Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage number and how do I know I'll get the Citi bonus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Ok, so I got both the Citi AA visa and amex. I didnt have a AAdvantage number when I signed up for the cards, and I got the Visa last night, but no AA number on it... It says Platinum level and its a Visa Signature... When should I get my AAdvantage number? The application said they would give me a number themselves if I didn't have one... Also nothing I received says anything about the 50k miles bonus? How soon after I meet the $2500 spend do I get the points?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: AA, TrueBlue, Miles and More

Not sure about the adv number, but the miles post to your account within two weeks of the billing cycle.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by killercut
Ok, so I got both the Citi AA visa and amex. I didnt have a AAdvantage number when I signed up for the cards, and I got the Visa last night, but no AA number on it... It says Platinum level and its a Visa Signature... When should I get my AAdvantage number? The application said they would give me a number themselves if I didn't have one... Also nothing I received says anything about the 50k miles bonus? How soon after I meet the $2500 spend do I get the points?
The information your receive with the card will have no mention of the 50K bonus since it is no longer a valid offer without having access to the old links, however in their systems you'll still receive credit for it, as long as you meet the requirement. If you call Citi they can either provide you with your AA number or send you out new cards with the numbers printed on them or both. In my experience If I meet my spend a few days before the end of my billing statement, my bonus miles will be credit a few days after the billing cycle date. Example: Citi billing closed 23rd, mile were in my account on the 25th. However YMMV
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I signed up for this card as well and received it today.

I know I am stupid but forgot to sign up for the AAdvantage program and do not have a number.
Does Citi automatically assign me a number?

Last edited by apodo77; Feb 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by killercut
You should have signed up AAdvantage program first. it takes less than 3 minutes to do that and then you have the number to fill in on your application form.

Now you would have to call either Citi or AA (or both) to find out what your AA number(s) are - assuming you are getting 2 cards at the same time... You will then wound up having 2 AA accounts because Citi would send info to AA to apply one for you on EACH application which says Not a current member...

The bonus would go to the AA account associated with the card.

You then call AA to merge the 2 accounts together and then turn around to inform Citi WHICH AA number should be attached to the Citi card and hope Citi does it right.

A 3 minutes job now turns into multiple phone calls and follow up to make sure the miles go to the right place....

Good thing AA is not very picky in merging accounts. Try this with UA or DL...

Originally Posted by apodo77
I signed up for this card as well and received it today.

I know I am stupid but forgot to sign up for the AAdvantage program and just did so today. How can I get my AA number linked to the CC now (it is the Citi Platinum and had 30000 bonus miles).
apodo77, you can call Citi to give the CSR the new AA number you got and hope it would be correctly attached to the card or you can wait for the new AA account Citi created on your behalf and then merge the two with AA, leaving the one Citi opened on your behalf as the one to keep - to save a phone call to Citi to change it.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
FYI... I should correct above I did not sign up through AA.com for an AAdvantage account because it does not recognize my home address (property is 7 years old so no clue why it is not recognized) and it did not complete.
Same happened when I applied for the card originally and is why there was no AAdvantage number. I was not able to call AA at the time to sort it out and went ahead and applied for the Ciit card as I was using it to get the $100 discount on a flight me and the wife are taking.

Long story short sounds like Citi should have opened an AAdvantage account for me and I should be able to contact them to get the number (it is not on the CC delivered today), correct?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apodo77
FYI... I should correct above I did not sign up through AA.com for an AAdvantage account because it does not recognize my home address (property is 7 years old so no clue why it is not recognized) and it did not complete.
Same happened when I applied for the card originally and is why there was no AAdvantage number. I was not able to call AA at the time to sort it out and went ahead and applied for the Ciit card as I was using it to get the $100 discount on a flight me and the wife are taking.

Long story short sounds like Citi should have opened an AAdvantage account for me and I should be able to contact them to get the number (it is not on the CC delivered today), correct?
Correct. However it takes TIME before a new AA account is opened and then the info gets back to Citi - this is not an instant, real time process and everything gets attached correctly - Citi would send out its requests (may be in batches) to AAdvantage which in turn would process the data and sends back the information - then Citi runs the incoming data file and hopefully everything finds its right home...

The new account information is NEVER coming at the same time the CC arrives. You would need to call Citi to find out or to call AA and give them your personal data and the AAdvantage rep should be able to find accounts associated with such personal data.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Correct. However it takes TIME before a new AA account is opened and then the info gets back to Citi - this is not an instant, real time process and everything gets attached correctly - Citi would send out its requests (may be in batches) to AAdvantage which in turn would process the data and sends back the information - then Citi runs the incoming data file and hopefully everything finds its right home...

The new account information is NEVER coming at the same time the CC arrives. You would need to call Citi to find out or to call AA and give them your personal data and the AAdvantage rep should be able to find accounts associated with such personal data.
Thanks very much. No rush on getting an account as long as I know one is being created. I appreciate the help!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
just wanted to confirm the advice suggested here previously with my own data point:

using a 2BM without entering AAdvantage numbers for 2x personal Citi AA and 1x business citi AA card 95 days later, it's possible to both:
1) have AA merge a newly-created AAdvantage number with the AA account number created when you apply for citi AA cards, and also to
2) have Citi change the number they credit bonus points to

I'd recommend making either of these changes sooner rather than later, though, and ideally before your first statements post and miles start getting kicked out the door (which was when i did this). The timelines may be different once you start accruing miles to a new account, so better to nip it in the bud.

as a non-elite AAdvantage member (another dimension of YMMV) when i signed up for the cards, AA did the account merge for me after a single e-mail but took 9 days to respond to my e-mail.

it may be worth calling AA if you're concerned about timing, but talking to citi customer service might be faster for non-elite AA members for those of you in this situation. Citi was also willing--in my case, at least--to reissue cards with the other AAdvantage number printed on them, although i didn't particularly care about that detail.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by texasguy77
The information your receive with the card will have no mention of the 50K bonus since it is no longer a valid offer without having access to the old links
Since??? These two things are totaly unrelated! I never received any mention of the bonus amount even back when there was a landing page for the offers and they were still valid! I only knew that if I kept a printout of the landing page, but it was never supplied "with the card"!

Citi simply does not send bonus offer confirmations "with the card". It doesn't matter whether the offer is "expired" or brand new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.