Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

24,000 + 8,000 (update: or 16,000) points for no-fee Choice credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Blind and Green
  • 64,000 total points, apply by November 30, 2018
  • 32,000 points for $1,000 spend within 90 days
  • Additional 32,000 points for $2k additional spend ($3k total) within 180 days
    • no annual fee
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2513&cellNumber=5

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter

The offer has changed
Choice is now offering (as of July 2013):
8,000 points after your first use of the card
24,000 extra points when you pay for a stay at a Choice hotel with the card
Gold status
2 points per dollar on all purchases with the card
No annual fee
Card is offered by Barclays Bank

Link to application page (working on July 19, 2013):
http://www.choicehotels.com/en/hotelvisacreditcard

Last edited by onthego15; Jul 19, 2013 at 8:34 pm Reason: update
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:16 am

Does anyone know if Barclays will 'bump the bonus', and how long they will do it for after getting a card through them?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Does anyone know if Barclays will 'bump the bonus', and how long they will do it for after getting a card through them?
If you're talking about the 8000 point bonus for first stay, I called them when I got the card (was not staying in hotels at the time) and was told that the bonus is just sitting there waiting for you to make a stay. Officially, no time limit.

It's been about a year and I have't stayed yet, so realistically, I'm not expecting it.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
If you're talking about the 8000 point bonus for first stay, I called them when I got the card (was not staying in hotels at the time) and was told that the bonus is just sitting there waiting for you to make a stay. Officially, no time limit.

It's been about a year and I have't stayed yet, so realistically, I'm not expecting it.
I meant I received the Choice Visa a couple months ago with the 8,000 + 8,000 bonus, and I'm wondering if Barclays will match me to the current 24,000 + 8,000 bonus. Some banks will grant matching requests 60-90 days of signup, others will not.

Last edited by lowfareair; Aug 15, 2011 at 12:31 pm
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A phone call should give you the answer. And remember ... if you don't like the answer, say "Thank you", hang up, and call again later.

Please let us know what the answer is. I'm sure others might be interested also.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: DL, FL, BA, AA, CO, UA, AS, US
Bump the Bonus...

I would try. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
But I will tell you that Barclay's tends to not be accommodating when it comes to bumping the bonus.
I've had their AirTran and USairways cards so I've followed those FT groups over time
and I don't think I've ever heard of a success with them on this.

They seem to be the tightest bank I now of too when it comes to issuing credit too. Oh well...

I'd give it a try though, doesn't hurt to ask
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:31 pm

As I read it, the fine print at the bottom of this offer contradicts the large print at the top... and offers only half the points it claims. Am I reading it right?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abuelo
As I read it, the fine print at the bottom of this offer contradicts the large print at the top... and offers only half the points it claims. Am I reading it right?
Yes, indeed, they say only 8000 points for first use.

But if you click the T&Cs open, and scroll down there, it's back to saying 24000 points!

I know Meatloaf said 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but Meatloaf is not the one who'll decide what bonus you get here.

Somebody at BarclaysCard needs to get their act together...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

This is why it is always good to take a screenshot of the offer you are applying for - just in case....

I applied for this 24,000 + 8,000 point offer in April and my points posted promptly. And I am pretty sure that the web address I used in April was the same.

So, I am guessing that it's a typo on Barclay's part. But do save a screenshot of the offer if you apply.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:52 pm

Can you transfer the points to AAdvantage?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by RubberCityRebel
I would try. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
But I will tell you that Barclay's tends to not be accommodating when it comes to bumping the bonus.
I've had their AirTran and USairways cards so I've followed those FT groups over time
and I don't think I've ever heard of a success with them on this.

They seem to be the tightest bank I now of too when it comes to issuing credit too. Oh well...

I'd give it a try though, doesn't hurt to ask
They were fairly loose with me, even though Citi and others were tight...

But the vast majority here do report the opposite.

Last edited by johndoe123; Aug 18, 2011 at 7:06 pm
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JCary
Can you transfer the points to AAdvantage?
If you really want to. But you'll get so few AAdvantage miles out of this (it's about a 5:1 ratio Choice:AA) that I don't see why it would be worth it. Would you really apply for a card just for 6000 AA miles???

It all depends on how you use your miles, but for those who use for typical domestic coach awards, 6000 AA miles is worth maybe around $100ish.

But the same 32000 Choice points that you'd transfer to only about 6000 AA miles can (if you leave them as Choice points) be used in the second half of September (onward into the fall) for 4 nights at most any Choice hotel in Europe, easily saving you $600 or $800 or maybe even more if you use it that way.

And the points won't expire for about 2.5 years from now. So if you don't use them by then, you could still transfer them to AA then.

So I don't see why you'd want to transfer them to AA except as a backup, given the huge value difference between keeping them as points vs transferring to AA miles.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Choice has upgraded this offer to 24,000 bonus points after first use of the card and now 16,000 points after using the card for your first Choice hotel stay.
Other details are the same:

http://www.choicehotels.com/fivefreenights
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by onthego15
Choice has upgraded this offer to 24,000 bonus points after first use of the card and now 16,000 points after using the card for your first Choice hotel stay.
Other details are the same:

http://www.choicehotels.com/fivefreenights
Darn -- I just applied for this card about two weeks ago. I wonder whether I can talk my way into the 16k for the first stay.

I wonder what people would think about a mattress run just to get the 8k? I can get a room at a nearby econolodge for $40 ai. With the quadruple points and 8,000 bonus, it looks like nearly 9k points for $40, which seems pretty good to me. Any dissent?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Darn -- I just applied for this card about two weeks ago. I wonder whether I can talk my way into the 16k for the first stay.

I wonder what people would think about a mattress run just to get the 8k? I can get a room at a nearby econolodge for $40 ai. With the quadruple points and 8,000 bonus, it looks like nearly 9k points for $40, which seems pretty good to me. Any dissent?
It depends - if you think you will be staying at a Choice hotel in the future, I wouldn't bother as you will receive the bonus then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.