Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by ReverendFunk
Good morning,

My first month with the Thank You Preferred, i went hard and spent 14K throughout the month, about 12K of it on VRs at 5x.
Where can I cast my ballot for MVP?!?

Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Trying to figure out what to cash in on when my next statement closes. Last month, it 5 $100 Hyatt Certificates. I'm thinking this month 5 or 6 $100 Carnival Cruise Certificates. Has anyone who's gotten and used them found anything negative about them? Pros and Cons? They sound like cash for cruises to me, but am I missing something?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by spacehawk
Let me add one more. There could be a risk of cascading effect. If chase saw multiple credit lines close by creditor, they may take action based on their risk model
Neither CITI nor Chase did this; I would know .... no other bank or FI reacted either

Last edited by Alcibiades; Jun 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Where can I cast my ballot for MVP?!?

LOL, Hey that is hard for me! Before I was just doing 5K to 10k per month trying to meet minimum spends for mileage bonuses... Having a baby changes my goals...
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Good morning,
I've been reading this thread because it started right around the time I got my Citi Thank You Preferred card. This is actually my first post ever on FT, though I've been reading for a couple years.

My first month with the Thank You Preferred, i went hard and spent 14K throughout the month, about 12K of it on VRs at 5x. I did a test, in which I got a 25$ student loan check to make sure it worked, and then things were getting pretty intense around here. Seemed like getting a mortgage/student loan check could be the trigger. I took the rest out in gift cards to best buy and lowe's and the likes. This month, I've done mostly just regular spending, occasionally buying reloadit cards for inconspicuous amounts like $315. I've been waiting with bated breath for the axe to fall...it hasn't.

Since the program is offering "new and exciting changes" at the end of July and seems like 5x is going away, I was thinking about putting the pedal to the medal between now and July 28th. We just had a baby, and I could really use another few hundo in gift cards to get things we need while my wife isn't working!

No new closures reported recently. Do we have any reason to think this has blown over?

Thanks to all who have shared their stories, signed petitions, researched methods to "fight" city and provided valuable information! I've been playing miles/points for almost 3 years, but when I read threads like this, makes me still feel like a "newbie"

Rev
welcome to FT mate! Dont restrain... go huge! You never know when it will all collapse anyway.

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Trying to figure out what to cash in on when my next statement closes. Last month, it 5 $100 Hyatt Certificates. I'm thinking this month 5 or 6 $100 Carnival Cruise Certificates. Has anyone who's gotten and used them found anything negative about them? Pros and Cons? They sound like cash for cruises to me, but am I missing something?
I have never cruised but I bet there are threads in FT and on Milepoint... and you could google reports on things too. I am going to get a ton of store Gcs and/or friends' flights for my next TYP if I get em

LOL, Hey that is hard for me! Before I was just doing 5K to 10k per month trying to meet minimum spends for mileage bonuses... Having a baby changes my goals...
It does. Now sign the baby up for miles gigs too! start young. AND good luck on them flights when he or she is of kicking age.

PS does the reverend and the preacher share anything in common? lol
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
Chase have already done this. See, for example

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...0-000-urs.html

At least one participant in that is suing in Small Claims Court.
In an update to that thread, after finally managing to serve Chase successfully (originally the wrong person accepted service) Chase phoned the person wanting to settle. His take is that filing is all that makes them pay attention, complaining to agencies doesn't.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Bean
The wife's first TY Preferred statement cuts today. 30 VRs ($15K) with some gas and groceries added to the mix. One mid-cycle payment of $4K.

Should clear ~85,000 TYP or $850 in BB GCs.
Wife's rewards shipped today in two packages...one for the 8 $100 cards and one for the $50 card.

So far, so good.....
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:11 pm

Has anyone had their thank you account frozen lately? I'm just curious.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA, AS, DL
Yeah. I am hoping to hear some update too. Hope the storm is over for me to resume my biweekly trips...
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by PointsforHolidayBoy
Has anyone had their thank you account frozen lately? I'm just curious.
So far, so good!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
So far, so good!
Yes, so far so good.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
My opinion is this (and I could be wrong, but I have a feeling I am not):

Citi got wind of the petition
Citi got contacted by a few people and even some in the media looking to do a story.

Citi changed its tune... giving people back their TYP and also sending new checks to be cashed.

All this above is great. But our work is not yet done!

Citi has NOT un shut peoples' CCs and this is not great.

You need to sue them --- First push hard with the agencies and especially the AGO and then go right to the SMALL CLAIMS COURT! If you just accept something quietly, that may give back some points or hush hush the whole thing, but it wont solve the problem. if you sue and settle or don't sue and just take whatever they give on their terms, then the problem is not really gone and could come back. The time is now to strike and push in hard. This is like any war in history and this is where you as a general have to make a decision. Do you let the enemy retreat or chase them down?

If you sue them, in some states you could get triple damages.
If you sue them, you could learn exactly WHY they shut you (and they don't want to tell you so they don't want to go to court) AND you could try to get it so your cards stay open, get re opened, or can at least be left open for some period of agreed upon time so that YOU can close them on YOUR TERMS not theirs!

You don't want a bad mark on your credit file. You don't want to be limited in what you may or may not apply for in the future. You do want your points/money, but if you were shut, you lost a lot more than what that is worth and so you want that back too! I mean, yeah maybe if you have a problem with a bank you may not want them again anyway, but hey, if they shape up and prove that to you, then maybe you do! So why do you want to NOT find a way to salvage your relationship with them? Suing them and having them have to answer to all this AND be forced to talk about it in court IS probably the only way.

Maybe their witch hunt is over but I am still ready for anything. Remember, they came up and did this once... so they could just do more again--at any time! Therefore, YOU MUST ACT!

We all must.

MM
Old Jun 17, 2013, 5:59 pm

One new thing I notice is that my available credit limit is not increasing despite the payment being posted.

I wonder if this is a new way to limit spending on these 5x point cards.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by digital330
One new thing I notice is that my available credit limit is not increasing despite the payment being posted.

1. When was the payment posted?
2. Don't forget that credit limit includes pending transactions.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by digital330

There is a bit of lag time, but it will go back within hours...Chase has same lag time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.