Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Hotel Cancels Reservation - Provides no Other Options. Need help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2023, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

An NYC Choice hotel says it is canceling my reservation from July 25-August 24 because "the hotel has been taken over for immigrant housing." They've provided no alternatives.

What do I do? This is apparently a contract they entered into with the city and it's really not my fault and it came totally out of the blue. Is it reasonable to ask them to find me an alternate Choice hotel in the area with the same price?
Old Jul 9, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
What has Choice said about it, have you contacted them?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
What has Choice said about it, have you contacted them?
I'll contact them today.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:54 am

How about an update.
arollins likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
How about an update.
Choice was unable to place me in a hotel for the same rate as the canceled hotel. However they gave points to make up for it, the value of which is equal to the difference between the price at the original hotel I was booked at and the price of the next most expensive Choice Hotel. So i am satisfied.
​​​
arollins and trooper like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by AZ26
I'll contact them today.
May I ask how you contacted them? (online form, toll-free number, social media?) We had a similar situation last week. We had a 1-night reservation in the Denver area (booked through the Choice website 5 months in advance and I am a loyalty member, but no status). We were arriving late, and received a call from the hotel close to 8 pm saying due to a room being unexpectedly out of service, they had no more rooms left and they were cancelling our reservation. They gave us no lodging alternatives and offered no compensation. (To be honest, the young lady I spoke to seemed out of her depth.) Unfortunately, there was a Taylor Swift concert in town that night, so everything was pretty much booked within an hour of the city and the few remaining rooms available were going for exorbitant rates. After an hour of searching for options, we managed to finally reach one of our friends in the area and crashed at their place for the night, so we were not out of pocket $400+, but it was a huge inconvenience. When I got home yesterday, I submitted this info on their online customer contact form and asks for points for the inconvenience, but haven't heard anything yet. I didn't even receive one of those automatic "thank you and we will get back to you within 48 hours" type of emails. So I'm wondering if I should give it a few more days or if I'm better off calling the customer relations number 800-300-8800 or trying social media or reaching out in some other way.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 5:35 pm

Wow, that's pretty bad. They oversold their rooms cuz of Taylor Swift and then basically just bumped you because you were an award stay. Sad. You should push for compensation.
PilgrimsProgress likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 8:53 am

You can private message the Choice rep that pops in here on occasion. See the last post in this thread: Upcoming Promotion
arollins likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Wow, that's pretty bad. They oversold their rooms cuz of Taylor Swift and then basically just bumped you because you were an award stay. Sad. You should push for compensation.
It wasn't even a rewards stay, but it was booked at a cheap rate. We assume we were the last reservation, and either they really did have a room out of service (based on some of the property's reviews on Tripadvisor, that wouldn't be a surprise), or like you said, they oversold because of Taylor Swift. And as far as I can tell, Choice Hotels doesn't have a overbooking policy where they "walk" you to another property, like most other major brands such as Hilton, Marriott, or Hyatt. We hadn't even realized Taylor Swift was in town until that day. If we had known, we might have tried to adjust our schedule to arrive earlier. It's always a risk to be the last reservation to check in.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
You can private message the Choice rep that pops in here on occasion. See the last post in this thread: Upcoming Promotion
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that!. I'll post the resolution after I get a response.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ValueGal
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that!. I'll post the resolution after I get a response.
I used the private message option. They promptly responded and gave me 1 night's stay worth of points, which I found quite acceptable for the inconvenience. (And in the future, I'm going to avoid travels to places when Taylor Swift or Beyonce are in town!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.