Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Newby question - Choice Hotel award nights totally blacked out for next year?

Old Nov 14, 17, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold

Trying to use points to book hotels in Oslo for 2018 and getting an error message, saying that award nights are not available - award nights are only available 30 days ahead from booking.

That can't be right surely?

Luckily we have the opportunity to move the points to Mileage Plus at a bonus rate until 30 Nov see Loyalty Lobby
Old Nov 14, 17, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by harryhv View Post
Trying to use points to book hotels in Oslo for 2018 and getting an error message, saying that award nights are not available - award nights are only available 30 days ahead from booking.

That can't be right surely?
Why can't it be right? Have you familiarized yourself with the program's redemption rules?

And don't call me Shirley!

Old Nov 14, 17, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
From the Choice Privileges program rules:

"Members who have not yet achieved Elite Status must make their free night reservation personally through the Program Line or through their online account no more than 30 days prior to planned arrival for stays in their country of residence. Sixty days prior to their planned arrival at all other locations worldwide."
Old Nov 15, 17, 5:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

"Members who have not yet achieved Elite Status must make their free night reservation personally through the Program Line or through their online account no more than 30 days prior to planned arrival for stays in their country of residence. Sixty days prior to their planned arrival at all other locations worldwide."
Is there a different loyalty program for Choice customers in Australia than in the US? The Choice customers with an account with the Nordic Choice Club program have a different set of rules than those using the Choice program with which most of us here are most familiar.

.... and even for the Choice US program customers, it's no more than 60 days to book the Nordic Choice properties unless having Platinum or Diamond status.
Old Nov 16, 17, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

Thanks for the explanations, but I have Platinum status with Choice Privileges thanks to a status match 3 months ago, so that isn't the issue here.

If there's any other Platinums about, please have a quick look at Oslo for May 2018 and see if it's blacked out for you too?
Old Nov 16, 17, 7:15 am

If there's any other Platinums about, please have a quick look at Oslo for May 2018 and see if it's blacked out for you too?
So I'm Plat in US and this is outside the window you can reserve with points.I tried anyway and get "CAN BE BOOKED WITH POINTS FOR STAYS BEFORE
JANUARY 31, 2018". Shows for all hotels, I assume this is Oslo Norway, there are several Oslo's in the US.
Old Nov 16, 17, 9:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); IHG Spire Ambassador
The reward nights booking window for Platinums is 75 days.

https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...bership-levels
Old Nov 16, 17, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Choice Privileges Stinks

Originally Posted by markko View Post
The reward nights booking window for Platinums is 75 days.

https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...bership-levels
Unbelievable!

Many thanks for letting me know - My newfound loyalty from the Choice Privileges status-match is rapidly ebbing away. In fact this will be a record for my shortest encounter with a loyalty-program.

After all, the original purpose of any loyalty program is to get business travellers to continue to pay for rooms at your hotels by giving them points which they can later use for freebies on personal vacations. Whereas these idiots at Choice Privileges seem to have the topsy-turvy view that they can encourage loyalty by offering free rooms for short-notice business trips while blacking out pre-planned vacation rooms.

My points are on their way to United
Old Nov 16, 17, 7:23 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Bye. Nice seeing you.
Old Nov 17, 17, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unbelievable!

Many thanks for letting me know - My newfound loyalty from the Choice Privileges status-match is rapidly ebbing away. In fact this will be a record for my shortest encounter with a loyalty-program.

After all, the original purpose of any loyalty program is to get business travellers to continue to pay for rooms at your hotels by giving them points which they can later use for freebies on personal vacations. Whereas these idiots at Choice Privileges seem to have the topsy-turvy view that they can encourage loyalty by offering free rooms for short-notice business trips while blacking out pre-planned vacation rooms.

My points are on their way to United
I find the vast majority of Choice hotels I want to redeem at still have rooms available for points 75 days out.

But if you don't want to learn how to work the Choice system to your advantage, go ahead, bye.
Old Nov 19, 17, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I find the vast majority of Choice hotels I want to redeem at still have rooms available for points 75 days out.
Thatís been my experience also, with the exception of those properties which have played a kind of categorization game to keep most rooms very difficulty to get with points.
Old Jan 9, 18, 10:31 am

Programs: United Platinum, 1M miler; Delta Silver; Alaska Silver
Evidently, if you do not have the right status for web redemption, the web site simply says the rooms are sold out. Don't believe it; call the customer service line to find out the real story.

Search this Thread