Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gregillinois
As usual I am missing something but the last 30 pages reviewed do not clarify the 18 month rule versus getting several new cards in 2013. Confused (again).
You can still only get one card a day, two per 65 days, and churn every 18 months. The beauty is Citi has many cards.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:32 pm

applied through link #1 for the personal visa with $150 statement credit and 50,000 miles after $3000 spent in 4 month on March 23rd, was not instantly approved, called, was told system error, today I received an email stating that my application was approved.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Just read again there is an 18 month rule from your last approval but now people can get 2-3 cards within 70 days? As usual I am missing something but the last 30 pages reviewed do not clarify the 18 month rule versus getting several new cards in 2013. Confused (again).
You can still only get one card a day, two per 65 days, and churn every 18 months.
The "one card per day" and the "two per 65 days" are fairly hard rules (and apply to all Citi cards). But the 18 months is just average (and also only applies to personal AA cards, not to all Citi cards). It ranges all the way from a very few people being successful at 12 months, to some people who weren't successful at 24 months but were at 26 months.

That's why I recommend phrasing it something like this: Churn personal AA cards every (12 to) 18 (to 26) months.

(Plus there are some personal AA cards occasionally that are not subject to this wait. Thought they are far and few between, and tend to offer smaller bonuses than the personal AA cards that are subject to this wait.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 11, 2013 at 2:46 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Back in January, I applied for the AMEX 50k and the Mastercard platinum with a 40k bonus. Since then there has been a targeted offer on the online access page of only the platinum Mastercard for an AA AMEX with a 25k bonus after 750 spend, 1.2 miles per dollar for the first 18 months, and the annual fee of $95 is waived as long as it is linked to the Platinum MC. So today I went to apply using the link from my MC account, but some of the info fields are missing and it wouldn't let me apply. If anyone else has this card/offer, does the application page load properly? I gave up and went with the gold MC for 30k and got approved, but I would still like to know.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:45 pm

This epic thread has been very helpful with my last approval June of last year for a personal card though I did suffer a later biz card denial as "not a first time applicant". Just read again there is an 18 month rule from your last approval but now people can get 2-3 cards within 70 days? As usual I am missing something but the last 30 pages reviewed do not clarify the 18 month rule versus getting several new cards in 2013. Confused (again).
Originally Posted by PainCorp
You can still only get one card a day, two per 65 days, and churn every 18 months. The beauty is Citi has many cards.
Things with Citi have been changing rapidly the past couple of months. In general with Citi, it seems that you are limited to one app per day now, and (still) two per 60-65 days. For Citi AA cards, the general rule for personal cards is that people are able to churn every 12-26 months (but generally around 18 months), and no more 2-browser trick; the AA 30k Gold Mastercard seems to be an exception (just a few days ago I successfully applied for one only exactly one week after applying for the 50k Platinum Visa).

For AA biz cards, things seem to be in flux on how churnable they are.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The "one card per day" and the "two per 65 days" are fairly hard rules (and apply to all Citi cards).
It's not so clear to me that this is exactly accurate, though most people lately have been writing that only one application per day is allowed, total. Several people over the last 2 weeks/20 pages have reported applying for one business and one personal in the same day. See, for example, posts 5737, 5801, 5858, and 5949/5983. Not all of these people were approved for both, but none of them were denied with the stated reason of two applications in one day. People who applied for two personal cards in one day, in contrast, were explicitly told they were denied because of two applications in one day; see post 6010, for example, who said that “The reconsideration folk said that since I made two personal applications on same day one gets automatically denied.”

The only potential exception seems to be post 5909, who had a whole complicated experience.

So: has anyone been denied for two applications in the same day after applying for ONE PERSONAL AND ONE BUSINESS? Has anyone else been approved? Some clarity on this would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Kennybsat-- re: The Amex for no AF while linked to an existing account.

I was targeted for the same offer but mine expired. Did you check the expiration date?

CH1987-- Lucky you to get in on the death throes of Link 1 with the $150 credit and the 2 a/c passes. I applied the same day and never heard back, so I applied under link 2 earlier this week and got instant approval. Not likely my first app will show up in plastic.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Kennybsat-- re: The Amex for no AF while linked to an existing account.

