Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
Originally Posted by jiejie
Go to the Chinese Embassy (Philippines) website here and under V. Transit Visa (G) there are 3 subpoints. After that in italics are the critical language you need. Try printing this out and taking with you, with enough context to show it is directly from the Chinese Embassy. The problem is that the language here doesn't mention the 48 hours at all, only 24 hours--so if your layover is over 24 hours, they still might balk. You can try a Timatic printout, which would show the 48 hours for US passport holders. Go early to the airport in case you get into an extended discussion with Cebu. Not sure if contacting them in advance of flight date and trying to get a supervisor will help. Good luck!
Thanks, I'll report back on the results.

I did plan to carry the printout from the Chinese Embassy with me. The relevant language is actually under "Rules on Visa Exemption" at the end, #4:

Visas are not required of citizens of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours: ...United States...
If it's tough getting an AA supervisor in the US to clear this, imagine trying to persuade Cebu staff in Manila.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nycflyer
If it's tough getting an AA supervisor in the US to clear this, imagine trying to persuade Cebu staff in Manila.
I can't imagine it would be very difficult. Remember, if they don't let you board, then you have a case against them (IDB). This is serious business for airlines.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:25 am

Um, if the case were against a US airline in US small claims court, I might consider pursuing (as a US resident) were I to be IDB'd.

Against the largest Philippine airline (which does not fly to the US), in a Philippine court of law...not worth the time and expense. Someone else living in Asia would have to fight the good fight.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:45 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Um, if the case were against a US airline in US small claims court, I might consider pursuing (as a US resident) were I to be IDB'd.
MNL-PVG-USA

Even if it was a US carrier, I don't believe the DOT rules apply to international inbound US flights.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:54 am

Against the largest Philippine airline (which does not fly to the US), in a Philippine court of law...not worth the time and expense. Someone else living in Asia would have to fight the good fight.
Ok, forget my notion about filing claims; my point still stands, they will not deprive you of your right to transit as long as you are prepared to escalate the issue until you reach someone who has a clue.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:20 am

MNL-PVG-USA

Ok...so the report back.

Due to traffic, I arrived late for check-in with Cebu Pacific. The staff offered to rebook me on the next evening's flight, I declined as I would have had only 6 daylight hours to see Shanghai. I decided to use my backup reservation on CX/KA: MNL-HKG-PVG, which allowed 12hrs+ to see the city.

At the CX desk in MNL I consumed an hour's worth of the assistant manager and manager's time as they discussed whether to allow me to board. Apparently another US citizen tried to enter PVG visa-free on CX from MNL last month, was refused entry, and CX was fined. The very nice manager relented after messaging his Shanghai and HK colleagues and I pointed out they could still offload me in HKG. At the Dragonair gate in HKG they said, no problem, off you go. At PVG, China Immigration took about 10mins to verify my onward flight. The immigration officer smiled at my broken Chinese, and stamped my passport with a 1-day stay permit.

I can understand the airlines' perspective: 1, they may not be able to independently verify your onward ticket and 2, a specific definition of onwards qualifies, as 168 and thqu60's unfortunate experiences show. This program just converts the hassle of getting a visa into the hassle of convincing the airline to allow you to board.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:31 am

Programs: various
<snip>
This program just converts the hassle of getting a visa into the hassle of convincing the airline to allow you to board.
Thanks for the report back. You did manage to do it. This is one of those situations where flying the Chinese carriers may actually be less hassle than anything else, as they seem to be up to speed and comfortable with TWOV (Transit Without Visa) than non-Chinese carriers. Which makes sense, as the Chinese carriers are the primary beneficiaries of TWOV.

I strongly recommend to any US citizen who is a reasonably frequent TPAC flyer to consider getting a 12-month multiple entry Chinese visa if you can afford it or your business is willing to pay for it, even if China is not a normal destination for you. A tourist L visa will do and that doesn't take an invite letter. This will then allow you worry-free, maximum flexibility of routings and worry-free boarding even on transit-only itineraries.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:23 am

Question Staying in a hotel outside of Shanghai when using 48hr visa free transit stamp?

Does anyone have experience staying in a hotel outside Shanghai while using the 48 hr visa free transit rule? I'm flying to Sydney from London with less than 48 hours transit through Shanghai Pudong and wanted to make a quick trip to Suzhou which is about 2 hrs away on bus and 30 min by high speed train. It would be easier with my itinerary to stay the night in Suzhou and come back to Shanghai to catch the plane but wanted to make sure a hotel outside Shanghai would accept us. Thanks!
Old May 12, 2011, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Firestarryl
Does anyone have experience staying in a hotel outside Shanghai while using the 48 hr visa free transit rule? I'm flying to Sydney from London with less than 48 hours transit through Shanghai Pudong and wanted to make a quick trip to Suzhou which is about 2 hrs away on bus and 30 min by high speed train. It would be easier with my itinerary to stay the night in Suzhou and come back to Shanghai to catch the plane but wanted to make sure a hotel outside Shanghai would accept us. Thanks!
You don't mention your passport, but let's assume you have confirmed that yours is on the list of those allowed 48 hours instead of 24 at Shanghai. (i.e. Australia passport OK, but UK is not.)

