Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice Hotels Property Review Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Hotels Property Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Newark Airport Econo Lodge

I originally had the Fairfield booked, but got pissed when I found out I had to pay for parking on a weekend stay. Got on my high horse and booked Econo Lodge for 8000 points which I value at $30. Only needed to crash for 4 hours on a late flight before hitting the road to work.

I pulled into the scariest hotel I have ever seen. Prostitutes, drug dealers, and pimps were everywhere. I decided not only would I not sleep here, but was afraid to even leave my car there for the free parking.

I then drove to economy parking which was 18/day. Thought the 10/day at fairfield sounds pretty good now (I ould earn points for it) but it was to late and I was checking 3 bags and afraid I would miss my flight.

So I ended up paying 46 dollars for parking vs leaving my car at the econo lodge for 30 worth of points.
This place is terrible! I have stayed at a few econo lodges, one in particular I really like, but this place is the absolute worst hotel I have ever booked. Like I said I never ended up staying there.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Quality Inn Jamaica/Airtrain, NY: B

The hotel is located two blocks from the JFK Airtrain/LIRR/Sutphin Blvd. Subway stop which made it ideal to catch an early flight out of JFK. The neighborhood it's in is somewhat rundown and industrial (there's a seedy looking topless bar two blocks down) but I didn't feel unsafe.

The hotel itself was nicer than I was expecting, it's obviously gone through a renovation recently. The lobby was inviting and big, coffee was out even in the evening, the check in staff were friendly and helpful and the corridors were well lit. My room was on the small side but had a nice flat screen TV and a decent sized bathroom. I did leave too early for breakfast to judge it.

One complaint, when I went to check out at 5 AM, the clerk on duty was asleep in one of the lobby couches and I had to wake him up. Still, overall a good value for the $89 I paid and I'd stay again in similar circumstances.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Quality Inn - Meadville, PA Solid B

I've driven past this one countless times over the past decade, but because it was a Quality, and it's proximity to Erie/Pittsburgh area means I always drove the extra time to stay someplace else. Stayed there last night, though, to take advantage of the current promo.

Hotel appears to be recently renovated, very clean. The rooms are a bit on the small side with a not ideal work area, but not bad. Internet connection was pretty good, bed was comfortable. Shower was average at best. Didn't eat breakfast (I never do), but the breakfast looked like a hot selection - sausage, eggs, etc.

Best part? $54 AAA rate! I will definitely use this hotel in the future, as it is an excellent driving break hotel.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:45 pm

Comfort Suites - Haverhill, MA.

Originally Posted by mclee19
Comfort Suites - Haverhill, MA. (Grade: B)

I've never stayed here as I generally come to the area from a different direction, and this hotel tends to more expensive than closer options, but for some odd reason the website showed one king sized suite for $65 (every other room was $80+), so I jumped on it. A quick check shows that rooms can be had here regularly for about that rate.

Hotel is fine, a little older than other CS's I've been in, but still perfectly acceptable. The internet isn't working, I mentioned it at the desk and they immediately took $10 off. But there's an auto dealer real close with an unsecured router, so here I am.

This will definitely become my main hotel when work takes me anywhere along the I-495 corridor north of Boston...
Just going through the thread in prep for some more property reviews and saw this.

Since that review I have stayed at this hotel quite a bit more often, and based on their treatment of me given my elite status, this goes up to an A. I don't know if it's because I am frequent (I suspect not, I think they do this for all elites), but go ahead and book the cheapest room available. They will probably upgrade Plats and Diamonds before you even get to the hotel, and if not, they will give you the upgrade with no problem.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:52 pm

Quality Inn & Conference Center, Ellensberg, WA (WA208)

Grade: B

A good, if dated, option east of Seattle. This west coast trip was on vacation, so I have no idea how the wifi was. I did have to get extra towels, also, as there were only two. Given the vast majority (99%+) of my travel is solo, I can't really recall if this is SOP, though. Otherwise, it was a good place to stop on the drive east. There did not appear to be a free breakfast, but there was a restaurant on site (we didn't eat there). It was a little tough to find at 12:30AM in the rain, and the parking situation wasn't the greatest, but overall...

