Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
I am not interested in Amex cards, bcoz i may not be able to do MS on amex cards , FR issues and no bill pay in walmart
It's going to cost far less and be much quicker with the higher multiplier on the Amex if you're doing grocery store MS.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
It's going to cost far less and be much quicker with the higher multiplier on the Amex if you're doing grocery store MS.

very much true. just i need to spend half the amount which i plan to spend on citi card.

But i am planning to buy gift cards to reach 40k / diamond status, and amex very clearly states that eligible purchases does not include prepaid cards and gift card. i have PRG and i buy gift cards from grocery store to get bonus points.

But MS on amex card may lead to FR / shut down and most important thing is i cannot liquidate 10k per month. i just have 1 serve account.

if it is a visa card , i can liquidate 10 k by directly using it for bill pay at walmart .

I am also not sure , how citi will react if i put 10 k / month and bill pay thru walmart.

Thats why iam looking for suggestions
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
I got my card a couple of months ago. Any idea how much time it takes for the $100 credit to post to the account after the stay? Thanks!
I stayed on 6/25 and the $100 credit posted on my next statement date, 7/10.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:34 am

The GC route is no longer a free/MM anymore, so just know that you'll be paying ~$5 per GC and then liquidation costs for MOs since you won't be able to do that much MS with Serve/Gobank alone. 40k is a lot of work with GCs. You'd be better off opening a few bank accounts and funding via CC. you won't earn the multiplier points though.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
The GC route is no longer a free/MM anymore, so just know that you'll be paying ~$5 per GC and then liquidation costs for MOs since you won't be able to do that much MS with Serve/Gobank alone. 40k is a lot of work with GCs. You'd be better off opening a few bank accounts and funding via CC. you won't earn the multiplier points though.

i can easily get 10k worth of GC per month from simon mall and use the same GC to pay bills in walmart for the visa card.

only concern is whether citi is ok with that or not.

Most of the people may not have 40k spend per year using CC. Even if they have they must have other valuable cards to spend that 40k. So to gain diamond GC purchase may be the best option.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
hello guys.......iam planning for hilton conrad maldives in 2016 dec or 2017 jan.

This is the plan to achieve the goal for 7 days stays

1) Apply for citi HH Visa sign card get 2 night certificates in feb / march 2016
2) MS for 40k to reach diamond . Points earned 40*3= 120k + 25% gold = 150k points
3) MS for another 50 k . Points earned 50 *3=150k + 50% diamond = 225k
4) Use 2 night certificates + 375k points for 4 nights + 5th night free for diamond status.
You will need to MS an additional 35k.
The 25% gold bonus and 50% diamond bonus apply to elite status totals and do not count as points that can be used for hotel stays.
MS'ing 125k in gift cards on one CC, in less than a year, could be a challenge.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Easier just to get the Reserve for the 2 nights

Get the Citi Hilton Visa Sig for 80k
Get AMEX Hilton Surpass for 80k
Get AMEX Hilton HHonors for 60k
Get Hawaiian CC for 35k and convert to Hilton at 1.5 for 52.5k points

Find another way to get the other 27.5k which is quite easy. Then book the special AMEX offer of 4 nights at a Cat 10 for 300k total points, cash in 2 reserve nights, and you have 6 nights for free at the Maldives.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Easier just to get the Reserve for the 2 nights

Get the Citi Hilton Visa Sig for 80k
Get AMEX Hilton Surpass for 80k
Get AMEX Hilton HHonors for 60k
Get Hawaiian CC for 35k and convert to Hilton at 1.5 for 52.5k points

Find another way to get the other 27.5k which is quite easy. Then book the special AMEX offer of 4 nights at a Cat 10 for 300k total points, cash in 2 reserve nights, and you have 6 nights for free at the Maldives.
Where are you seeing an 80k bonus for the Citi no fee HHonors card?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:01 am

Now i thought of applying 2 citi card one for myself and spouse to get 4 free nights at this property. Now iam planning to take my parents also there , so this is how iam going to plan

Myself - 1 citi - 2 night cert - spend 20 k - 60k points
1 80k amex card - spend 20k - 120 k points
40k spend for diamond status

So i can book 4 nights - 2 night cert + 180 k points

My spouse
1 citi card - 2 night cert - 60 k spend - 180k points

There is an excellent thread for this property
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...sland-mdv.html
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
i can easily get 10k worth of GC per month from simon mall and use the same GC to pay bills in walmart for the visa card.

only concern is whether citi is ok with that or not.

Most of the people may not have 40k spend per year using CC. Even if they have they must have other valuable cards to spend that 40k. So to gain diamond GC purchase may be the best option.
It's hard but not impossible. I put $20K on Amex Platinum in around 50 days to get 100K bonus MR -- I did have to get on phone with Amex twice for fraud alerts. My suggestion would be to start slow -- $7 K first month, $10K next and then $12K the following months. Also, vary the size of the transactions at Simon and make a few of them a month. I have never bought GC at Simon Malls but from what I have read, there are fewer fraud alerts than if you bought GCs at CVS or grocery stores.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:56 am

Now i thought of applying 2 citi card one for myself and spouse to get 4 free nights at this property. Now iam planning to take my parents also there , so this is how iam going to plan

Myself - 1 citi - 2 night cert - spend 20 k - 60k points
1 80k amex card - spend 20k - 120 k points
40k spend for diamond status
AFAIK the 40k must be spent on a single card, the spending isn't pooled across all of your HHonors CCs.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
It's hard but not impossible. I put $20K on Amex Platinum in around 50 days to get 100K bonus MR -- I did have to get on phone with Amex twice for fraud alerts. My suggestion would be to start slow -- $7 K first month, $10K next and then $12K the following months. Also, vary the size of the transactions at Simon and make a few of them a month. I have never bought GC at Simon Malls but from what I have read, there are fewer fraud alerts than if you bought GCs at CVS or grocery stores.
CVS or grocery may not allow to buy GC in bulk. I may not spend that much on Amex

AFAIK the 40k must be spent on a single card, the spending isn't pooled across all of your HHonors CCs.
Then ill spend 40k on citi card. Worried abt amex FR
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Easy Way to Hilton Diamond Status

It’s now easy to get perks like lounge access, free breakfast, and room upgrades at Hilton hotels!

Hilton is offering Diamond elite status through March 2017 to folks who can prove elite status in certain hotel programs, including IHG Platinum status. All you have to do is email Hilton with a screenshot of your IHG account.

This is a no-brainer if you have the Chase IHG card, because it comes with automatic IHG Platinum status.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by satman40

It’s now easy to get perks like lounge access, free breakfast, and room upgrades at Hilton hotels!

Hilton is offering Diamond elite status through March 2017 to folks who can prove elite status in certain hotel programs, including IHG Platinum status. All you have to do is email Hilton with a screenshot of your IHG account.

This is a no-brainer if you have the Chase IHG card, because it comes with automatic IHG Platinum status.
Yup, this was the next thing I was going to mention, but they also need tons of points in addition to status.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by satman40

Yup, this was the next thing I was going to mention, but they also need tons of points in addition to status.

i dont have any hotel cards till now. I just came into the hobby 4 months back and opened around 8 new cards within short span of time. Ill wait for 2 or 3 months and then planning to open citi and amex hilton cards and will do MS on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.