Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unable to buy Amex GCs with AAdvantage credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

I tried to purchase $2k Amex GCs to meet spending limits, but an error comes on everytime i try to buy it. any ideas how to get around this problem? I'm a newbie so I'd appreciate any advice!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:25 pm

If you are really talking about AAdvantage GCs those can only be used for flights.

If you meant to say Citi AAdvantage credit cards, those will be processed as cash advances if you are trying to buy AMEX giftcards from AMEX. So you are lucky they did not go through.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ddallas
If you are really talking about AAdvantage GCs those can only be used for flights.

If you meant to say Citi AAdvantage credit cards, those will be processed as cash advances if you are trying to buy AMEX giftcards from AMEX. So you are lucky they did not go through.
Hey thanks for your reply and I did mean Citi AAdvantage visa credit cards. Shouldn't it work with a Visa one buying amex gcs?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beefsalami
Hey thanks for your reply and I did mean Citi AAdvantage visa credit cards. Shouldn't it work with a Visa one buying amex gcs?
Because Citi processes AMEX Gift Card purchases online as cash advances. You will not get miles.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:37 am

So you were purchasing directly from Amex (on its website)? Try purchase at your local grocery store (along with your groceries of course), other local stores or other online retail establishments and mix gift cards with other merchandise, and do it slowly as appropriate.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:32 am

What about Barclays cards are they charged as CA too?? Googled but only info for Citi AA cards came up and I'm glad I did because I was about to purchase this week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.