Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Prepaying money to Citi AA Cards - CSR says no

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM

Just got a Citi AA Biz card. They only gave me a $1K credit limit, and I need a $4K spend to get the 75K mile bonus. I need to buy something for ~$2K. I just called and was told by the CSR that I won't be able to buy anything for more than $1K even if I prepay extra money to the card (i.e., by wiring money to the account). I know CSRs are often clueless, but are they correct here? Also, is there any way to get around this?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
Just got a Citi AA Biz card. They only gave me a $1K credit limit, and I need a $4K spend to get the 75K mile bonus. I need to buy something for ~$2K. I just called and was told by the CSR that I won't be able to buy anything for more than $1K even if I prepay extra money to the card (i.e., by wiring money to the account). I know CSRs are often clueless, but are they correct here? Also, is there any way to get around this?
Mail in a check or send funds to the account. You probably won't be able to request a payment amount over $1k through the Citi site, but if you get the funds in there then you'll be able to use them.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnep1
Mail in a check or send funds to the account. You probably won't be able to request a payment amount over $1k through the Citi site, but if you get the funds in there then you'll be able to use them.
Are you sure this works specifically for Citi? The CSR explicitly said it wouldn't, i.e., that even if you have a credit balance on your account, the system only looks to the $1K credit limit when you try to make a purchase.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Test it - order $1k in coins, send them a check for $1001
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Test it - order $1k in coins, send them a check for $1001
That doesn't test the OP's situation. The OP wants to be able to spend more than their credit limit on a single transaction. That's completely separate from managing to get a credit balance posted to the account.

I believe what the OP was told is correct, at least as far as Citibank goes. The rationale behind this is that they tend to give immediate credit to payments. Since they've decided up-front that you're worth risking only a loan of up to $1000, they don't want to increase their exposure by allowing you to send in a payment of $1000 on a $0 balance, then charging $2000 as soon as the payment posts, only to have the payment come back for whatever reason and then be on the hook for $2000. Although there may be other ways around this for them, would it really be worth it?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve M
That doesn't test the OP's situation. The OP wants to be able to spend more than their credit limit on a single transaction.
It does if he tries to spend $1001 after it posts.

And I don't think it would matter if it were a single or multiple transactions. They're going to look at the total, not the breakdown
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA,DL,SPG,Hyatt
Gee, I just applied and now I am not sure if I have to spend $1500 or $4000 to get the 75k miles. Do I have to call to find out? Any easy way?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
That doesn't test the OP's situation. The OP wants to be able to spend more than their credit limit on a single transaction. That's completely separate from managing to get a credit balance posted to the account.

I believe what the OP was told is correct, at least as far as Citibank goes. The rationale behind this is that they tend to give immediate credit to payments. Since they've decided up-front that you're worth risking only a loan of up to $1000, they don't want to increase their exposure by allowing you to send in a payment of $1000 on a $0 balance, then charging $2000 as soon as the payment posts, only to have the payment come back for whatever reason and then be on the hook for $2000. Although there may be other ways around this for them, would it really be worth it?
I would think that payments being recalled are a very rare situation. Short of a forged/stolen check or its electronic equivalent (breaking into an account to have unauthorized Bill Pay transactions), how/why would these payments be recalled?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz
Gee, I just applied and now I am not sure if I have to spend $1500 or $4000 to get the 75k miles. Do I have to call to find out? Any easy way?
I didn't remember either; they were able to tell me in about 10 seconds.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
You don't have to wait for the statement to arrive to start paying off your card. Why not just do the following?

1. Spend $1000
2. Pay it off next day through your bank's online bill pay
3. Repeat as necessary
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kebosabi
You don't have to wait for the statement to arrive to start paying off your card. Why not just do the following?

1. Spend $1000
2. Pay it off next day through your bank's online bill pay
3. Repeat as necessary
The whole point is to make a single purchase of over $1000.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Prepaid the $1k.
Your credit limit should stay at $1k but you'll have a credit balance of $1k.
Have merchant make two charges of $1000 each.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
The whole point is to make a single purchase of over $1000.
Unless things have changed, I never have seen a CC offer where one needs to have one transaction at a certain amount, just a cumulative total of that amount.

Simply put: 1 transaction of $4000 is the same as 4 transactions of $1000, still the same $4000 total.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:38 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
pay $1k or more, check that you have a credit balance.....

go to merchant, work out a deal to pay $1k & wait til the 1st 1 clears, then do the 2nd...

if the merchant has gift cards, get 1k worth pay off & buy w gift & cc....

good luck...

btw, i sent a check for $4500 to cover a 2.5 month period of auto charges & some sppend by us....we were on a cruise....

all went well until we got home, now had a debit bal do to medical cost on ship.....then we received a check from the cc co for the credit bal from the previous state ment...when called, they said the new law requires them to remit a credit balance the after the 3rd statement in a row shoeing a credit bal....
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Citi CSR has no clue! I have done this several times in the past, as recent as last month.

Go ahead and prepay the amount by pushing it through your bank's online BillPay. This will increase your available credit by the corresponding amount and you will be able to charge more than your credit limit. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.