10K point redemption.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:57 pm

Comfort Suites Airport - Boise, ID (ID038)

Grade: A-

Newer CS, well situated off of I-84. Stayed here for three nights while visiting in the area. Clean room, good mechanicals. Wifi (used it from my phone) was decent.

Large indoor pool (didn't use), breakfast was a little better than the standard fare. Only minor complaint was the desk barely had enough change at 11PM for me to get a load of laundry done on site.

Surprisingly very little around the hotel within easy walking distance, though a short drive yielded restaurants (apparently)

This is a gold medal winner for choice, probably deserving (though, to be honest, while it was perfectly fine and acceptable, it didn't seem exceptional...)

What was exceptional, however, was it being a 10K point redemption!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:06 pm

Rodeway Inn - Boardman, OR (OR097)

Grade - B

I have never stayed at a Rodeway before, so I had no idea what to expect. I chose this as it it is almost exactly halfway between Boise and Skamokawa, WA (a little more than halfway to Portland, then) and it is a Platinum medal winner.

While there is no way I could have stayed here for more than one night as a business traveler, as a through traveler wanting a place to lay their head overnight it was great. A little dated but clean. I believe there are restaurants nearby (we actually stopped in Pendleton for dinner), but a very wide spot of the Columbia is just down the street, perfect for a summer evening walk.

Needed more towels, but everything else was fine. The "convenience" store in the lobby was surprisingly adequate, and more than fairly priced (e.g. 50 cents for a bottle of water).

However, if this is a platinum winner, I think I'd avoid the chain. It seems like the sort of chain that can just be horrid....

8K point redemption. I had two rooms (we had another couple traveling with us), they aren't regular hotel stayers and they were happy/
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:15 pm

Sleep Inn Sea Tac Airport - Seattle, WA (WA090)

Grade - C+/B-

Desperation hotel booking - we decided that between the air mattress we we sleeping on and having to be at the airport early this morning, we'd stay in a hotel. Booked this at 12K, looks like it could be had for 10K off season.

It is a Sleep Inn, except it didn't have the shower head I love at Sleep Inns. The parking situation is terrible, and the checkin process is a little slow, but that just could be our time of arrival (10PM, lots of shuttles coming in). These are the factors that bring it down to a C+/B-.

They have an airport courtesy shuttle, share the parking lot with an IHOP. Couple of other places nearby, but I think I would have had an uneasy feeling walking around there. Driving is fine.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sleep Inn Atlanta Airport (ATL)

Grade: B-

My first time at a Sleep Inn so I didn't know what to expect. My flight got delayed until 12:30 AM and as I had an hour drive home, I decided to try again the next day and the Sleep Inn was $56.

I was happy the shuttle came right away when I called at 10:30 PM as plenty of hotels stop their shuttles at night. The property is with a bunch of other airport hotels and shares a parking lot with a Ruby Tuesday. The lobby is nice and all the employees I encountered were friendly and competent. The computer provided for guests to use worked well.

The room wasn't the best, my windows were covered in grime and I couldn't see out and I had no closet, just a bar with hangers on it in the corner and the bathroom was tiny. However, the bed was really comfortable and the TV had a surprisingly large amount of channels on it.

Breakfast was what I expected: pastries, bagels, toast, two kinds of cereal, some dubious looking sausage patties, yogurt and juice. Check out went fine and the shuttle ran on time. Definitely a decent place to crash for a night.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Comfort Inn & Suites, West Atlantic City, NJ (NJ230)

Comfort Inn & Suites, West Atlantic City, NJ: C+

Converted property, from the exterior one can tell it used to be a Hampton Inn. Front Desk allowed an early check in for me, so that was a great gesture on their part. The room was a little bit cramped for my taste, but adequate. Some furniture, armoir and desk, was showing some age but in general the room itself was clean. The bathroom was spotty at best. There was some dried blood near the bathtub and the toilet was, well every flush produced some kind of cloudy water. Yeah... Warning: Very paper thin walls. There is almost no soundproofing whatsoever. Upon my re-entering this hotel in the early morning, I walked past an African American male sprawled on the bench, one hand with a bagged bottle of liquor. Breakfast was ok, nothing to write home about. I stayed here on a points stay due to the fact Harrah’s could not give me a comped room. The Choice props in this area are lacking, and this one isn’t much better.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Clarion Hotel, Renton, WA

B-

This hotel on East Valley Rd is located in the middle of nowhere, though there is a Keg restaurant right next door. Even on a Saturday night, when restaurants in Southcenter were reporting 2 hour waits, this place had just a bit less atmosphere than a morgue.

