Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Got card 3/13/13 with $12.5k limit. First statement 3/21 with $3k (All $1007.90 charges), Second statement 4/18 with $23.75k (13 $1007.90 charges, rest all diff). Applied 5 payments across both of the statements (not only so I could do more than limit, but before statement hit to keep score low for wife - authorized user - since she needs highest available for 0.9% on new Lincoln MKZ).

Statement closes 5/21 and I have $9k posted + $4k pending (5 of them $1007.90). Applied one payment recently for full balance.

Total = $39k over about 8 weeks. Stated (and actual) income is multiples of this amount. Account is open and I redeemed for a flight yesterday. I'm slowing it down a bit but not going to stop completely. Maybe $15k/mo to fill 3 bluebirds.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Got card 3/13/13 with $12.5k limit. First statement 3/21 with $3k (All $1007.90 charges), Second statement 4/18 with $23.75k (13 $1007.90 charges, rest all diff). Applied 5 payments across both of the statements (not only so I could do more than limit, but before statement hit to keep score low for wife - authorized user - since she needs highest available for 0.9% on new Lincoln MKZ).

Statement closes 5/21 and I have $9k posted + $4k pending (5 of them $1007.90). Applied one payment recently for full balance.

Total = $39k over about 8 weeks. Stated (and actual) income is multiples of this amount. Account is open and I redeemed for a flight yesterday. I'm slowing it down a bit but not going to stop completely. Maybe $15k/mo to fill 3 bluebirds.
So this is 3+13+5 = 21 buys of 2 VR? Is the remaining 18K "real" spending or mainly other forms of manufactured spend?
Old May 9, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by silver6054
So this is 3+13+5 = 21 buys of 2 VR? Is the remaining 18K "real" spending or mainly other forms of manufactured spend?
Almost all VR's. Was just stating which ones were exactly $1007.90. Been buying other stuff when I go in a lot (the reason CEVESS sells them in the first place). I'm definitely going to start liquidating points as I get them now just in case.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:29 pm

No one else going to post their specifics except OP? Think I might have seen one or two like 6-7 pages back but that's it. Getting details like this is obviously the important part. $160k in 6 weeks from OP is nuts, especially if your income is less than like $400-500k/yr and your limit was under $50kish. I don't think my use is way out of the ordinary. I have certainly charged up $20-30k+ in a month or so on other cards before with no problems.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:50 pm

But that's the problem, maybe your spend is way too much per Citi, and in 4 weeks you get shut down. So I think it's only closed accounts that can give us any info (and even then not much).
Old May 9, 2013, 12:52 pm

I'm sure I gave my details before but here it is again:

Approved 3/11 for 8.5K
First statement spent 2.2K of which contains 2 X 1007.9
2nd statement spent around 13K, 12K worth of VRs with mostly 1007.9 transactions
waiting for 3rd statment to close. 12.2K spend, 7K in VRs, 2.5K in Kroger GCs and remaining from Tom Thumb GCs.

I applied multiple 1K payments all via BB where I have 4 accounts.

Third statement closes on the 20th. I have already exited my current TY balance earlier this week and it shipped. Once 20th closes, I'll exit via mortgage check.

If I'm still alive after 20th, I'll be cutting down to maybe 6K varying between CVS, Krogers and others with different fillers for no duplicate total transaction amounts along with all other smaller regular spend.

My concern will still be Citi reviewing historical statements to justify shutting us down even if we changed or spending habits. I wonder if it will just be a matter of time before they track down everyone. Maybe they are monitoring everyone who applied via the link. I dont know. Either way, I'll be exiting ASAP and will try to keep a lower profile.
Old May 9, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
But that's the problem, maybe your spend is way too much per Citi, and in 4 weeks you get shut down. So I think it's only closed accounts that can give us any info (and even then not much).
True - we need to get specifics of more people shutdown similar to what we are posting about those of us still open.

Sooo... whoever else besides OP got shutdown, please post details. Sorry if I missed earlier. Let's keep this on track and confined to posts close together perhaps???
Old May 9, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
I'm sure I gave my details before but here it is again:

Approved 3/11 for 8.5K
First statement spent 2.2K of which contains 2 X 1007.9
2nd statement spent around 13K, 12K worth of VRs with mostly 1007.9 transactions
waiting for 3rd statment to close. 12.2K spend, 7K in VRs, 2.5K in Kroger GCs and remaining from Tom Thumb GCs.

I applied multiple 1K payments all via BB where I have 4 accounts.

Third statement closes on the 20th. I have already exited my current TY balance earlier this week and it shipped. Once 20th closes, I'll exit via mortgage check.

If I'm still alive after 20th, I'll be cutting down to maybe 6K varying between CVS, Krogers and others with different fillers for no duplicate total transaction amounts along with all other smaller regular spend.

My concern will still be Citi reviewing historical statements to justify shutting us down even if we changed or spending habits. I wonder if it will just be a matter of time before they track down everyone. Maybe they are monitoring everyone who applied via the link. I dont know. Either way, I'll be exiting ASAP and will try to keep a lower profile.
Looks like you are and I are in similar territory. Here's to hoping we survive the next statement ^ .
Old May 9, 2013, 1:05 pm

True - we need to get specifics of more people shutdown similar to what we are posting about those of us still open.

Sooo... whoever else besides OP got shutdown, please post details. Sorry if I missed earlier. Let's keep this on track and confined to posts close together perhaps???
I'm not an admin nor do I know how to do it, but can we copy datapoints to a wiki?
Old May 9, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there only two posters so far in this thread that have had their cards cancelled?

I know that the OP says he's aware of other people who have had their cards cancelled, but I'm surprised if cancellations are as widespread as everyone thinks that only two Flyertalkers have reported it.

This is starting to sound like all the hype about Ink cancellations due to purchases at Office Depot that in the end really only seemed to happen to people that went hog wild (my definition: tens of thousands of dollars a month) and even then, only rarely.

And if I recall from that ordeal, there were even allegations that some people were making up claims of cancellation to "extend the deal."
Old May 9, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I think one important element that we all seem to overlook - buried in the T&Cs about earning reward must be from eligible purchases. It also spells out what are not considered eligible purchase, and Cash Advance is definitely one of those. I guess Cash Equivalent might also be mentioned.
"Might also be mentioned" doesn't cut it. Either the T&Cs specifically state and define "cash equivalent," or it does not.

There is far too much speculation in this thread of the reasons for account closures. Nothing can be implied from Citi's actions. Nothing. In the event that Citi is sued, everything must be spelled out in black and white. They just don't do so when closing accounts because they know that the vast majority of people will not bother pursuing them in court. Plus, spelling everything out provides opportunities for others to look for further loopholes.

If someone wants to know why Citi closed their account, file a lawsuit. Whether or not it is worth someone's time and resources is another issue entirely, because....

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Before counting on suing, I would read the T & Cs. I have not done that for the 5x TYP card, but the areas to check include jurisdiction (where and under which laws an action can be filed), mandatory arbitration, and payment of attorney's fees by the loser. Of course also check the usual broad language about right to change program and also see if there is a stated right to deal with abuse.
Great comment. All are excellent points to consider.

Personally, I find small claims court to be an excellent way to deal with companies who try to bully the consumer. It's inexpensive, not too time consuming, and anyone can do it. The onus is on you to do your research and develop the strongest possible argument though, so don't file a complaint without getting your affairs in order first.

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
The T&Cs don't have to explicitly state what thou shall and shalt not do.
Yes, they do. If Citi wants to have any legal ground to stand on, they do.
Old May 9, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one else going to post their specifics except OP? Think I might have seen one or two like 6-7 pages back but that's it. Getting details like this is obviously the important part. $160k in 6 weeks from OP is nuts, especially if your income is less than like $400-500k/yr and your limit was under $50kish. I don't think my use is way out of the ordinary. I have certainly charged up $20-30k+ in a month or so on other cards before with no problems.
Well, that's the problem with these things. While there are exceptions, the same folks who are maximum "abusers" of these manufactured spending deals are also the same folks who don't like to post much on Flyertalk. Call it "lone wolf syndrome." I first heard about the latest closures through non-board communication. I posted it here because I knew this Community needed to know about it in order to "stay safe."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20682409-post67.html

Until we get some reports of "average" Flyertalkers getting shut down, we won't know how draconian Citi is being. In the meantime, like everybody else who values their Citi "relationship," I'm slowing down my Preferred spending. Heck, I'm even a little scared to buy groceries on the card right now. This week, my local supermarket is offering a modest bonus for buying a $100 gift card ($10 in free food), and I'm kind of afraid to do it.

Well, at least more than twice.
Old May 9, 2013, 2:01 pm

Last edited by LoveMountains; May 19, 2013 at 5:19 pm
Old May 9, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
My entire TY history to date - as data points

>Had Citi Gold with checking and EQ line for 7 years. An AA card as well. I have no debt nor balances on anything at this time. I mostly use Citi for mobile check deposits for self and wife, as she is also on the acct (but also has her own Citi checking and AA and HH visas)

>Saw promo in a branch when at the FTU in DC/VA. get up to 90k when opening a new Citi Gold checking acct (branch was not sure if good for existing customers) and a Citi Premier card. The promo was in a flyer: get 40k for a new checking acct, get 30k if you get the Premier card and spend $3k in X months, and 20k more if you spend another $15k in 12 months (which I wont even bother with!)

>Applied for and received Citi TY Preferred. $6,500 Cr line. Activated 04/29.

>Went to a branch in MA where I live and asked about same heavily advertized promo. Mgr there also not sure if new acct would get the first 40k bonus but either way, I should get the 30k bonus for the premier.

>Applied for Premier and got in mail/activated 05/01.
Got the new checking acct set up, a savings acct, and some more info on TY rewards. I found with activities I can already do, I would earn about 1,500 TY a month just for having my banking accts (DD, BP, Savings auto deposits, debit use, eq line, etc)

>Took out the Citi TY Preferred to do exactly what they said to do: TO use it at select stores for 5x!...

(I took my activity off cuz there's no need for Citi to match it up if they view this stuff!)

Next Statement Closing Date: May 27, 2013
Activity Since Last Statement
Payments/Adjustments/Credits ($15,643.12)
Purchases $17,712.43
Cash Advances $0.00

>I will pay off the card with more BB or as a BP from my bank acct, as I do with other cards. I have never gone over the CR line on this card. It will never carry a balance into the next statement. I plan to put about $25k onto it with VR, MP and GC. I'll probably pay off the bal on it within a few days and do my last $6-8k spend on it in the next week.

>For my Premier, I did $3k spend in much the same way and its already paid off. It has a $5700 CR line.

>I contacted Citi to see about moving lines like Chase can or raising the line on the Preferred. They cant move lines until a year (like Amex) and I got denied on raising the line because it's a new acct. Oh well. My acct is so far in good standing. I don't see why it shouldn't be.

One thing else:

I know people do WM MOs and then deposit them into banks. I have done this for a long time myself. I recommend that we do NOT deposit them into this or any bank through which we also earn promo deals on CCs--especially shaky ones like this. Why? Because banks will invent a reason to shut you down and then cite things like the bank Secrecy Act of 1970 to not even have to tell you why... but we all know why: Because of the massive TY points we earned. But they need a way to NOT have to pay out, so that's what they may do: try to dig and find SOMETHING about your banking that LOOKS (assumptions mind you) suspicious on your part. And MOs, sadly, fit into that category. If you have been depositing MOs into your Citi accts, Stop. Dont pay a CC or a loan with them either. Just avoid doing ANYTHING with Citi if trying to maintain your TY world. That's at least my advice for now... and I have some experience with this in other banks in similar situations.

Last edited by Marathon Man; May 9, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Old May 9, 2013, 2:11 pm

This will be....interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.