Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonv
Prestige was my go to card for airfares and hotels and travel. I was spending $5k per month of non MS.

No Citi branches in TN.

Thanks for your suggestion about using SD State AG. I'll try that if I strike out with CITIGROUP NA and USA.

I'll keep you updated ... I want these .......s.
I still dont understand why would you use WM BP A LOT. That probably is what flagged your account if there is no ms.

Filing small claims in TN costs about $100 including having the police serve the summons.
That is cheap comparing to several other states. If there is no Citi branch in TN, you most likely have to go the State AG to State AG route. It all depends on State Laws governing these things.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:06 am
jk2

Read the article ... Really no relevance to my situation.
My point was that in practice Citi is not easy to deal with if you are thinking to sue them. The guy (mentioned in the link) was thinking it would be a piece of cake to get ~$300 from them, but they were smarter. They had an ability to move the case from small courts to arbitrage where fees were quite high. What really surprised me how far Citi went on this issue. It costed them $150K+ to deal with $300 issue (they have a law firm on this case). Now, you can imagine if you claim $2K from them.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:50 pm

My hope is that Citi is not so stupid. Spending $150K to save $300 is stupid. If they are that stupid with me, they'll beat me ...

I'm only in for the time and cost to pursue in small claims. Any more than that and I'm out.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:16 am
jk2

My hope is that Citi is not so stupid. Spending $150K to save $300 is stupid. If they are that stupid with me, they'll beat me ...

I'm only in for the time and cost to pursue in small claims. Any more than that and I'm out.
Let's us (or via PM) know about your outcome.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 9:43 am
Suspended

Typically, citi allows 60 days to use thank you point after account is closed. You will loose access to thankyou portal from citi account on account closer. But you can call citi thank you customer service 800 842 6596 to redeem your points. I do not know if its true only for closing account voluntarily. Call them to check if you can redeem your points.

Last edited by whoami03200201; Nov 7, 2015 at 5:59 pm
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:41 am
jk2

Does anybody know if in case of closure account by bank, can I get a refund for annual fee (pro-rated) for eligible cards? For example, my wife paid annual fee for her Hilton Reserve card for second year, and after 1 month this account (and others) was closed. Citi declined my request for pro-rated refund stating that annual fee is not refundable (which is not true, at least in case if customer closes Reserve card).
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by mia
Might that alone be the alert? In other words, could Citi be troubled by a history of opening bank accounts that are not used?

There are a variety of circumstances which might cause that to happen, but their algorithm might look at that report in combination with, say, applying for more than X credit cards in a time period, to indicate someone who is opening the bank account primarily for rewards.
I got the letter from EWS.
Suntrust was THE alert.
It said "Transacting (or attempt to transact) with an account in an unathorized or prohibited manner."

The rest of the report just lists several personal checking accounts I have with Chase, and the closed Citi acct.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

No, it's not stupid at all.

Banks, just like other consumer businesses, does a very careful cost-benefit analysis. In this case, it of course cost more to litigate than the value of the case, but the bank is not looking at one case, it is looking at thousands of cases.

Just as word gets around that if you file in SCC, a given business will throw in the towel, people start filing in SCC; if word gets around that a given business will fight you to the end of the earth, people won't bother with the lawsuit.

Unless you have data to suggest that the bank's analysis is wrong, I'll bet that the bank's metrics are better than yours and that the bank discourages more frivolous litigation by fighting a few cases here and there and that it saves a heck of a lot more than the $150K it saved here.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevento
I got the letter from EWS.
Suntrust was THE alert.
It said "Transacting (or attempt to transact) with an account in an unathorized or prohibited manner."

The rest of the report just lists several personal checking accounts I have with Chase, and the closed Citi acct.
But you said you have not even used the SunTrust account? What was the date of the alert reported to EWS?

Sounds like you need to get to the bottom of it, file a dispute with EWS for incorrect reporting from SunTrust - else this is going to affect you each time you try to open a bank account.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by whoami03200201
Can they confiscated only TYP?
Can they withdrew points from partner programs similar to Hilton, AA, etc?
Any comment on Hilton clawbacks after account shutdown? Anyone have any input on MSing $40k for diamond?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:11 pm

Has anyone that was shutdown in the 2013 or so purge been able to get a Citi card again or is the blacklist 7 years to life?

I was shutdown late 2015 and am trying to evaluate my chances of getting Citi cards again.

Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:32 pm

I know someone that was shutdown in 2005 and so far it looks like blacklist is for life. Sorry.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by yoyo
I know someone that was shutdown in 2005 and so far it looks like blacklist is for life. Sorry.
was it a completely shutdown? I was shutdown two weeks ago with one card remaining open, 7 being axed.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by liw5215
I was shutdown two weeks ago with one card remaining open, 7 being axed.
You want to share some details about what you did that resulted in that shutdown? Might save someone a similar fate...
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
You want to share some details about what you did that resulted in that shutdown? Might save someone a similar fate...
I do not know since no MS on Citi cards except for initial min spending, I do churn Citi cards, I had applied 3-4 Citi cards each year for last 3-4 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.