Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by explorer84
Wife has the citi AA amex (denied visa vis a vis dead 2BM)

Currently in DEN, flying frontier Friday, can we use AA amex to get into admiral lounge w/o aa tix? Also if they charge us for daily entry will that trigger the $150 statement?

Also hold Amex Plat but no same day tix for other lounges
Confused - why would AA personal amex get you into the AC. They have nothing to do w each other. Interesting though if you bought a one-day pass if you'd get the credit. Try it out and report back!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by explorer84
Wife has the citi AA amex (denied visa vis a vis dead 2BM)

Currently in DEN, flying frontier Friday, can we use AA amex to get into admiral lounge w/o aa tix? Also if they charge us for daily entry will that trigger the $150 statement?
The Citi AAdvantage AMEX won't get you into any lounge that I know of. The only Citi AAdvantage card that gets you Admiral club access is the Executive AAdvantage Mastercard with the $450 annual fee. I'm not sure if paying to get in would trigger the $150 credit but I think it might, don't know for sure though.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PainCorp
In general, it's a good deal, I'm just getting to the point that I need to slow down on spending and concentrate on saving money for a bit. I can meet these spends that I've signed up for, but I want to take some time after these next four cards come in and save at least a couple thousand dollars for a rainy day since my income dropped so much lately.

Having to travel for the wedding made meeting spending on my UA and CSP really easy, and once I have these final cards (VX, Citi Hilton, Citi AA, BoH Hawaiian and Amex Hilton) done, I'm going to take a break, and really start planning out my trip and find out where I need to have the rest of my miles/points be. Granted if there's an amazing deal that pops up, I'm not going to ignore it, I'll just buy gas and other gift cards to bump up my spending.
If you live in an area where the Vanilla Reloadable is available to purchase with CC, then it is a low cost to meet spend. $3K spend costs $7.90 x 3 and you are done with that instead of relying solely on natural spend to fulfill the mission.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Happy
If you live in an area where the Vanilla Reloadable is available to purchase with CC, then it is a low cost to meet spend. $3K spend costs $7.90 x 3 and you are done with that instead of relying solely on natural spend to fulfill the mission.

And any Flyertalker worth his salt will tell you that the opportunity cost of spending 3.95 on a gift card to meet a 500 spend that nets you a return of $150 will equal an opportunity to make a free $146.05 courtesy of Citibank.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
I haven't been able to find them in my area, but I still have a few places left to check.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:59 pm

This is very confusing, since they updated their system recently, is there any way to get 50k + 50k points for signing up with 2 cards?

The posts I've read so far, seems to suggest that 50k+50k for 2 personal card applications is dead, but will 1 personal + 1 business pull through with bonuses for both cards???
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
This is very confusing, since they updated their system recently, is there any way to get 50k + 50k points for signing up with 2 cards?

The posts I've read so far, seems to suggest that 50k+50k for 2 personal card applications is dead, but will 1 personal + 1 business pull through with bonuses for both cards???
ditto this question
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM
Just wanted to confirm that I just applied for and received the citibusiness aa card, with the link in post #1. Rep confirmed 50k miles + all other offer benefits. Thanks all!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Arsey00
I applied in October, 2 cards, 50k bonus each after $3000 spend. Got both cards and made the spend in time on each.
I only got the bonus for the first card on which I completed the spend (29 December), not the second card to reach the spend (20 January)

So I'm guessing the changes have less to do with when you got the cards, but that after a certain date in early January, there are no more second bonuses.

I'd love to be proven wrong...
I applied for both the personal Amex and personal Visa cards in November and was approved for both. I completed the minimum spend for the Visa card firs and recieved my 50k bonus in January. I completed the minimum spend for the Amex card in January but the statement processed yesterday and sure enough I did not recieve a bonus. I have to conclude that you are correct. I plan on calling or using the messaging system to inquire about why I didn't recieve the bonus, but my guess is is that Citi upgraded their systems and closed the loophole for those who had used the two browser trick to earn AAdvantage miles.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6

We are all pioneers in a new world now. Looking back through the last week's posts I see one person reporting that they were approved for both a personal and a business. If you've read the posts since 2/1 then you know as much as anyone here.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Any timeline on receipt of the 2 AC passes assoc with the Biz card in link #1? I'd love to have them before my 3 hour layover in LAX next week. CSR told me 5-7 days and we're right about there.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Just following up on my own post for a data point. I tried today and did not get approved -- I got stuck on step 3 and I'm sure the letter will be coming soon. Since I have no other citi applications in the last 60 days and it's been over 2 years since I had the citi AA card, I can only assume I got hung up because of the Executive World Elite Card. YMMV.
Well, following up on an old post to add a data point on an issue not often reported -- the effect of the Executive World Elite Card. The bottom line is that Citi finally let me come out of the cold. Figures it would be after the 2 browser trick and my timing has sucked throughout -- I never was able to get on the 100k or 75k bonuses like everyone else, but at least I finally have the card, which I have coveted for a while due to the 10k per year kickback on award reservations. The 50k doesn't hurt either. Anyway, here are my data points.

Late 2009 or early 2010 -- Approved for 2x30k cards (personal and business). Cancelled both cards around the time of the annual fee.

Mid-2011 -- Attempted to churn the cards when the 75k and 100k offers came around, and was denied because of not being a first time card holder. Tried again 90 days later and was shut down again.

September 2011 -- Applied for and received the Executive World Elite Card, with a 25k bonus. (Got the card to have spend count toward million mile status.)

June 2012 -- Applied for 2x personal AA cards, using the two browser trick. No dice, not first time cardholder.

February 2013 -- Approved for 50k citi plat select.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by dguruswamy
I applied for both the personal Amex and personal Visa cards in November and was approved for both. I completed the minimum spend for the Visa card firs and recieved my 50k bonus in January. I completed the minimum spend for the Amex card in January but the statement processed yesterday and sure enough I did not recieve a bonus. I have to conclude that you are correct. I plan on calling or using the messaging system to inquire about why I didn't recieve the bonus, but my guess is is that Citi upgraded their systems and closed the loophole for those who had used the two browser trick to earn AAdvantage miles.
Please update us on what you discover. Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Any timeline on receipt of the 2 AC passes assoc with the Biz card in link #1? I'd love to have them before my 3 hour layover in LAX next week. CSR told me 5-7 days and we're right about there.
I believe they don't come until account renewal for the AA Citi cards.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by gilbert02
Just wanted to confirm that I just applied for and received the citibusiness aa card, with the link in post #1. Rep confirmed 50k miles + all other offer benefits. Thanks all!
A few posts back says that even rep confirmation is not good. When you reach the min spend and the miles post, only one of the 50k miles will post. That has been the experience of those who did say that the rep confirmed 50k x 2 miles....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.