Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Prepaying money to Citi AA Cards - CSR says no

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaying money to Citi AA Cards - CSR says no

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
Just got a Citi AA Biz card. They only gave me a $1K credit limit, and I need a $4K spend to get the 75K mile bonus. I need to buy something for ~$2K. I just called and was told by the CSR that I won't be able to buy anything for more than $1K even if I prepay extra money to the card (i.e., by wiring money to the account). I know CSRs are often clueless, but are they correct here? Also, is there any way to get around this?
Yes it will work. I have Citi AA Amex and Visa Biz cards and did what you just now said fine. I used my banks "online bill pay" and they sent $$ to Citi.

Also I can't believe they gave you Biz card with $1k limit. That is super low. What kind of business person can run with CC that has 1k limit? lol gummy ball vending machine business?

I also thought there was min CL amount that is required for Biz card. E.g VISA Signature usually requires to have $5k+ limit so if bank cannot give you this CL or higher they will deny you for a card.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
You can also call up their credit department, and they can authorize a pull from your bank account (a virtual check actually). I had to make a large purchase last year on a no-preset limit card, so I called to inquire if that would be approved. They said no on that, but gave me the option of prepaying the excess.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:48 pm

Just pay the damn thing to 0 and charge the 1k. They are not going to deny a charge a few dollars over the limit. I was allowed to go up $50 over on a 3k line until they denied charges. The rep even confirmed my car insurance would go through even though enough was not available.

If your not comfortable with that, then go to Walmart, buy something, wait till the charge posts and then pay the balance off, and then return the item with receipt back to walmart. There is your (-) balance. KISS>
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by acf573
You can also call up their credit department, and they can authorize a pull from your bank account (a virtual check actually). I had to make a large purchase last year on a no-preset limit card, so I called to inquire if that would be approved. They said no on that, but gave me the option of prepaying the excess.
Exactly. Some Citi AA cards do explicitly allow pre-payments. I needed to make a substantial purchase and I called Citi to have them test whether the amount would be accepted by my no-preset MC. Turns out it would not...so I wired the funds from my checking account and used the credit to make the purchase. It all depends on the card.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by jeelele
Go ahead and prepay the amount by pushing it through your bank's online BillPay. This will increase your available credit by the corresponding amount and you will be able to charge more than your credit limit. ^
Does this still work? Thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:46 pm

u can also buy VR $500 x2, and load to bluebird. Pay the amount to citi. A few days later, load another 1k to bluebird.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by webazoid
u can also buy VR $500 x2, and load to bluebird. Pay the amount to citi. A few days later, load another 1k to bluebird.
Except $1K in VRs cost $1007.90

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.