Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Costco replacing Amex with Citi co-branded VISA, March 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Citi to become Costco credit card issuer.
Starting in 2016.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vis...ist=beforebell
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:24 am

Costco replacing Amex with Citi co-branded VISA

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/costc...sa-citi-2015-3
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: HHonors Gold;Amex Platinum
Costco replacing Amex with Visa and Citi

Guess I'll start using my citi card.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

1. Thread transferred to Citi forum because Citi will be the issuer of the new co-branded card.

2. There is already extensive discussion in the American Express forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ch-2016-a.html
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
It could be a big boost to the thankyou rewards program if there is a card that gets bonus points for Costco spend. I hope to see this happen instead of just a cash back card
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Citi is pursuing an interesting strategy in issuing co-branded cards. They have partnered with one airline (AA), one hotel chain (Hilton), one online travel agency (Expedia), and now one club store (Costco). (I think they also issue cards for some other retailers, such as Macy's, haven't kept track.) This allows them to fully support their partners because they are not also issuing cards for a direct competitor.

Costco is also on an unusual course by accepting VISA in the USA, but MasterCard in Canada. This has the benefit of maintaining a relationship with both networks, but it means consumers who shop cross border may be confused or inconvenienced.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:37 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The real strategy question in my mind is whether the co-branded card is a cash-back card to a Thank You Points card.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:37 am

@mia There is a small niche of people living on the Canadian border who this *might* impact. As far as I know, Canadians are the only ones who benefit from lower grocery prices by shopping across the border. I know the Bellingham, WA location is an example of a Costco that is bombarded by Canadians in search of cheap milk, though this might have died down a bit with the strengthening USD.

My guess is that the majority of these Canadians pay cash anyway due to forex fees on Canadian-issues credit cards, so the Visa/MC thing isn't an issue anyway.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:49 pm

How does a switch line this usually work? Will Amex close the existing account and then you have to re-apply with Citi?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by voodoogirl
How does a switch line this usually work? Will Amex close the existing account and then you have to re-apply with Citi?

in most cases Amex will just close your account and Citi will open a new account for you under the new bank/ownership (usually without a new credit pull)
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:06 pm

A bit disappointed that its a visa. 2% cash back on amex and mc... no 2% visa. Maybe this will change that.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Citi is pursuing an interesting strategy in issuing co-branded cards. They have partnered with one airline (AA), one hotel chain (Hilton), one online travel agency (Expedia), and now one club store (Costco). (I think they also issue cards for some other retailers, such as Macy's, haven't kept track.)
Yes, Citi is co-branded with several retailers: Macy's, Sears/Kmart, Home Depot, Bloomingdales, Staples, Radio Shack, and some smaller retailers. I know as these are some of the cards I closed when I completely revamped my entire credit portfolio to pursue TRAVEL! Now I won't buy anything unless miles or points are earned.

Citi will be a good partner for Costco customers. They did a brilliant job for me when Sears would not credit me over $785 for selling me an "out of stock" TV.

Last edited by mia; Mar 2, 2015 at 6:24 pm Reason: formatting
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
You can bet Citi Reps will have a table at Costco, and the 2% will be there, plus 4% gas

Look for a nice sign up bonus,

Costco has been using V MC online orders for a while...

Who knows may get some AA Miles..
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by satman40
You can bet Citi Reps will have a table at Costco, and the 2% will be there, plus 4% gas

Look for a nice sign up bonus,

Costco has been using V MC online orders for a while...

Who knows may get some AA Miles..
Who knows, maybe even "free" costco membership if you know when/who to ask.. As we know, Citi can be very giving when they want to be (thanks citi for the continuous batches of AA miles, I've put them to good use)
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by NDN
The real strategy question in my mind is whether the co-branded card is a cash-back card to a Thank You Points card.
This is my concern about this Costco change in cards. I prefer a cash back card similar to the current Amex that offers extra for defined categories. It would be great if the new card would keep a similar earning structure and add a bonus for Costco shopping as well.

If the earning structure changes dramatically from the current one, I see no personal advantage to using a new Visa over the 6-8 that I already carry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.