Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Lawsuit: Man racks up $48,500 in gift cards via glitch in hotel rewards program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Man charged with fraud for using Choice Hotels reward web site glitch

In short, the man being sued found that if he created and canceled a reservation, he still got points for it, so he did a lot of canceled reservations, got a lot of points, and cashed them in on gift cards. Now Choice is suing him for fraud.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/...rogram/2232113
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillTravel
In short, the man being sued found that if he created and canceled a reservation, he still got points for it, so he did a lot of canceled reservations, got a lot of points, and cashed them in on gift cards. Now Choice is suing him for fraud.

That will be dismissed. That's the hotel's problem.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Pudding Man and the target of the lawsuit are completely different in what they did. Purchasing products to collect points is a distinct activity from willfully collecting and using points from non-purchases.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Pudding Man and the target of the lawsuit are completely different in what they did. Purchasing products to collect points is a distinct activity from willfully collecting and using points from non-purchases.
This
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Doesn't Choice audit their reward point distributions when someone is racking up many points in short order?

I mean, fair enough if Choice called the guy after he did it 5 or 10 times and said that this practice is not allowed and that he'd have to cough up the dough. But he must have done it hundreds and hundreds of times... this presumably didn't happen overnight. Is Choice not under some obligation to keep tabs on its system in a timely way and notify the customer if they're doing something that's not kosher?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Doesn't Choice audit their reward point distributions when someone is racking up many points in short order?

I mean, fair enough if Choice called the guy after he did it 5 or 10 times and said that this practice is not allowed and that he'd have to cough up the dough. But he must have done it hundreds and hundreds of times... this presumably didn't happen overnight. Is Choice not under some obligation to keep tabs on its system in a timely way and notify the customer if they're doing something that's not kosher?
It's not their obligation to do anything. It's the user's obligation to obey the rules and ask if he doesn't understand them (which he presumably did, but chose to violate).

"Sorry sir, but we would prefer it if you would stop robbing our bank. If you do not, we will have to notify the police"
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:34 am

I just read the following:

ST. PETERSBURG — It was the glitch that kept on giving.

That's how Choice Hotels International, one of the world's largest hotel chains, portrays a flaw in its online reservations system in a lawsuit accusing a St. Petersburg man of fraudulently redeeming gift cards worth $48,500 in a rewards program for loyal customers.

[Mod: full text deleted in accordance with FT rules]

Last edited by ftnoob; Jun 4, 2015 at 2:43 pm Reason: quoting full text not allowed
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
"Sorry sir, but we would prefer it if you would stop robbing our bank. If you do not, we will have to notify the police"
The only problem is that in this case, Choice decided to haul all their cash from their bank out to their front yard and leave it unattended. As far as I'm concerned, it's fair game.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
The only problem is that in this case, Choice decided to haul all their cash from their bank out to their front yard and leave it unattended. As far as I'm concerned, it's fair game.
If they store their cash in the front yard it's asking for theft but taking it still is theft.
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by heraclitus

To answer the opening question above: "yes", and this wasn't the only time.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
I've been a member of CP for, oh, I dunno 10-15 years, and I can think of 2 occasions where I cancelled stays, and I did not received points for either one Methinks there's more to this story and than made it into the newspaper. tls
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If they store their cash in the front yard it's asking for theft but taking it still is theft.
They would need to post a sign right next to the cash saying "This cash is private property. You may not take it. If you take it, that is theft." That sign would need to be front and center so that a person could not claim ignorance.

Without that, any sane person would logically conclude that it's fair game.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand what he was doing. Choice doesn't give points in my experience for making reservations; the points show up only a day or two after you stay.

If you cancel before you stay, you don't earn points because you didn't stay.

And you can't cancel after you stay.

From the article: "Robert Chat, 38, discovered the Choice Hotels booking system didn't erase his rewards points when he canceled a reservation, the suit said."

I don't understand what rewards points should be "erased" when you cancel a reservation!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There must be more to the story.

In any case, Choice should just suck it up. It clearly didn't happen all at once so they had time to catch it, and in any case it appears to have been their mistake.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thelostshark
I've been a member of CP for, oh, I dunno 10-15 years, and I can think of 2 occasions where I cancelled stays, and I did not received points for either one Methinks there's more to this story and than made it into the newspaper. tls
Scam portal: shopping portal-related points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.