I was targeted for the same offer but mine expired. Did you check the expiration date?
Unbelievable. I scoured the landing page looking for an expiration date, there isn't one.
This morning, on three browsers and two computers, the application page would load EXCEPT the boxes for the name. Now (same computer and browser, no cookies or anything cleared) it all loads fine. Hope it's back in a month or 2; it seems to show up every couple of weeks.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by esw30
It's not so clear to me that this is exactly accurate, though most people lately have been writing that only one application per day is allowed, total. Several people over the last 2 weeks/20 pages have reported applying for one business and one personal in the same day. See, for example, posts 5737, 5801, 5858, and 5949/5983. Not all of these people were approved for both, but none of them were denied with the stated reason of two applications in one day. People who applied for two personal cards in one day, in contrast, were explicitly told they were denied because of two applications in one day; see post 6010, for example, who said that “The reconsideration folk said that since I made two personal applications on same day one gets automatically denied.”

The only potential exception seems to be post 5909, who had a whole complicated experience.

So: has anyone been denied for two applications in the same day after applying for ONE PERSONAL AND ONE BUSINESS? Has anyone else been approved? Some clarity on this would be helpful.

Thanks!
We're talking about Personal cards. Citi, as it has been stated, is a little more random with Business cards.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Yes. Large size mailer. I usually throw these away but luckily my dad opened it

Originally Posted by wastedwords
Was this a mail offer?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by ch1987
applied through link #1 for the personal visa with $150 statement credit and 50,000 miles after $3000 spent in 4 month on March 23rd, was not instantly approved, called, was told system error, today I received an email stating that my application was approved.
Similar experience. Applied to link#1 Visa 3/22, got pending message. Called recon/credit several times and got weird responses like "we don't even see what card this application is for...you'll have to wait a few more days". After a week of run around, I noticed citi had not pulled my credit report yet and reading this thread assumed the link was being pulled by citi, so I applied for the visa in link #2. After a call to recon, was approved, and received the card in the mail a week ago. Today, got an email saying I was approved for that first app - the approval email refers to a different card number than the card I got in the second app. Might be getting two 50k cards! I can only hope.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

A round of applause for esw

Originally Posted by esw30

Bravo to you esw for actually READING the thread and contributing such a wonderful reference post after only 11 FT posts (as of this writing). Many people just complain about how long it is.

Awesome!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Question Credit Inquires

Applied back in March for Citi AA Amex Personal and Citi AA Business Visa on the same day and was approved instantly for both. While checking my Experian credit report recently I noticed 2 inquires made on that day: one from Citibank and the other from CBSD/PRE02 UFC. Simple google search revealed that the second one is technically CitiBank (CitiBank account that was assumed from Universal Financial Corp).

I thought that same day inquires from the same company should only be counted once. Do I stand a chance disputing this with credit bureau as duplicate inquires and getting one of them removed?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Kpoxa
Applied back in March for Citi AA Amex Personal and Citi AA Business Visa on the same day and was approved instantly for both. While checking my Experian credit report recently I noticed 2 inquires made on that day: one from Citibank and the other from CBSD/PRE02 UFC. Simple google search revealed that the second one is technically CitiBank (CitiBank account that was assumed from Universal Financial Corp).

I thought that same day inquires from the same company should only be counted once. Do I stand a chance disputing this with credit bureau as duplicate inquires and getting one of them removed?
Not necessarily. The credit bureau would combine only if the two inquiries are from the same place, usually with the same name. But, since personal and business are from different division/dept/place with the different name or address, then they would not be combined.

You probably won't be able to dispute. Remember, you can only dispute if duplicate. Since they are not duplicate, it will be a tough fight. But you can try and report back. I am sure everyone would love to hear from you. :-)

Last edited by echip; Apr 12, 2013 at 12:57 am
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Kpoxa

Your chance is not too good. You did make two applications. The merging actually is a mistake credit agencies make when they thought they are duplicates when two inquiries are coming from the same entity within certain amount time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.