Charged for Safe???

Old Oct 14, 11, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Charged for Safe???

Ok I know this is not a huge issue but it really bugs me. I checked into a Comfort Inn last night in YYC, as I am sitting here in the airport I am reviewing my bill and there is a charge

"Safe w/ltd Warranty $2.00"

I call the hotel but GM was not in yet but the guy at the front desk says yes we charge if you use the safe "not great english so I only think that's what he said". I got no where with him. By the way I did not even know there was a safe in the room!

Ok I checked in last night and they said sign here, here & here, I don't have my glasses on but I sign thinking it is the damage and no smoking policy but I am wondering now if I also may have signed for a safe although nothing was explained. I know, I know shame on me but come on we all do it

I have emailed the gm but just wondering if anyone else has run across this. My employer will pick up the costs this is about "principle", I mean are they going to be allowed to charge us $1.00 if we use the bath towel next? The cost for this should be included in the cost of the room IMHO.

Let me know your comments maybe I am just making a big deal outta nothing...thanks
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 14, 11, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, I've seen this many times over the years. Not always disclosed up front but always taken off when I complain. This is merely a bait-and-switch scheme so they can bump revenue and not show it in the room rate. Very popular with the low-end properties, but also being done in higher-end properties with things like a "resort fee" or the latest I saw was a "hotel service fee" and the only explanation was: every one else does it.

You might have trouble getting it reversed after leaving, but do pursue it. Maybe some time they will learn it's costing them more to reverse the charge than what they are making.
strickerj and Brendan like this.
Old Oct 14, 11, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Thanks for the information and support. I have dealt with resort fee's before but the information was always up front, can't say I have ever had to pay for a safe before expecially when I did not want one.

I still don't understand why this was not in the price of the room is a safe

When I checked out i was not asked to review the bill they just printed it out and airport shuttle was waiting you know the story but still shame on me for now reviewing then.

Still no call or email from the GM , maybe it is his day off
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 14, 11, 2:14 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National EA, Avis First, HHonors Silver, Delta Skymiles
Staying at a Sleep Inn tonight with in-room safes. First two times we stayed there I made sure to mention that the safe was unused so the charge would be removed. Last time they removed the charge without my asking. Will see what happens tomorrow.
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 16, 11, 2:34 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
As I understand from speaking with a few property owners, often, the safes were provided free of charge to the property by a third party who splits the "Safe Fee" with the property. Let's the property offer an
"ammenity" without any upfront capital. As others have noted, FD staff are generally quick to remove these but usually only on request.
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 17, 11, 8:34 am
Original Poster

I think you are right if I had mentioned at check out the charge probably would have been removed, not sure if my being a gold member member would mean anything.
I have sent the GM a 3rd email this morning asking for an explanation, I think this may be on of those hotels who thinks that "we the customer should be grateful" they let us stay there.
I also put in an on-line complaint with Choice Hotels this morning. What really gets me is how deceitful the business practice of this particular hotel was, I am willing to persue my $2.00 in small claims court, I think they need to made an example of.

Now I know things could have been so much worse than a $2 hotel charge but us road warriors have look out for each other
Old Oct 17, 11, 11:08 am
Original Poster

End of the story

Just received an email from the GM with me new folio attached, they reversed the safe charge....go figure.....
Old Oct 18, 11, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
I was charged a "resort fee" at a Quality Inn in Anaheim recently. I pointed out to the front desk clerk that the fee was not identified on my confirmation. He said that Choice hotels made them charge it. Really. It was a standard hotel, not a "resort". It was just $6 or something so it was not worth the hassle. Except, little do they know that they won the battle but I won the war. I am taking my business to another "resort" the next time we are in town.
Old Oct 18, 11, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by IsleTraveller View Post
I was charged a "resort fee" at a Quality Inn in Anaheim recently. I pointed out to the front desk clerk that the fee was not identified on my confirmation. He said that Choice hotels made them charge it. Really. It was a standard hotel, not a "resort". It was just $6 or something so it was not worth the hassle. Except, little do they know that they won the battle but I won the war. I am taking my business to another "resort" the next time we are in town.
Try going to Puerto Rico... They charge a "hotel use fee" that is a percentage of the room rate and equal to or greater than the occupancy tax! I'm waiting for them to put a CC reader in the elevators or shower!
Old Oct 19, 11, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IsleTraveller View Post
There is a "resort" fee charged if the hotel is within a certain distance of Disneyland, I've been told. It's not the hotel that's a "resort", but your proximity to the Disneyland "resort".

Stay a bit further from Disneyland next time and you won't get charged it.

(And it's not like being within a mile of some Disneyland wall means that you can walk to Disneyland, anyway. It's just a moneymaking gimmick to have hotels within this range charge "resort" fees, since sometimes hotels futher away provide just as easy access via buses which you are only charged for if you use them.)
Old Oct 19, 11, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

We really need to fight these add on hotel money makers, these add $$ on hotel bills are getting just like the airlines, before you know it extras and taxes will be as expensive as the room charge it self.

Also wanted to say if you don't say anything to the hotel they will think they are getting away with the charge, by simply not going back to the hotel and taking your business else where does nothing as the hotel does not know.

Please fellow road warriors speak up and voice your opinion to these hotels and when you are sitting at the airport and have a minute email the hotel GM, there usually is some kind of email address on your hotel folio.
Old Oct 19, 11, 11:30 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i was charged with housekeeping fee of $5 dollars recently. twice..
Old Oct 20, 11, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
That wasn't in the desolate areas of NV was it? I got that one and raised HH, especially since it wasn't on the bill at checkout! May have been their way of getting a tip, but lost the tip and lost future business.
Old Oct 26, 11, 8:29 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
That wasn't in the desolate areas of NV was it? I got that one and raised HH, especially since it wasn't on the bill at checkout! May have been their way of getting a tip, but lost the tip and lost future business.
i am going to write to CP about this; but just wait till my points post properly first before complaining. i think this is bad practice to charge for housekeeping.
if they have the fee, list it upfront so that i can plan accordingly.

this is worst that spirit airline.

it was in Orlando.
Old Oct 26, 11, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Cool

Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
This one's just weird. I could see $250, if they'd warned of it up front if so-and-so happened, and it happened. But $5?! Weird. And another irony is that I've lately stayed in several Quality Inns and Rodeways where no such fee for egregious (prior) mishaps has ever been spent on the room I was first assigned.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: