FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1465023-citi-cards-closed-typ-confiscated-reasons-not-disclosed.html)

jewsus May 8, 2013 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 20719928)
Lol well first we have to get shut down

My TY account has been locked for a few weeks. AA any day now.

Originally Posted by happy9zz (Post 20719481)
How much did you lose?

$2.5k in rewards gone.

silver6054 May 8, 2013 6:26 pm

The T&Cs of the Thank You program seem to imply that they can insist on binding arbitration at any stage before a judgement is final. MM, have you overcome that before?

mile ho May 8, 2013 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern (Post 20717396)
I think you're trying to nuance their wording... it seems pretty obvious to me that a "reloadable prepaid card" is a variant of a gift card.

Citi is trying to cover their bases (like many banks do) when things appear a bit suspicious. Buying 20k/month of cash equivalents at your local drug store is going to be something that just about every bank wants to back away from.

Also on this note, it really isnt too hard for Citi or any other company to query their databases for people who are excessively charging at a certain merchant type - any modern database would handle that in seconds. My guess is there arent too many folks rolling more than 3-4k/month at these types of places.

Edit: my guess is that its much easier to sever relationships with a few than to advise every merchant that they should consider VR awards cards as a cash equivalent transaction. (cost of closure vs cost of advertisement)

Ummm... no. This is strictly about paying out huge numbers of TYPs. They were losing money hand over fist on this deal. Period.

Mehadi66 May 8, 2013 6:44 pm

What's the maximum people have been buying per month without getting shut down . I just got my card

Marathon Man May 8, 2013 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 20720185)
The T&Cs of the Thank You program seem to imply that they can insist on binding arbitration at any stage before a judgement is final. MM, have you overcome that before?

To a degree yes i have... And id always wish for it first as a rule

But in the end both parties have to agree before a mediator and that may not happen so one should be prepared to go into court.

In any event id start out by detailing your complaint with the AGO-- who is in a way, a mediator/abritrator. If this goes nowhere go to small claims court. You cant go to the AGO after court (usually) so find out the rules in the state you are filing in. Always ask for mediation first but assign a $ value plus court costs and dive in. Each person here should do this on his or her own.

silver6054 May 8, 2013 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mehadi66 (Post 20720281)
What's the maximum people have been buying per month without getting shut down . I just got my card

That's sort of hard to answer, because people are still in the process of being shut down and may not know it yet.

One case was posted here with as little (or as much) as 60K TYP per month, so $12k.

Marathon Man May 8, 2013 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by mile ho (Post 20720267)
Ummm... no. This is strictly about paying out huge numbers of TYPs. They were losing money hand over fist on this deal. Period.

Which is PRECISELY why id sue the bastids

Losing money on a deal YOU botched is NOT a reason to lure in and then oust customers who used your product... Even if/despite the fact they simply knew how to maximize the rewards gains when making purchases on it. This has bait and switch written all over it and if they were to claim we were "gamers" i would stand up and say yes, but i play by the rules and i play to win. I dont call foul and push over the table with chips and cards on it just because i think im losing money.

silver6054 May 8, 2013 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by jewsus (Post 20720103)
My TY account has been locked for a few weeks. AA any day now.

$2.5k in rewards gone.

If you cannot redeem your points now, and Citi is unwilling to release them, I don't think you would need to wait for account closure to take action (although that is a more obvious case). You have suffered a loss now.

Marathon Man May 8, 2013 7:18 pm

At the very least, if citi were to try and say that buying vr and moneypak or gcs were done solely to turn into cash by the purchaser and that they could both prove this and show where it is wrong, then they should be on the hook for the costs someone paid to use their cc to buy all those products.

For example if i put $20k of vr on my cc and they shut me down, then they should give me back $3.95 x 40 vr or $158.

Of course i believe they should give the ty points for the $20k spend but if they did have some way to illustrate what you bought prevented this, you should have never spent those fees on their card. I cant think of what rule theyd cite

swintec May 8, 2013 8:24 pm

boy, not only do you guys strive to kill any deal you get your hands on, you look to the future and try to make sure they rethink any possible, decent promos as well.

Marathon Man May 8, 2013 8:27 pm

Darn right i want them to rethink deals!

If citi rethunk this one, then nobody would be shut down now. Sure we would earn less points on it but them points would actually WORK!

What, you dont want that?

People here are not deal killers but if you seek good advice we may save your points too

amolkold May 8, 2013 8:28 pm

Preach it, Marathon Man!

xp0 May 8, 2013 8:56 pm

I know for a fact that if/when I get shut down that the first person I am going to PM is MM to figure out how to get them bastids!

Marathon Man May 8, 2013 9:02 pm

I should start charging 1000 miles per hour for advice hahaha
No it cant be paid in ty points

I may also change my name to martin luther mile...

I have a gc that one day all vrs will be treated equally

swintec May 8, 2013 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 20720718)
People here are not deal killers....

Then why did this promo last for 2+ years for me personally and other close acquaintances without issue and die in flames within a month or so of being blasted on here and the travel blogs?

by the way, this isnt the first opportunity that has been blown up here either.