Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

25k AA Miles for getting companion citi AA Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Grounded

I just noticed a link to a 25k bonus for getting the citi AA amex in my online account today. Go to "Tools and Services > Get Special Offers." Anyone else seeing this?

*25k AA miles after $750 purchases in 4 months
*One-time $50 statement credit
*20% more miles for the first 18mos. of membership
*No annual fee if the original citi AA card is left open, same 100k mileage cap.

I think the previous best offer was 5k? I'm very tempted to sign up, unless someone knows of better
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by MrPink
I just noticed a link to a 25k bonus for getting the citi AA amex in my online account today. Go to "Tools and Services > Get Special Offers." Anyone else seeing this?

*No annual fee if the original citi AA card is left open, same 100k mileage cap.

I think the previous best offer was 5k? I'm very tempted to sign up, unless someone knows of better
I've received two separate mailings (snail mail) from Citi to add this to my Visa with same terms as you list above.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Can’t address how lucrative the offer is but I received the same offer about 2 years ago. I thought since I was “targeted” it would be an easy approval. I was wrong. They still declined me for “too many recent applications”.

The AmEx solicitation was included with my first MC statement. I applied immediately and was declined, told to wait until 30 days from first approval. Applied 2 weeks later, declined again. Applied 2 weeks after that, about 60 days from initial approval, approved.

My point is that this may not be an “automatic” approval.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, US, RR, HH, SPG, PC
I got a similar iteration of this offer several times this year via snail mail. I finally applied back in September. Got instantly approved but had issues with the annual fee. They applied it after the first statement and put me through the ringer with proving that the offer said no annual fee.

In the end they credited the fee but it was a one time deal. They said the accounts hadnt been linked so the milage cap want shared. I contended that wasn't even an option in the offer/activation to unlink.

Just something to be aware of.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Grounded
Hm, sounds like there's and actual hard pull involved. That makes it a bit less tempting.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UAmileage+,SkyMiles,Avios
I don't get it, I received the same offer in my "special offer", but is it a good deal? I Know 75K may not return, but 50K still around, if i have to apply for either card and both application will require a hard pull, why don't I apply for the 50K instead of this 25K?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by all168
I don't get it, I received the same offer in my "special offer", but is it a good deal? I Know 75K may not return, but 50K still around, if i have to apply for either card and both application will require a hard pull, why don't I apply for the 50K instead of this 25K?
I think the op is referring to the linked Amex card that a lot of citi aa visa card holders got. It's one account but has a visa and a separate Amex card.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by all168
You're correct, you would want to apply for the 50K offers instead of this. This offer, however, makes some sense if you only applied for and received one of the 50K or 75K offers, instead of applying for both at the same time, since there's a loosely enforced 18-month hiatus between applications for separate personal cards (that the "two browser trick" apparently avoided) while the materials with this card acknowledge that you already have a personal card and assure you that Citi will not deny your application on "first-time cardholder" grounds (although Citi might on other grounds).
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
You're correct, you would want to apply for the 50K offers instead of this. This offer, however, makes some sense if you only applied for and received one of the 50K or 75K offers, instead of applying for both at the same time, since there's a loosely enforced 18-month hiatus between applications for separate personal cards (that the "two browser trick" apparently avoided) while the materials with this card acknowledge that you already have a personal card and assure you that Citi will not deny your application on "first-time cardholder" grounds (although Citi might on other grounds).
This is my exact situation. I stupidly only applied for the Citi AA Visa and not the Amex card. I'd really like to try to get the Amex and the 25k of miles, but this doesn't appear to be showing up for me. I clicked on "View Special Offers" under the Tools & Services tab, but there is nothing about the Amex card. is this targeted?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by MrPink

"Tools and Services" ...is that in your aa.com account? If so, where...from what page? I don't see it in mine.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Originally Posted by koam
"Tools and Services" ...is that in your aa.com account? If so, where...from what page? I don't see it in mine.
Your Citi account. Tab at top on your Account Home page.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Here is the page I get when I log into my account:
http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...57209E1E3FE4A0

Edit: Don't try to apply thru my link. Log onto your own account and see what offer you have.

Last edited by onthego15; Nov 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm Reason: missed some info
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, AA peon
I got 20k last year for an unsolicited Amex signup that did involve another credit pull. Did not come with the other perks aside from waived annual fee, so this is a better offer all around. I think the signup page I used may have been one of these links from somebody's citi account (not mine) and it still worked, so it might be worth a shot.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
This seems like it is worth some more research. The big question is if you can get this card after already having a fairly recent Citi AA Amex. If yes, that it is a question of is a hard pull worth 25k AA + 1 AA upgrade sticker + $20 (assume I would just buy a $30 sticker to get the $50). I would lean towards no, but I think it is close enough that everyone can decide on their own. If you can't get this after having a recent Citi AA Amex, then in the case that someone just got a Citi AA Visa without getting the amex within a few minutes, why not wait a few months and get it with 50k?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by dbh1
... in the case that someone just got a Citi AA Visa without getting the amex within a few minutes, why not wait a few months and get it with 50k?
Because a few months might be 18 months if they just got the Visa. I haven't gone for it myself, but some might not want to wait that long if they need 25K miles and could get this offer now.

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
This.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.