China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:32 am

What a bunch of retards in japan..

I wished China would install an official "complaint" site similar to the DOT, and handing out massive penalties DOT-style to those airlines that apparently have staff which can't understand some clearly written information. DL and JL would probably face quite some fines then

Going to use TWOV for a short stay in PEK. Arriving from VIE, departing to ZRH, now THAT'S a transit I expect some questions (in VIE, or at my original departure airport) for sure too
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
that's not pleasant!

just out of interest, did they tell you what their main concern was? the counting of 72 hours? or you onward destination?
72 hours. I had a FULL four-page TIMATIC printout and they all spoke English at the counter.

At one point I was about ready to buy a ticket on Air China because JL would leave me stranded.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by saaveraward
At one point I was about ready to buy a ticket on Air China because JL would leave me stranded.
My recent experience with CA shows their agents/contractors at outstations know the TWOV rule albeit the part on starting at 00:01 the following day for PEK can be a bit tricky.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bodory
My recent experience with CA shows their agents/contractors at outstations know the TWOV rule albeit the part on starting at 00:01 the following day for PEK can be a bit tricky.
Secondary markets in Japan are a bit of a special case because very few people on those flights need visas, and those that do tend to have visas. I've flown hij-dlc a few times. Check-in is managed by jl iirc, and I've never seen any other non - Chinese/Japanese people on that flight.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:49 am

Got: Printout from TWOV rules (from *A website) including the page where you choose nationalities etc. beforehand for my upcoming trip. Anything else that makes sense to prepare in advance to make the agents "believe" you? I've done TWOV a few times before, but since then have a new passport, so no "proof" as in Chinese stamps without a Visa..
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Just did TWOV this past Saturday..I called Dragonair in advance and let them know I was planning on using TWOV for my trip to PVG. I was traveling with Dragonair HKG-PVG. The phone agent took my onward Travel Information (Carrier, Flight Number, Date, E Ticket Number ) and noted my record. On check in at HKG and Boading no one asked a thing.. Worked like a charm. On arrival, Customs Officer in PVG asked for my E Ticket for onward Travel Information ( he stamped the back of my arrival card and asked me to complete the following: Mobile Number, Address in Shanghai, Date, Carrier, Flight Number of Onward Flight in that stamped area) once filled in, I was on my way a few moments later. I even asked if they can stamp on a certain page as I am running out of room A very painless process all in all.. Thanks to everyone whom helped providing information in this thread. Safe Travels to all..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Apr 29, 2015 at 5:36 am
Old May 1, 2015, 2:03 am

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has experience with TWOV regarding check in for Lufthansa flights in Germany. I will be flying DUS-FRA-PVG on LH ticket and PVG-MEL on a different CA ticket 11 hours after arrival in PVG.

Made aware of the TWOV problems that might occur when traveling on two tickets, I rang up LH yesterday and it was a very annoying experience. No one at LH seems to know the rules and they insisted that I need to obtain a proper visa or would otherwise be denied boarding in DUS. After explaining that I spoke to the embassy and that I do have confirmed tickets for the onward flight there was a lot of talking to the supervisor and as a result they agreed that it should be ok. I asked if they could either put a note into my booking or send me an email confirmation but they refused and instead told me to go to the airport beforehand with all travel documents to get it sorted. I don't see the point in doing an extra trip to the airport for something that is obviously within the rules of TWOV but am afraid that I have to go through the whole process of explaining and being threatened with denial of boarding again on the flight day.

Any suggestions apart from printing the Timatic text?
Thanks
Old May 1, 2015, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by nz09
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has experience with TWOV regarding check in for Lufthansa flights in Germany. I will be flying DUS-FRA-PVG on LH ticket and PVG-MEL on a different CA ticket 11 hours after arrival in PVG.

Made aware of the TWOV problems that might occur when traveling on two tickets, I rang up LH yesterday and it was a very annoying experience. No one at LH seems to know the rules and they insisted that I need to obtain a proper visa or would otherwise be denied boarding in DUS. After explaining that I spoke to the embassy and that I do have confirmed tickets for the onward flight there was a lot of talking to the supervisor and as a result they agreed that it should be ok. I asked if they could either put a note into my booking or send me an email confirmation but they refused and instead told me to go to the airport beforehand with all travel documents to get it sorted. I don't see the point in doing an extra trip to the airport for something that is obviously within the rules of TWOV but am afraid that I have to go through the whole process of explaining and being threatened with denial of boarding again on the flight day.

Any suggestions apart from printing the Timatic text?
Thanks
Don't worry!

Reservations agents aren't the ones checking you in at the airport.

Check-in staff will be across the rules, and you won't have any problems.

A friend of mine flew earlier this year LHR-FRA-PVG-MEL (LH/LH/CA) and check-in was perfectly smooth as was the subsequent document check prior to boarding in FRA.

The only issue my friend had was that LH wouldn't through check bags connecting to CA in PVG. No one really seemed to know why.

While this was fine, the CA check in only opened three hours prior for the MEL flight (or so they claimed on the day), so my friend had a long wait land-side at PVG.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Don't worry!

Reservations agents aren't the ones checking you in at the airport.

Check-in staff will be across the rules, and you won't have any problems.

A friend of mine flew earlier this year LHR-FRA-PVG-MEL (LH/LH/CA) and check-in was perfectly smooth as was the subsequent document check prior to boarding in FRA.

The only issue my friend had was that LH wouldn't through check bags connecting to CA in PVG. No one really seemed to know why.

While this was fine, the CA check in only opened three hours prior for the MEL flight (or so they claimed on the day), so my friend had a long wait land-side at PVG.
Thanks,
It seems I will be facing the same problem with not checking my bags through to MEL, especially with the two tickets. Was hoping for a quick dash into the city but now seems that it is going to be a long wait in the lounge if check-in is only available 3 hours before flight

Air China representative told me that even if I was flying FRA-PVG-MEL on one CA ticket I would still need to collect my bags in PVG as this was PVG specific. Seems to be a weird rule if it is true.
Old May 1, 2015, 4:11 am

PVG does have an inexpensive luggage storage facility landside (next to the Burgerking). i would suggest to use it.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
PVG does have an inexpensive luggage storage facility landside (next to the Burgerking). i would suggest to use it.
Thanks,
That sounds like a good option assuming that it is a safe storage.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by nz09
Thanks,
That sounds like a good option assuming that it is a safe storage.
Of course it's safe.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Anyone have any issues with OZ @ LAX denying boarding?
Old May 3, 2015, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
Anyone have any issues with OZ @ LAX denying boarding?
none that I can recall having been reported here on FT (or elsewhere).
Old May 4, 2015, 7:14 am

No problem with TWOV (in PEK) - also in VIE Austrian staff knew exactly what I was talking about. As it was on one ticket, no further checks needed.

In PEK, TWOV special counter wasn't occupied, the most righthand counter was handling TWOV. Russian couple in front of me, which wasn't prepared and apparently on separate tickets took a few minutes to be checked, but no problems with them in the end. I showed my booking, and was through within 30 seconds. I had a hotel booking, but didn't had to show any proof.

All in all, a great weekend stay in PEK under marvellous weather. 25C at day, 15C at night, blue sky and absolutely no smog. The air felt as clean as anywhere in the Swiss mountains, I barely could believe it. Also, no scam attempts, instead was invited for drinks (and smokes ) by many friendly Chinese chaps. I know I must have been very lucky, but this weekend really let a great taste ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.