FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Choice | Choice Privileges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges-640/)
-   -   Tap the App giveaway? I'd like to punch the app in the face! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges/1882181-tap-app-giveaway-id-like-punch-app-face.html)

nsx Dec 11, 2017 9:29 am

Tap the App giveaway? I'd like to punch the app in the face!

Since when is it a best practice to deny access to people who are two revisions behind the latest IOS, including all owners of older iPhones and iPads. My iPhone 4 works perfectly on IOS9 and this is the first time I've encountered an app I can't even download.

My wife has an iPhone 6, so I gave that one a shot. After about 6 minutes of the most infuriating app signup process I've ever experienced, I gave up. I must have clicked over 50 squares to prove I'm not a robot over and over again. Meanwhile the app claimed that my zip code was missing and would not accept anything I entered in that field. Maybe someone decided they didn't want to give anything away, and breaking the app was a way to accomplish that?

Choice has found a novel way to give away money and alienate customers at the same time!

Eastbay1K Dec 11, 2017 9:44 am

I registered and still can't figure out how the thing is supposed to work.

GUWonder Dec 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Given the taxes due from winning a prize in the “App giveaway”, I’m not sure it’s worth all that much to participate daily for some. Choice giving out a 1099 for c. $700 for winning 100,000 points? Seems like that kind of thing will be part of this.

n dakota Dec 12, 2017 9:38 am

I can't even figure out how to register on the app. You're supposed be be able to open the app and register once. I also don't see where to tap the app once your in the app. Maybe it shows up once your registered. Who knows

ramonortiz55 Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 29160602)
I registered and still can't figure out how the thing is supposed to work.

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 29162654)
Given the taxes due from winning a prize in the “App giveaway”, I’m not sure it’s worth all that much to participate daily for some. Choice giving out a 1099 for c. $700 for winning 100,000 points? Seems like that kind of thing will be part of this.

Originally Posted by n dakota (Post 29165102)
I can't even figure out how to register on the app. You're supposed be be able to open the app and register once. I also don't see where to tap the app once your in the app. Maybe it shows up once your registered. Who knows

update the app.

I was going thru the same headache.

I had to update the app THREE times for the app giveaway to pop up in the app

ellylex Dec 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Exactly the same situation with me as described by OP! It is unbearable. I was able to finally enter yesterday. But today the app states "thank you for your enthusiasm"! Awful promo.

PS I clicked on squares for an hour! to "verify" device

Fyd Dec 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by ellylex (Post 29166982)
Exactly the same situation with me as described by OP! It is unbearable. I was able to finally enter yesterday. But today the app states "thank you for your enthusiasm"! Awful promo.

PS I clicked on squares for an hour! to "verify" device

lol Same here - I probably clicked on every "street sign image" available on the interwebs...
after you have registered, you still have to enter your email every day to "tapp the app", after which it may or may not confirm your participation. You know you got an entry, when it thanks you for your enthusiasm...
If this promo is meant to get you excited about the app and use it in the future, I'd say they failed in my case...

sdsearch Dec 14, 2017 7:35 pm

I was staying (on points) at a Clarion last night, and I checked the front desk to see if they had new promo placemats, and instead all the front desk placemats were advertising this "Tap the App" promo. I'm hoping this isn't going to be the only promo until February 9! :eek: I want promos where I'm certain to earn something, rather having a small chance to win something.

GUWonder Dec 15, 2017 5:48 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 29175651)
I was staying (on points) at a Clarion last night, and I checked the front desk to see if they had new promo placemats, and instead all the front desk placemats were advertising this "Tap the App" promo. I'm hoping this isn't going to be the only promo until February 9! :eek: I want promos where I'm certain to earn something, rather having a small chance to win something.

That’s my concern too about no promo until some point in February. I would rather earn 8k+ points for two one night stays than have an expected return of a couple of thousand points (at most if I played daily) and then get socked with having to pay taxes for “winning” were I to win a substantial chunk of points from this promo.

sdsearch Dec 16, 2017 10:09 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 29176943)
That’s my concern too about no promo until some point in February. I would rather earn 8k+ points for two one night stays than have an expected return of a couple of thousand points (at most if I played daily) and then get socked with having to pay taxes for “winning” were I to win a substantial chunk of points from this promo.

Historically the winter promo has never been stay 2 earn 8000. It's typically been double or maybe triple points. Then in the spring, summer, and fall, they return to stay 2 earn 8000.

scott_w Dec 17, 2017 2:27 pm

I would like to Slapp the Crapp out of the App.

nsx Dec 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by scott_w (Post 29185273)
I would like to Slapp the Crapp out of the App.

Scott wins the thread!

MartinElk Dec 30, 2017 10:46 am

I also could never find a registration link on either the app, or the website, and was ready to "Slapp the Crapp out of the App"!! :mad:

I then searched Google with this phrase "cannot register for the choice privileges Tap the App sweepstakes", and one of the links took me to a registration page that DID work!

https://choicehotels.promo.eprize.com/sweeps/

I figure if they make it this hard to register, we might actually have a better chance of wining something :cool:

charlesonmission Jan 2, 2018 11:00 am

Is the promotion down? Don't see the option in the app anymore.

xichang08 Jan 2, 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by charlesonmission (Post 29240404)
Is the promotion down? Don't see the option in the app anymore.

It did seem to be gone from the app but I just logged on and it is back!