The rooms are of a decent size, with bar fridge and microwave. The furnishings are about 20 years old. The hallway brings back memories of the 1970s. As is customary, the lobby looks modern after a fairly recent redo. The hotel offers a hot breakfast with eggs, sausage, etc. It fills a hole but after a trip to the WC, it leaves an even bigger hole.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Econolodge Montmorency falls (Québec City, QC, CA) B+

+ friendly staff, far from downtown but easy to access (by car), room ok, breakfast ok (for a econolodge).
- a bit noisy because of highway

Quality Inn Mont-Laurier (QC, CA) B

+ easy to have room with hot bath, spacious room, bed comfortable
- no free breakfast (just a restaurant), noisy night when they decide to clear the snow at 3AM.

Quality Inn Val d'Or (QC, CA) A-

+ friendly staff, comfortable beds, new hotel, great breakfast
- no Significant Organization Savings Rate, AC/heater a bit noisy

Comfort Inn Downtown Ottawa (ON, CA) B+

+ beds ok, breakfast fine, not far from downtown
- small room

Econolodge Lake Placid (NY) B

+ rates comparing to other Lake Placid Hotel, swimming pool
- quite old building and room
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis Pref, DL Silver, National EE
Sleep Inn Wake Forest, NC (NC309)

Sleep Inn Wake Forest, NC (NC309)

Clean, comfortable room.

Indoor pool, with fitness room located in an enclosed area of the pool room. Fitness room has two treadmills and a stationery bike. The treadmill I used was the quietest one I have ever used.

Breakfast was ok. Usual cereals, apples (no bananas ), waffle machine. Also had heat up sausage biscuit and heat up "omelet".

Breakfast was supposedly to start at 6:00 am, but area was filled by train workers at 5:40 am.

I believe the hotel is completely non-smoking. Saw quite a few outside smoking.

Location is near quite a few restaurants. Mexican restaurant two minute walk.

My room did not have a refrigerator or mw.

It was very busy. I only stayed one night (a Tuesday night). I would stay again if needed.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Sleep Inn, Valdosta, GA

Last minute, shot in the dark reservation. On standby flying out of ATL to anywhere in FL, and no seats. So, headed to VLD, & hubby booked the Sleep Inn in VLD for me while I was in the air. I would certainly stay there again. The room was really spacious. Got a NS/king. Airport shuttle came quickly. Desk allowed me late checkout since my husband had to drive up from central FL to pick me up. Great water pressure in shower and at vanity sink. Complimentary breakfast had the usual fare, although I thought the breakfast area was crowded and not as well thought out as the room design was. Very clean room/efficient a/c. Also, I felt very safe on this property. However, there's not a really close restaurant, but the shuttle service will provide transport to several not too far away.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Sleep Inn, Sea-Tac

Always stay here when passing through Seattle en route to Alaska or returning. Not a bad spot for just an overnight rest when flight itinerary requires it. The building is far from new, but several floors/rooms have undergone recent upgrading, and that's a huge plus. New carpets, drapes, paint, etc. The front desk reps are always friendly and helpful. One does, though, have to make a reservation for the airport shuttle when checking out and returning to SeaTac. Breakfast is reliably fine though standard choices. Airport shuttle service is reliable, although on some trips I've had to wait for them to come get me at SeaTac longer than I'd prefer, however, usually acceptably prompt. Linens have always been clean every time I've stayed there. Again, I've only stayed for overnights and were I to vacation in the Seattle area, this Sleep Inn would not be my first choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.