Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Lawsuit: Man racks up $48,500 in gift cards via glitch in hotel rewards program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lawsuit: Man racks up $48,500 in gift cards via glitch in hotel rewards program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Choice doesn't give points in my experience for making reservations; the points show up only a day or two after you stay.

If you cancel before you stay, you don't earn points because you didn't stay.
That's what makes this a "glitch". This horrible man stumbled on a method to rack up points without staying at the hotel. He used that method to defraud Choice.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thelostshark
I've been a member of CP for, oh, I dunno 10-15 years, and I can think of 2 occasions where I cancelled stays, and I did not received points for either one Methinks there's more to this story and than made it into the newspaper. tls
I was thinking that surely someone on FlyerTalk would have posted this trick, but so far as I can see, no one has. No points for my canceled stays, either.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel
I was thinking that surely someone on FlyerTalk would have posted this trick, but so far as I can see, no one has. No points for my canceled stays, either.
the best continue to NOT be posted

apparently there are all sorts of invite only email/forum/etc
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: JGC,SFC, BestWestern DS, Choice P, HH D, Hyatt Ds, IHG D, Marriott P, Radisson V, Wyndham D, Sixt P
$50 Gift card costs 16,000 Choice Privileges Points.
So, he got 15,520,000 Choice Privileges Points.

He can transfer points to AA or UA and get 3,104,000 miles.

Last edited by Global1Flyer; Jun 4, 2015 at 9:41 pm
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I was thinking that surely someone on FlyerTalk would have posted this trick, but so far as I can see, no one has.
It was alluded to on posts on FT, but then deleted or otherwise buried. There have been related pushing of the envelopes.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:25 am
Suspended

Couldn't perhaps IHG do the same thing with folks who use the cash + points trick and then cancel to get the points at a much cheaper price than buying them outright?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global1Flyer
$50 Gift card costs 16,000 Choice Privileges Points.
So, he got 15,520,000 Choice Privileges Points.

He can transfer points to AA or UA and get 3,104,000 miles.
With 15 million Choice points, I could live in Choice hotels for five years and have breakfast, dinner and gym access included while being within 25 minutes of a major airport with daily non-stop flights to multiple points in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America on major carriers.

Cashing out for gift cards seems a rather desperate move to be insulated from Choice clawing back and wiping out all the points, unless it was part of a "rinse and repeat" shopping mall approach.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by TMM1982
They would need to post a sign right next to the cash saying "This cash is private property. You may not take it. If you take it, that is theft." That sign would need to be front and center so that a person could not claim ignorance.

Without that, any sane person would logically conclude that it's fair game.
You consider anything out in public that does not have a "Do not steal" sign on it to be free for anyone to take? My car in the driveway? Kid's bike on the lawn? Statue on the courthouse steps? Just asking to be taken?

An interesting interpretation. Not accurate, but certainly interesting.

That will be dismissed. That's the hotel's problem.
I'm going with "No". I guess we'll see.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPRich
You consider anything out in public that does not have a "Do not steal" sign on it to be free for anyone to take? My car in the driveway? Kid's bike on the lawn? Statue on the courthouse steps? Just asking to be taken?

An interesting interpretation. Not accurate, but certainly interesting.
Not as dramatic as that but if I'm walking down the street and I see a big fat bag of cash just laying on the sidewalk, and nobody is around, the big fat bag of cash is coming home with daddy.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:49 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-how-post.html let's move this to the appropriate hotel forum, thanks.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
With 15 million Choice points, I could live in Choice hotels for five years and have breakfast, dinner and gym access included while being within 25 minutes of a major airport with daily non-stop flights to multiple points in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America on major carriers.
Not even in theory.

Remember, Choice points have a hard expiration date, and it's a lot less than 5 years.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigLar
Not even in theory.

Remember, Choice points have a hard expiration date, and it's a lot less than 5 years.
Has Choice killed off the latest version of the expiration extension game? If so, then I guess we are indeed back to a couple of years short of that.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Has Choice killed off the latest version of the expiration extension game?
What is that game and how does it work?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
From the article:
"I'll be hiring a lawyer tomorrow to fight the suit as there was nothing done illegal nor was anything done in malice," Chat said late Tuesday. "I stayed at over 1,100 Choice hotels in the last five years. … I worked with their bonus structure to obtain points."

He added, "I'm not even computer literate. If I obtained more rewards than allowed, it's on their end, not mine. As I've stayed in their hotels exclusively for over six years, points do accumulate."
He's going to need a better defense than that...
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Not as dramatic as that but if I'm walking down the street and I see a big fat bag of cash just laying on the sidewalk, and nobody is around, the big fat bag of cash is coming home with daddy.
Inappropriate analogy... Presumably one had to go to the Choice website to take advantage of this glitch, i.e. go onto their property. A bag a cash on the sidewalk has no obvious owner and is on public property, this would be similar to the OP getting his Choice points from some non-Choice anonymous public website and those points just sitting in plain view with a button saying "click to take". But, the OP had to go to the Choice website and take advantage of a glitch to make it work. This is like going onto a Choice property, knowing a trick to opening a back door to the property, and taking merchandise out that back door.

There are several home improvement stores in my area that leave merchandise outside after closing (garden sheds, granite, etc...), same with my local supermarket that has charcoal briquettes sitting outside, even after closing. You will be arrested for theft if you go there and take them (and get caught).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.