Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Request for IRS Form 4506-T: Advice Sought

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Request for IRS Form 4506-T: Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:48 pm
Suspended

It's common for Citi to request additional info. as part of someone's first Citi application.

In your case, if your tax returns don't match the income you put on the app, you're probably asking for trouble by continuing with the process. Might want to lay low for a few months and try again.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you list your income differently on some other credit applications in the last year or two? In at least some cases the income you list on credit applications can get put on your credit report, and Citi perhaps might have noticed that the income you listed on this application did not come close to what your credit report showed you as having listed before, and that could be what led them to the 4506-T request. (Note: I'm not referring to the Amex apps you did the same day; the info from those, other than the pulls perhaps, would not have made it to your credit report yet at the time Citi processed your application.)

Meanwhile, you don't get to choose what to provide for your 4506-T. The 4506-T simply authorizes Citi to request what they (presumably) pre-printed on the form as what they will request directly from the IRS. (The IRS will send them [a slightly redacted copy of] your tax return; Citi won't accept the tax return from you. If the form doesn't have a tax return year pre-printed on it, they'll get whatever year the IRS gives them. It's either Citi's choice or the IRS's choice, not your choice, as to which year they get.

Meanwhile, are you sure you're going to be able to meet the minimum spend on 3 cards all at about the same time anyway? You already have 2 cards from Amex that you have to do the spend on simultaneously, now you want to add a third from Citi???

Finally, do you know for a fact you're receiving a 4506-T in the mail, or do you just know you're receiving something in the mail? I don't know that 4506-T is the only thing that Citi sends in the mail (well, they also send denial letters, for one thing!). They could be asking for something else for all you know (perhaps copies of utility statements to prove your address, for example, in case again the address you furnished does not match the address showing on your credit report because you moved in the past year or so).

(And you didn't explain what type of card you applied for, so in case it was a business card, there may be still other stuff they could be requesting.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 9, 2016 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, & JB. Hyatt, Fairmont, IHG, Hilton & SPG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
(And you didn't explain what type of card you applied for, so in case it was a business card, there may be still other stuff they could be requesting.)
My apologies, just the regular AAdvantage Platinum.

Finally, do you know for a fact you're receiving a 4506-T in the mail, or do you just know you're receiving something in the mail? I don't know that 4506-T is the only thing that Citi sends in the mail (well, they also send denial letters, for one thing!). They could be asking for something else for all you know (perhaps copies of utility statements to prove your address, for example, in case again the address you furnished does not match the address showing on your credit report because you moved in the past year or so).
No I do not, and I apologize for the jumping the gun. It’s been 8 days so far and still nothing, so naturally I’m a little antsy. Either way I was interested to learn about / get ahead of it, so I appreciate your response.

Did you list your income differently on some other credit applications in the last year or two? In at least some cases the income you list on credit applications can get put on your credit report, and Citi perhaps might have noticed that the income you listed on this application did not come close to what your credit report showed you as having listed before, and that could be what led them to the 4506-T request.
Last year I was putting 80k on my apps, which was consistent with what I was in-line to make (quit halfway through the year, had 41k on my W-2). So if I do get the 4506-T, hopefully it’s for that 15k discrepancy.
On a side note (and hopefully not a relevant one), I had ~64k in combined CL’s across issuers at the time of applying. Is there any chance their systems pick up on that, and determine I do not need anymore credit? Can’t imagine Citi having better screening than Amex…

Meanwhile, you don't get to choose what to provide for your 4506-T. The 4506-T simply authorizes Citi to request what they (presumably) pre-printed on the form as what they will request directly from the IRS. (The IRS will send them [a slightly redacted copy of] your tax return; Citi won't accept the tax return from you. If the form doesn't have a tax return year pre-printed on it, they'll get whatever year the IRS gives them. It's either Citi's choice or the IRS's choice, not your choice, as to which year they get.
Ok, understood. In any event, if I’ve yet to submit my 2015 tax filing, would that mean they could only get my 2014, 2013, or even 2012 returns? I don’t think it will be an issue if they get my 2015, just wondering if it’s even possible.

Meanwhile, are you sure you're going to be able to meet the minimum spend on 3 cards all at about the same time anyway? You already have 2 cards from Amex that you have to do the spend on simultaneously, now you want to add a third from Citi???
Sadly can rack up 5k in 3 months on the Amex cards pretty easily (NYC is frickin’ expensive). And I was banking on the Citigold funding for the Citi AA card, but I guess I may need to lean on friends and family to get there. (Or buy some crap to sell on eBay.)

Thank you again for your thorough response. I guess I need to sit and wait, or perhaps call the reconsideration line (only did it once and they told me I needed to provide something by mail).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, & JB. Hyatt, Fairmont, IHG, Hilton & SPG
Ended up being the 4506-T...
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by pingo
Ended up being the 4506-T...
So did you send it in or just drop the whole process?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:33 am

Citi may have implemented a faster, easier income verification process

After churning Citi cards successfully for years, we stopped getting auto-approved for my wife's applications. Consistently, Citi would say further processing was required, and they would mail an IRS form 4506 to request permission to obtain a transcript of our return from the IRS. We had no problems sending the form in, but it added literally four weeks to the application process. It took up to two weeks for Citi to mail us the form, then we had to mail it back, then Citi had to request the transcript from the IRS, then our complete file would be reviewed and approved. It took too long, but we always got approved.

For our latest application, Citi sent an e-mail asking us to mail in W-2s. If that is the new procedure they'll use for verifying income, it's great because it will be much faster and much less cumbersome for both Citi and for applicants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.