On the hotel-in-a-different city: This is an aspect of visa-free transit that I have frankly, not seen any concrete data points on, either on FT or elsewhere, nor anecdotal evidence one way or another. At this point, we just don't know enough to give you solid advice. You could try asking the manager of the Suzhou hotel you have in mind, though even a positive response in advance does not guarantee you'll be accepted when you actually show your face. If the worst case happens, and you are rebuffed in Suzhou and have to backtrack to a Shanghai hotel....would that be a tragedy? If so, I'd do the "safe" thing and book a Shanghai hotel, just book something near the relevant train station. I'd use bullet (not bus) on this route. However, if you are in a position to take the gamble and will get into Suzhou early enough to have a workable Plan B, then give it a try. My feeling is that the hotel managers left to their own devices, are happy to take your money on whatever passport stamp you show, but they are required to register your stay with the local Public Security Bureau, and we don't know what Suzhou PSB policy is on visa-less transit stamp registerees.

Last edited by jiejie; May 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm
Old May 12, 2011, 9:11 pm

[QUOTE=Firestarryl;16372652] would be easier with my itinerary to stay the night in Suzhou and come back to Shanghai to catch the plane but wanted to make sure a hotel outside Shanghai would accept us. QUOTE]

Plan C:

China has a long history of massage, saunas, and therapeutic parlors—all legitimate, non-sleazy establishments at the high end of the market. With rates varying from RMB300–500 a stay, including the use of the facilities, these may be the only viable alternative if you get into trouble with finding accommodation in China. Every Chinese city has many of these, and they do not require a passport or PSB registrations to check in (sleeping over the night is legally classified as a “rest” rather than a “stay”).
Old May 13, 2011, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Every Chinese city has many of these, and they do not require a passport or PSB registrations to check in (sleeping over the night is legally classified as a “rest” rather than a “stay”).
Au contraire, mon frère. I still do the spa thing on occasion, and most of the reputable ones specifically ask if I'll be staying overnight (i.e. the price is the same, but they want a passport). That having been said, I think the risk of Firestarryl being denied a room in Suzhou are incredibly small. For starters, while I'm too lazy to dig up the relevant info, I'm pretty sure that the TWOV regs don't say a thing about where one can or cannot sleep for the night. More importantly, I can't imagine that any hotel people would bat an eye over the shape of the passport stamp.

Sure, it's not a sure thing, but there isn't much to lose here in the (very) unlikely event that Firestarryl strikes out.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:23 am

Govt enforcing passport for spa stay over

Could depend on where you are staying and what's going on
there.

i.e.: Beijing - Olympics, civil unrest
Shanghai - Expo
South China - Asian games

Don't think there is much of anything ever going on in Suzhou.
Old May 18, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Lax-pvg-mnl-pvg-lax

In Shanghai now. Arrived on a single entry visa on AA from the US. Flying back to the US on AA as well.

I’d like to go to Manila for a couple of days. Found a CEBU direct flight. Thinking about buying a CEBU return ticket PVG-MNL-PVG. On the way back to Shanghai I would only spend 24 hours in the city before taking my AA return flight.

What do you guys think, should I be fine with this?

Thanks a lot!

G
Old May 18, 2011, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Gracos
In Shanghai now. Arrived on a single entry visa on AA from the US. Flying back to the US on AA as well.

I’d like to go to Manila for a couple of days. Found a CEBU direct flight. Thinking about buying a CEBU return ticket PVG-MNL-PVG. On the way back to Shanghai I would only spend 24 hours in the city before taking my AA return flight.

What do you guys think, should I be fine with this?

Thanks a lot!

G
Yes, it is legal to do this if you've got that connection in PVG between the two tickets planned correctly, which it sounds like you do. The only question is what will Cebu do when you check in for the return flight in Manila. If they are knowledgeable, they should be OK when you show them your AA return ticket to the USA. Print out and take some documentation in case you encounter a balky check-in agent.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:42 am
Suspended

China transit visa?! help!

Im so confused about this.
US citizen arriving in beijing next week.
in town for 19 hours while breaking journey from Frankfurt to Tokyo in Beijing.
Do I NEED a visa? I heard US citizens get a free transit visa as I am literally in transit but just leaving the airport to sleep overnight.

Can anyone help me? I call the chinese embassy here and no one answers and the website is mighty ambiguous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.