Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Request for IRS Form 4506-T: Advice Sought

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Request for IRS Form 4506-T: Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I ordered one for curiosity and was surprised how little detail is disclosed. Your spouse's name and Social Security number are included, but the Adjusted Gross Income is not broken out by earner or source. The exception is if there is Self Employment income, which is listed by earner.

See my post in the Membership Rewards forum here for a list of the data fields.

As more issuers are using these to verify income I think it's worthwhile ordering a copy from the IRS (it's free), before deciding whether or not to release it. I have no problem with it.
Nice info. No worries except perhaps the bold part in some cases may be extra info being given out, but good to know what is involved here.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:16 pm

Does 4506T Requirement = Reached Exposure Limit?

Realllllllllly don't want to have to go through the 4506-T circus, which I ran into on my latest HHonors Visa Sig application.

Now stated income is $50k and Current credit is $30k.

Can I skirt the 4506T by offering to move exposure from existing lines? Or are they pretty myopic about receiving the 4506T before extending anything else?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
Realllllllllly don't want to have to go through the 4506-T circus, which I ran into on my latest HHonors Visa Sig application.

Now stated income is $50k and Current credit is $30k.

Can I skirt the 4506T by offering to move exposure from existing lines? Or are they pretty myopic about receiving the 4506T before extending anything else?
YMMV
at first they wanted this from me, I never sent it in and kept using my existing card, tried again within a few months Approved

you may be onto something though about possibly lowering your current credit limits with citi. It is very possible that you reached the max credit exposure citi is willing to lend you at this time. But, rather than outright denying you, they are willing to look into manually increasing your "shadow limit" but for that, they need to verify your income, to make sure you are not overextending yourself
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it's anything as simple as that. For over a decade, they've been approving me for every card. But in each of the past two years, sometime during the summer, they requested a 4506-T for whatever card I applied for at that time of year (so in 2013 it was some AA card, while 2014 it was an HHonors card).

Meanwhile neither my place of employment nor my income has changed in several years. (My home address, however, did change in spring 2013 -- did that have something do with it?)
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't think it's anything as simple as that. For over a decade, they've been approving me for every card. But in each of the past two years, sometime during the summer, they requested a 4506-T for whatever card I applied for at that time of year (so in 2013 it was some AA card, while 2014 it was an HHonors card).

Meanwhile neither my place of employment nor my income has changed in several years. (My home address, however, did change in spring 2013 -- did that have something do with it?)
I think some of you should follow the advice found in this thread regarding repetitive approvals and voluntarily lowering credit on Citi cards (even if you are not fully comfortable with churning Citi cards. I personally can say , the tips in there, really are effective. (and that's coming from someone who does churn the card regularly, no reason not to in my opinion).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-first-96.html
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
I strongly believe that lowering CL on existing card helps getting instant approval. After trying that, I no longer had to call in and reallocate credit.
FWIW, I manage 3 people's SSN, and applied for around 20 Executive card in the past year.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by johnnie198x
I strongly believe that lowering CL on existing card helps getting instant approval. After trying that, I no longer had to call in and reallocate credit.
+1 a $30K line seems high to me.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
+1 a $30K line seems high to me.
+1 on the last two comments
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:06 pm

Should clarify that it's not 1 $30k line, this is across 8 accounts (2x HHonors, 2x Exec (1 closing soon) 1x AA Amex 2x downgraded AA Bronze 1x Thank You Preferred)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:49 pm

Should clarify that it's not 1 $30k line, this is across 8 accounts (2x HHonors, 2x Exec (1 closing soon) 1x AA Amex 2x downgraded AA Bronze 1x Thank You Preferred)
Still, I think a little consolidation is in order

read the wiki of the citi exec AA thread carefully, I think you'll find some useful information in there
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Normally industry standard is your total revolving credit should not exceed your annual income. If your credit history is good you may be able to push for 2x annual income.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Too many accounts then.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by neutralist
Normally industry standard is your total revolving credit should not exceed your annual income. If your credit history is good you may be able to push for 2x annual income.
Per bank or overall? I just hit my overall CC limit = Annual income but it is distributed on 5 different creditors
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Per bank or overall? I just hit my overall CC limit = Annual income but it is distributed on 5 different creditors
In theory should be overall, but doesn't necessarily seem to be the case? I'm a grad student living on a grad student stipend, combined CL of ~3x my annual income. About half of my cards (16 in total across the major banks) have been acquired since I started the program and reported my stipend income on CC apps -- the other half were opened while I was working and (unsurprisingly) have somewhat higher CLs. Highest combined CL with any one bank is about 80% of my income, though.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:57 am

Well shoot. Just thought about lines from other creditors (!). Could be at 2x income already across Citi, Chase, Amex, B of A, GECRB, Comenity, and Macys.

Time to close some Citi cards down...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.