Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Tap the App giveaway? I'd like to punch the app in the face!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tap the App giveaway? I'd like to punch the app in the face!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:28 am

When is the next real promotion expected to start?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shtimseht
No one knows, since they're obviously not following the pattern from previous winters (where it would have started by now).

No one here has any knowledge of future promotions. We can only predict based on past years, since Choice up to now has not changed promotions that much from year to year, but this stupid app "contest" seems to be in place of any promotion related to actually staying at hotels this year .
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
Originally Posted by charlesonmission
Is the promotion down? Don't see the option in the app anymore.
Promotion is still available, I just signed up again this morning.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:19 am

FYI - The current promotion is still around
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ramonortiz55
FYI - The current promotion is still around
That wasn't the question asked!

The question was: When is the next real promotion, ie, a promotion earned while staying at Choice hotels (not some silly contest)?

The last stay promotion ended Nov 11! So what do mean by it still being around??? It's not a promotion on booking through app, just a silly contest (where most people will get nothing at all).

There is zero incentive to stay at Choice hotels with the silly app promotion.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That wasn't the question asked!

The question was: When is the next real promotion, ie, a promotion earned while staying at Choice hotels (not some silly contest)?

The last stay promotion ended Nov 11! So what do mean by it still being around??? It's not a promotion on booking through app, just a silly contest (where most people will get nothing at all).

There is zero incentive to stay at Choice hotels with the silly app promotion.
ahhh..

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

It probably wont be until the promotion is over.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Pretty sad that this is what passes for a promotion with Choice these days. And I’m stuck for two weeks in Manistique, MI, with limited options.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Tap the App giveaway "ad" has disappeared from the front page of Choice lately. Hopefully that's in preparation for an upcoming stay-based promo hopefully not starting any later than the beginning of March.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:24 am

The Tap the App giveaway "ad" has disappeared from the front page of Choice lately. Hopefully that's in preparation for an upcoming stay-based promo hopefully not starting any later than the beginning of March.
I just opened the App, my last two reservations were online... I got "Order Food & Earn Points" pop up. Gee thanks, I'd rather have a promotion please!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:02 pm

Did anyone actually win tap the app here?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Did anyone actually win tap the app here?
Nada. I think they give the grand prizes away by March 1st though.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I didn't bother with this promotion, but I am concerned that this could be the new reality for Choice. As noted within the thread, the typical Choice promotion most of the year is some variant on two stays, 8K points. And generally, one of those promotions is marketed as "two stays, get a free night at over 1500 hotels."

I haven't done a count, but I suspect the number of properties redeeming at 8K has gone down dramatically. In addition, the introduction of dynamic pricing for awards has even made some of those properties more than 8K on average.

So Choice has a problem. How long can they keep pushing the usual promotions--probably in the face of some resistance from plenty of franchisees? It's not likely they will adjust the number of points upwards--two stays equals 10K. And it's just as likely that more properties will keep raising their redemption rates.

In other words, Choice may be finding their longstanding promotion paradigm unsustainable.

I hope not, but they may be testing the waters.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I didn't bother with this promotion, but I am concerned that this could be the new reality for Choice. As noted within the thread, the typical Choice promotion most of the year is some variant on two stays, 8K points. And generally, one of those promotions is marketed as "two stays, get a free night at over 1500 hotels."

I haven't done a count, but I suspect the number of properties redeeming at 8K has gone down dramatically. In addition, the introduction of dynamic pricing for awards has even made some of those properties more than 8K on average.

So Choice has a problem. How long can they keep pushing the usual promotions--probably in the face of some resistance from plenty of franchisees? It's not likely they will adjust the number of points upwards--two stays equals 10K. And it's just as likely that more properties will keep raising their redemption rates.

In other words, Choice may be finding their longstanding promotion paradigm unsustainable.

A contest is not testing the waters for a stay promotion.

They've always had something like triple points or double points during the winter before. (They never had "stay 2" promos during the winter before.)

Meanwhile, if too few properties are 8000 points, they could always "recalibrate" to say something like "stay 3 times and earn 12000 points", which would be a more useful amount of points (but would require stays in groups of 3 instead of just groups of 2). That is what I would call "testing the waters", doing a contest (which has nothing to do with stays) is not "testing the waters" at all IMHO (unless it's testing to see how many people stay away until there's a stay-based promotion).

Remember, the main purpose of promotions is to get people to stay more, not to reward people for the stays they're already doing. With no stay based promos of any kind (not even 1.5x points!), there's nothing to induce "follow the promos" people to come back to staying at Choice properties.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
A contest is not testing the waters for a stay promotion.

They've always had something like triple points or double points during the winter before. (They never had "stay 2" promos during the winter before.)

Meanwhile, if too few properties are 8000 points, they could always "recalibrate" to say something like "stay 3 times and earn 12000 points", which would be a more useful amount of points (but would require stays in groups of 3 instead of just groups of 2). That is what I would call "testing the waters", doing a contest (which has nothing to do with stays) is not "testing the waters" at all IMHO (unless it's testing to see how many people stay away until there's a stay-based promotion).

Remember, the main purpose of promotions is to get people to stay more, not to reward people for the stays they're already doing. With no stay based promos of any kind (not even 1.5x points!), there's nothing to induce "follow the promos" people to come back to staying at Choice properties.
I agree it's a bad promotion. Keep in mind, we're talking about the geniuses that took over a year to fix the booking website. But if I were testing out the idea of leaving behind the "two stays, 8K" format, I'd do it during the winter months when you'd likely lose the least amount of business. IHG is facing a variant of the same problem with its recent revisions to their Pointsbreak promotion--I'm sure franchisees simply quit allowing even a small portion of their rooms to be taken for the equivalent of $30 in points so pushed for the inclusion of 10K and 15K properties. And even with those revisions, the reaction to the current IHG promotion has been blah at best. Choice may be going through the same issues. As we know from other loyalty programs, no guarantees that we'll be happy with the approach they take.

I haven't had a Choice stay in over two months--the longest break I've taken from the program in a long time. And here we are at February 19th, with no announcement as to the next promotion.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva

I just went to the Choice website to check if anything had changed, and I happened to notice that the credit card promo block still says 32000 points which is good for up to 4 free nights, so that's still using the 8000 point free night metric.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.