Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CTrip tickets and travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dsquared37
For an upcoming trip I've been keeping tabs on several flights using Ctrip. They do have the best prices I can find so far, however since when does a fare of 280 RMB + 50 RMB (in taxes and fees) equate to a total price of 350 RMB?

This extra charge is present to some degree on each city pair I've been looking at. Why and what is it for?
What's the route? TMK, the current domestic airport tax is y50 and fuel surcharges range between 0? and y50. The total is y100 in most cases.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by moondog
What's the route? TMK, the current domestic airport tax is y50 and fuel surcharges range between 0? and y50. The total is y100 in most cases.
The route I cited above was XIY-CTU. There was an extra 20 RMB that I could not find an accounting for.

It's $3US and I'm not troubled by an additional fee, especially as the fares are significantly cheaper than full Y, but I'd sure like to know what it is.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:43 pm

The route I cited above was XIY-CTU. There was an extra 20 RMB that I could not find an accounting for.

It's $3US and I'm not troubled by an additional fee, especially as the fares are significantly cheaper than full Y, but I'd sure like to know what it is.
¥50 is for the People's Republic of China Airport Fee (fixed)
¥20 is the YQ or YR surcharge charged by the airlines (same for MU, CZ, etc) on this route.

ctrip shows both charges (50/20)
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:57 pm

07:55 咸阳机场
09:05 双流国际机场
东方航空
MU2341
319 50/20
8.0折/H
退改签
¥500经济舱
查看所有价格
Here is a XIY-CTU flight I just pulled from ctrip.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sniles
¥50 is for the People's Republic of China Airport Fee (fixed)
¥20 is the YQ or YR surcharge charged by the airlines (same for MU, CZ, etc) on this route.

ctrip shows both charges (50/20)
On the 'select flight' page it shows ¥280 + ¥70.

On the 'book flight' page there is a line stating:
'total per person (all taxes and fees included): ¥350 (airfare:¥280/ taxes and fees:¥50)'.

It is this latter info that drew my inspection. If the extra ¥20 is YQ so be it, but I'm still not finding where that is stated.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:13 pm

It is this latter info that drew my inspection. If the extra ¥20 is YQ so be it, but I'm still not finding where that is stated.
Did you notice my last post, in which I bolded the "20"?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:36 pm

its been said before, use the Chinese ctrip (of course, given you read CN, but even if you don't, its pretty straight forward). prices are better and interface is more detailed (splitting tax and YQ surcharges).

eg.
Chinese Ctrip: MU2341 10/03/31 210 RMB + 50 + 20
English Ctrip: MU2341 10/03/31 440 RMB + 70
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you notice my last post, in which I bolded the "20"?
Sure did, after I submitted mine.

Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sniles
its been said before, use the Chinese ctrip (of course, given you read CN...).
Thai & Lao no problem. Khmer a little. I don't have plans for CN (just yet).

Again, thanks for bringing info to light.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum, HH Diamond

Did Expedia mail you any receipts (or actual tickets) yet? If you get paper tickets, then you should be in pretty good shape (since I'm presuming you booked full Y, they are basically cash). For etickets, I'm guessing that Expedia outsources to a local agent. Chances are, communicating with this local agent would get you much further than calling Expedia. I hope your flights go smoothly.
Expedia issued e-tickets and the credit card charges were from the airline that we're flying on (Air China, China Eastern)...

ctrip also issued e-tickets, but charged the credit card appears to what appears be a local agent (HUACHENG XINAN) - not sure who they are...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by ckjmglee
ctrip also issued e-tickets, but charged the credit card appears to what appears be a local agent (HUACHENG XINAN) - not sure who they are...
Huacheng is a travel agency based in Shanghai. Ctrip acquired Huacheng back in 2003.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tauphi
Huacheng is a travel agency based in Shanghai. Ctrip acquired Huacheng back in 2003.
Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:36 pm

I tried to buy a ticket on MU's website this morning because their fare was y40 less than ctrip's (small potatoes, I know; but, I my goal was to score the lowest possible fare).

Though I have a Chinese bank card that would have gotten the job done, I was intent upon using my Schwab card in order to bill my client in transparent manner.

After a bit of back and forth with MU's phone people, I learned that the cheaper fare was ONLY available via flychinaeastern.com.cn (i.e. no workarounds), but that I could buy the more expensive fare from them without paying the CC surcharge.

Slightly off topic (i.e. this belongs in the "dual pricing" thread, which I'm too lazy to find), I walked into a TA yesterday with a friend who is flying SHA-TAO tomorrow and the agent told him that there was a y300 fare available only for PRC nationals, but y480 was the price for the rest of us (same as ctrip). Since the guy was born in China (and now holds US passport), I encouraged him to roll with the cheaper ticket, but he chickened out.

In any event, he'll be one of the first passengers to try out T2 tomorrow morning.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:08 am

Slightly off topic (i.e. this belongs in the "dual pricing" thread, which I'm too lazy to find), I walked into a TA yesterday with a friend who is flying SHA-TAO tomorrow and the agent told him that there was a y300 fare available only for PRC nationals, but y480 was the price for the rest of us (same as ctrip). Since the guy was born in China (and now holds US passport), I encouraged him to roll with the cheaper ticket, but he chickened out.
Unless he still has a Chinese identity card or passport, he'd probably be knocked back at check-in with such a ticket.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
Unless he still has a Chinese identity card or passport, he'd probably be knocked back at check-in with such a ticket.
Circa ~1997, pricing schemes that favored PRC nationals were abolished tmk. This was the first instance I've seen of such during the past decade+. Were I to purchase a ticket of this nature, you can bet that I'd try my best to get it honored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.