not have finished processing it all yet (waiting to see if any last stuff comes through or whatever). Did you really have to be suddenly that impatient (after holding the previous card so long so patiently)?

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 16, 2015 at 7:41 pm
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by elc2414
So, here's the update. My wife received her second W card (in less than 3 months) in the mail today (the one with the targeted 60,000 mile offer). Also in the mail was the "Account Approval Notice" for the aforementioned card. It clearly states: "Earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening." I activated the card and linked it to her online account, opened up the tracker link and it also says 60,000 bonus miles.

Now, here's something else interesting. She has already been credited with the 50,000 mile bonus from the card that has been open a little over 2 months now, even though she is about $140 short of the required $3,000 spend.

This is going to be interesting to see if Citi catches this and claws back any of the 110,000 miles my wife will have earned.
It is better to charge remaining $140 in the required timeframe on previous MC to avoid any possibility of a claw back
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by boris10475
It is better to charge remaining $140 in the required timeframe on previous MC to avoid any possibility of a claw back
Oh, you can count on that!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You're stlll not being clear. Does "all" refer to number of cards, or accounts per card? Ie, did you confirm that for each previous business card, both the card account and the master account were closed? And did you verify that the master account was closed by name (not just close "all" my accounts, Citi might not take that to mean "close my master account").

I had one card and confirmed that the master account was closed.

Well, put yourself in Citi's shoes. What would you expect Citi to think when they saw that you applied for a card two weeks after canceling an indentical one you'd had for 6 years? Gosh, if even you cancelled both the card account and the master account, they may not have finished processing it all yet (waiting to see if any last stuff comes through or whatever). Did you really have to be suddenly that impatient (after holding the previous card so long so patiently)?
I closed the account because the CL was to low to be useful for my business and the retention agent said it would be a hard inquiry to request an increase, so I thought I might as well try for a sign up bonus if it was going to cost an inquiry. I Was planning to wait for a few months, but then Citi started a limited time offer for 50K miles and it seemed to be a good opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.