Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:33 pm
jk2

So, the future/current Citi's plan is to convert all existing AA Visa/Amex cards to Mastercards, correct?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:33 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jk2
So, the future/current Citi's plan is to convert all existing AA Visa/Amex cards to Mastercards, correct?
I guess this explains why all of the links in the Wiki are MC and none are for Visa
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:27 pm

Hi,
I plan to apply for a new card tomorrow. There is a large purchase I will be making in the next few days. Would like to use the new card, but not sure it will arrive in time. Am I correct that I can get the new account number and details, if approved, over the phone by calling in and requesting this info? Thanks in advance for any tips!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miles4sheli
Hi,
I plan to apply for a new card tomorrow. There is a large purchase I will be making in the next few days. Would like to use the new card, but not sure it will arrive in time. Am I correct that I can get the new account number and details, if approved, over the phone by calling in and requesting this info?
No, I've never heard of them doing that, especially if the large purchase in not even an AA airline ticket. (Some banks that issue airline credit cards may give you a temporary card number and expiration date that you can use online at that airline's website only.)

And, no, the card will likely take a week or even a bit longer to arrive after approval. (Citi generally does not agree to send "ordinary" AA cards expedited.) And approval is not necessarily on the same day as the day you apply either.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
It's their current plan. The actual conversion will take place in the future (for any cards where it hasn't taken place already). Rumors are that the conversion timing may be tied to your card's annual renewal timing.

Anyway, so cancel them while you can without (re)starting an 18-month clock. As long as you cancel them while they're Visa/Amex, that has nothing to do with an MC 18-month clock. Once they're converted to MC, cancelling them will (re)start a (new) 18-month clock.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by miles4sheli
Hi,
I plan to apply for a new card tomorrow. There is a large purchase I will be making in the next few days. Would like to use the new card, but not sure it will arrive in time. Am I correct that I can get the new account number and details, if approved, over the phone by calling in and requesting this info? Thanks in advance for any tips!
You might try getting an Exec, they ship fast.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Data point: Just applied y-day for the Business AA card and was denied again. Last denial for that card was January of this year. This time the reason they gave me over the phone (spoke to a manager) is that they see that I had this card before (well it was VISA, and now is MC) and I received the bonus and I closed the card last October (around 8 months). These are his words. I asked how long it would take to be eligible again. He said that would be proprietary info and can't tell me. I wonder if there is now a clock, that resets even after closing, for the Business card, as well.
Currently, I also have w Citi the personal visa AA card plus one more personal, and a checking account w them.

So, the Business is a no go for me twice! I give up.

I wonder if I should apply for the personal AA MC in 7 days. My personal current AA CC is a Visa and it's still open and I have it since 2013. So it should work, based on the data we have. Right?

P.S. They pulled EQ and my score is around 790

Last edited by pianistat; Jun 3, 2015 at 10:05 pm
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by pianistat
I wonder if I should apply for the personal AA MC in 7 days. My personal current AA CC is a Visa and it's still open and I have it since 2013. So it should work, based on the data we have. Right?
I currently have a Platinum Visa, also opened in 2013. I applied for the Gold MC on 5/22 (instant approval), and the Platinum MC on 6/1 (also instant approval). I had reasons for doing the Gold first, but in hindsight I would do Platinum first. Of course, YMMV.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:39 pm

Update:

Just got the approval letter and there is no bonus listed on my wife's third Platinum card for the year, so it seems that 2 is the limit or something.

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
In response to a couple of questions, I checked and our 1/18/2015 MCs said "World" on the back and they were replaced in February/March with cards that said "World Elite." Our May 11 and May 15 cards also said "World" on the back.

I decided to see if maybe there is no restriction on churning the 50K Platinum MCs, so my wife just applied and was approved for her third 50K MC this year. I will report back when I find out about bonus information.

January - 50K $2000 - Offer #3
May #1 - 50K $3000 - Offer #4B
May #2 - 50K $3000 - Offer #4C

It may be that they are only looking at closing cards not opening them. Or she may get no bonus on the latest card. Or, something else.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:56 am

Alright gents here is my current experience.

Nov 2014 - Citi AA Personal Plat. (Instant Approval)
January 2015 - Citi AA Business. (Pending/Approved - Requested me to call for more info, approved after call)
Today - Citi AA Business. (Pending - Requested for me to call for more info, haven't called yet)

So I've definitely waited the 95 days from the last business application, but I did keep the old business account open, so that could make a difference.

What do you think my approval odds are if I call tomorrow? Without the points I'm in a bit of a pickle for an award I want.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by whoknew89
Alright gents here is my current experience.

Nov 2014 - Citi AA Personal Plat. (Instant Approval)
January 2015 - Citi AA Business. (Pending/Approved - Requested me to call for more info, approved after call)
Today - Citi AA Business. (Pending - Requested for me to call for more info, haven't called yet)

So I've definitely waited the 95 days from the last business application, but I did keep the old business account open, so that could make a difference.

What do you think my approval odds are if I call tomorrow? Without the points I'm in a bit of a pickle for an award I want.
I think they are excellent. "Call in" usually means "verify name or address, maybe move credit around." I think that if they were going to deny you they would just do it, no need to have you call so that they can deny you on the phone.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR
Data point:

Opened Platinum select MC back in ~April 2014, just got 50k offer on Platinum 50k offer letter and card in mail last week. Didn't have to wait 18 months. Also, I converted my old Platinum to Bronze on May 20 2015.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:00 pm

Update:

Just got the approval letter and there is no bonus listed on my wife's third Platinum card for the year, so it seems that 2 is the limit or something.
So for January and May #1 they are both MC, and both got 50k bonus already?
Great data point!

Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:05 pm

I think they are excellent. "Call in" usually means "verify name or address, maybe move credit around." I think that if they were going to deny you they would just do it, no need to have you call so that they can deny you on the phone.
Thanks! Called and they just wanted to move credit around. Offered me 3.7k or moving my 20k limit around from my other AA business card. Now just to cross my fingers and hope I get the bonus.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by labyrinth
So for January and May #1 they are both MC, and both got 50k bonus already?
Great data point!

The January one was received, the May one confirmed on chat and in letter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.