Buying Choice Points

Old Mar 27, 09, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Buying Choice Points

Look I've never been a fan of buying points and miles and think it is almost always a bad deal. But I have a trip coming up and there is a decent Choice property where I am going, one that I was planning to stay at anyway. The nightly rate, with tax, ranges from $140-$160 for the days I want to be there, and the redemption rate is 8,000 points (not taxable). I had some orphaned points in two different family members' accounts, so was able to buy up to the 8,000 points needed to get rooms for much cheaper than paying cash. And even without the orphaned points, there is no "service fee" like the airlines charge when you buy miles, so 8,000 points would be available for a net cost of $80-- in this case making a room available for about half the price. Up to 10,000 points can be bought per year per account, and the purchase goes through instantly. So you may find some bargains for $100 worth of points for rooms that are worth a lot more-- especially if you are going to Europe. You may find you can get about double the value of the points you buy if you stumble across properties with good redemption rates relative to room rates and if you buy only exactly the points you need and if you know there is award availability. The points to dollar value is generally not as good in other budget hotel programs. This is another reason why, when I'm looking to go on the cheap, I like Choice's program.

Search this Thread