Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Summer stays using points blocked off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

I am looking to book a stay with a Choice hotel in Norway (would be transferring from amex)

However every time I try to search for a hotel in June, it says "sold out". But when I put a random search in October, it says "can be booked with points for stays before April 22, 2018". Is it normal that Choice blocks out the entire summer from point redemption? or do I just have to wait to book using points closer to my actual stay? Just curious because I tried dates in May through July and it says "sold out" but in October it says you can't book with points after April 22.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
You can't book award stays that far in advance if you don't have elite status.

Newby question - Choice Hotel award nights totally blacked out for next year?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meraki
I am looking to book a stay with a Choice hotel in Norway (would be transferring from amex)

However every time I try to search for a hotel in June, it says "sold out". But when I put a random search in October, it says "can be booked with points for stays before April 22, 2018". Is it normal that Choice blocks out the entire summer from point redemption? or do I just have to wait to book using points closer to my actual stay? Just curious because I tried dates in May through July and it says "sold out" but in October it says you can't book with points after April 22.
Choice Privileges always puts time limit "windows" on hotel rewards redemption.

If you have no status, you can only book 30 days in advance "domestically" and 60 days in advance "internationally".

Only Choice elite status (at higher levels) lengthens that, up to 100 days ahead for Diamond status. No one can book Choice Privileges award stays further than 100 days out.

But even a Diamond at 100 days would only be able to book through July 1 at this point. And a Platinum would only be able to book through early June at this point.

Do also read the thread that OhDoctor linked, it has even more info on this.

Btw, I keep spelling out Choice Privileges because there are other Choice programs in a few parts of the world, and their redemption rules might be different. But it's difficult to earn in those other Choice programs if you don't live or at least travel very often (on paid Choice stays) where they're based.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 23, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, I knew something was up, it just seemed weird when I was searching.

I tried to get a status match (Starwood gold) but I haven't gotten a response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.