Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Zwwang666
Is the citi buisness AA card still churnable (link 8b)?
Suggestion: read the wiki at the top of this page--specifically, 1. Are these AA cards churnable?.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I signed up for a citi AA exec about 13 months ago. Last month I downgraded the card to the citi AA plat. By downgrading did I reset the clock to another 18 months or can I get the bonus again in five months? If I close the account now do I then have to wait 18 months from the date of closure?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by livestrongforever
I did get an offer from Citi Amex HIlton for 70k in an email with 3k spending. dont know if thats good or if I qualify for that.
That's definitely good, assuming you have a use for HH points. Best public offer I know of is for 50K. If you haven't applied for more than one Citi card in the last 65 days, and no Citi cards in the last 8 days, you do indeed qualify.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
That's definitely good, assuming you have a use for HH points. Best public offer I know of is for 50K. If you haven't applied for more than one Citi card in the last 65 days, and no Citi cards in the last 8 days, you do indeed qualify.
Should have just said, yes you qualify. Targeted offers trump most other qualification rules. Just follow the 8/65 day schedule.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:58 pm

Interesting reading regarding the Citi AA Plat World --> World Elite discussion.

My wife and I just recently got into the hobby.

ME Citi AA Plat (50k) World MC 4/29/15
WIFE Citi AA Gold (25k) World MC 4/29/15

I noticed recently that on the citi.com website there was a notation that "We are mailing you a new card". And I didn't understand why. I figured, maybe a data breach, or whatever. Today the wife's Citi Gold was transformed from a World to a World Elite. I assume a World Elite Platinum is in the mail for me and I will receive next week. I did some searching on reddit and found that the World -> World Elite has occurred before for Citi AA cards.

I am intrigued in regards to applying for another Plat (myself) or Gold (wife). We have met minimum spends on both and then have subsequently applied and received a Gold (myself) and Plat (wife). My concern is that we do not MS; it is all natural spend, and I don't want to waste 3k in spend if it will lead to no bonus. If we get some good data points in regards to World -> World Elite, I would consider trying for another Gold because the spending requirement is only $750, or perhaps the $1k spend for the 30k Plat.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Suggestion: read the wiki at the top of this page--specifically, 1. Are these AA cards churnable?.
What does the highlighted words mean?

This CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® offer is not available to you if you already have a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card account. This offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® cardmembers who apply to this of
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:53 pm

I am a little confusing.

Hi Zwwang666 -

The answer, from what I can tell is 'maybe'. It appears that some people are able to churn it on a 90 day schedule. It may or may not require that you cancel your business card completely (master business account and all cards under it). I think some people have been successful not cancelling their master account.

I was just denied for this card. I had been approved in Oct 2014. I cancelled the master business account and card under it about 10 days ago. 3 days ago I applied for my 2nd citibusiness card. I was instructed to call in, and I was declined - I was told that it was due to a time requirement (I assume not allowing enough time to pass since my last card...). As far as citi cards, this application came 63 days in (on the 8/65 rule).

I have a Fico well over 800 and 6 figure business income. So I either got caught on the 8/65 rule or there is a different "not enough time has passed rule" for this card (like just cancelling the same card a week prior? I don't know). I kinda think I got caught in the 8/65, but have never had a problem doing 62 or 63 days in the past.

You quote this
This CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® offer is not available to you if you already have a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card account. This offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® cardmembers who apply to this of
And that confused me as well, but I think the people who are currently churning this successfully find that quoted statement to not be accurate.

Last edited by ScubaAddict; Jun 13, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:25 pm

Thanks ScubaAddict for a nice explanation.

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Hi Zwwang666 -

The answer, from what I can tell is 'maybe'. It appears that some people are able to churn it on a 90 day schedule. It may or may not require that you cancel your business card completely (master business account and all cards under it). I think some people have been successful not cancelling their master account.

I was just denied for this card. I had been approved in Oct 2014. I cancelled the master business account and card under it about 10 days ago. 3 days ago I applied for my 2nd citibusiness card. I was instructed to call in, and I was declined - I was told that it was due to a time requirement (I assume not allowing enough time to pass since my last card...). As far as citi cards, this application came 63 days in (on the 8/65 rule).

I have a Fico well over 800 and 6 figure business income. So I either got caught on the 8/65 rule or there is a different "not enough time has passed rule" for this card (like just cancelling the same card a week prior? I don't know). I kinda think I got caught in the 8/65, but have never had a problem doing 62 or 63 days in the past.

You quote this

And that confused me as well, but I think the people who are currently churning this successfully find that quoted statement to not be accurate.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
I did get an offer from Citi Amex HIlton for 70k in an email with 3k spending. dont know if thats good or if I qualify for that.
Wait a minute, was the offer from Citi, in which case the 8/65 rule applies, or from Amex?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
Wait a minute, was the offer from Citi, in which case the 8/65 rule applies, or from Amex?
Citi has issued Citi branded AMEX cards in the past. I don't know about now. I just assumed the OP had it right. But thinking it over, my old Citi AMEX AA card was recently replaced with an MC card. So unlikely they are still issuing the AMEX version.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by carlitos
Hey Anomalychick, Remember the AA Plat is NOT the AA Exec
It does not come home immediately after being approved (24 - 48 hrs). It takes the normal 8 to 10 days to get home. Give me a couple more days and I will let you know if I am elegible for the 50 K miles after $3,000 spend or not. I did use 4c to apply and have an open AA Plat World MC converted into World Elite a couple months ago.
Success !!!

Just received the letter and the card and the 50K bonus is confirmed. Thanks to the FT Community for it.

First Card (08/2014): AA Citi World MC with 50 K Miles
Then converted by Citi to World Elite MC (02/2015) and still open.

Second Card (06/2015) AA Citi World MC again with 50 K Miles using 4c.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:32 pm

Citi has issued Citi branded AMEX cards in the past. I don't know about now. I just assumed the OP had it right. But thinking it over, my old Citi AMEX AA card was recently replaced with an MC card. So unlikely they are still issuing the AMEX version.
Citi only issues MC now, I believe. It never issued AmEx Hilton cards, those come directly from AmEx.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
Success !!!

Just received the letter and the card and the 50K bonus is confirmed. Thanks to the FT Community for it.

First Card (08/2014): AA Citi World MC with 50 K Miles
Then converted by Citi to World Elite MC (02/2015) and still open.

Second Card (06/2015) AA Citi World MC again with 50 K Miles using 4c.
Awesome!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a little confusing.

Some people can churn it without restrictions, some people can churn it only if they close both the previous card and its master account, some people can churn only if they do that plus wait some number of months, and some people can't churn it at all.

And even the same people sometimes move between one of the above categories and another! (For example, for two of three applications someone was able to churn, and then suddenly they got denied under the same circumstances where they previously would get approved.)

And there's no way ahead of time to know which category Citi will put you in at this point.

Though for starters I think most people need to close both the previous card and its master account to even have a chance.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Citi only issues MC now, I believe. It never issued AmEx Hilton cards, those come directly from AmEx.
Maybe so, but I do have a Citi AA AMEX card in my "card collection", now replaced by Citi with a MC, issued in Nov 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.