Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Funding CitiGold (or other) account with credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAD_flyer
Citi No Longer Allows Funding New Checking Accounts by CC as of 08-Feb-2016. Below information is historic.

1-800-745-1534 TO FUND

Cards that have been reported to NOT WORK

CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard - Will not load and loads as cash

Capital One

Barclay Priceline

Chase

Cards that have been report to WORK

Barclay Aviator

Citi AAdvantage

Citi Thank You Premier

BofA Travel card

BofA Alaska
Print Wikipost

Funding CitiGold (or other) account with credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by euromannn
You can downgrade any time to avoid fees.

BUT, if you downgrade before 5 months after opening you will lose the bonus.
My main question was: If you got the 50k AA miles bonus for CG checking, does it say "CITI AFFILIATE" on your aadvantage account?

Where do you know you got the bonus?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
My main question was: If you got the 50k AA miles bonus for CG checking, does it say "CITI AFFILIATE" on your aadvantage account?

How many 50K bonuses are you waiting on right now? I also want someone who's received the bonus to answer your question so we'll all know what to watch for in our AAdvantage accounts. But in the meantime, are you expecting so many 50K installments right now from various promotions that it's difficult to figure out which one is which, or is this particular 50K deposit quite likely to be the one from the Citigold promo?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Ha ha. I was wondering the same thing. Maybe this guy is a power churner or something.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:17 pm

My citi gold account shows NOTHING about the miles.

I had 50k promo on AA credit card and was waiting for that and also waiting for the AA miles promo on CG checking.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
My citi gold account shows NOTHING about the miles.

I had 50k promo on AA credit card and was waiting for that and also waiting for the AA miles promo on CG checking.
So you didn't see "CITI AFFILIATE" on your AAdvantage statement? I'm confused.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:27 pm

I'm just watching my AAdvantage account waiting for a 50K deposit with a description other than CITICARD BONUS MILES. I'm not aware of a Citigold bonus tracker like you get with Citi credit cards.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
So you didn't see "CITI AFFILIATE" on your AAdvantage statement? I'm confused.
I did see it with 50k miles. Is it for the CC bonus or the CG checking bonus?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: KLM PLAT, Qatar PLAT, AA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by asur
One of the representatives I talked to stressed multiple times that business credits would not be accepted. Given that you only get two tries and there's potential for denial due to a fraud alert I thought the risk was too high and have only tried personal cards. People have Said that their business cards were declined, but I don't know if there's a Chase Ink case. Also a note, CSP supposedly funds as a cash advance so that might be an issue too.
I was hopeful for a recent data point on any chase loads? Has anyone gone down that route?

Busines Ink
Hyatt

etc.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by kyroadrunner
I haven't heard this. Citi will claw back the AA miles once awarded?
Yes, Citi rep claim's that must wait until after points post. Rep I spoke with claim both promos (AA or TY) points will post 90 days AFTER you comply with signup requirements.

Last edited by euromannn; Feb 6, 2016 at 2:44 pm
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by FreakingFlyer
Citigold or basic checking. I've done 2 basics over the years. Works the same way, but no fees with a lower minimum balance.

1. Have you been able to simultaneously been able to FUND more than one account at the same time with same card?

2. Wish to open CITIGOLD Checking & Savings account and FUND from same card. Thus I would expect to have to wait until I pay off the FUNDING from checking account and wait until payment is posted then open savings account with sam card?

I dropped the CA on a Capital One VISA but have read that card won't work with funding. I will use my Citi CC.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:50 pm

1. Can you open any Savings account and FUND using Citi CC(that gets TY points) and then get TY points?

2. Is there a maximum of savings accounts you can open in some period of time like one year?

3. do all banks allow savings accounts to be FUNDED or is there a way to know? Can we start making list of banks that we can FUND that have low balance requirements.

4. Is there a LIMIT to the number of times per year you can use a CITI CC to fund a savings or checking account?

Basically wondering if you can FUND different savings accounts multiple times per years with Citi card and get TY points for each savings account funded?

Last edited by euromannn; Feb 7, 2016 at 10:26 am
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:56 pm

Does it matter how the purchases are made to meet the $1k spend? Specifically, does it matter if the chargers are marked as debit or credit?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by seanmh
Does it matter how the purchases are made to meet the $1k spend? Specifically, does it matter if the chargers are marked as debit or credit?
The charges have to be on the debit card, but what I'm not sure is if they have to be "PIN" purchases. I loaded my Serve card at the same RA twice, one day apart-- one says "debit purchase", the other says "debit PIN purchase". I then went to a WM to buy a MO, and that's coded as "debit PIN purchase" as well. I remember a few years ago when I opened another Citi checking account (not CG) and the WM MO purchase counted as debit purchase. I don't remember how that one was coded.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:32 am

Anyone have personal experience with trying to fund a Citi checking acct with a Diners Club MasterCard (issued by Bank of Montreal)?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:46 pm

Funding Citigold account with CC if you opened in branch?

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me if you can fund your Citigold account with CC if you opened in branch? I opened my account in branch and it seems a lot of blogs are saying you cannot fund with a CC over the phone if you open in branch. There is a separate form you can fax, and I'm wondering if you can fund your account still using that form even if you opened in a branch, or if you can't. Any data points on whether people who opened citigold were able to used their CC to fund their initial deposit?

And if not, can you just close your citigold account and reopen it the next day tomorrow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.