Search

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016 | 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
how well versed the CX agents are in HKG?
Experience seems to match that of just about every other airline and outstation:

Some staff are good, some will be confused, all will (eventually) follow the rules - but you may need to help the staff find them; leave a little time to ensure it's all sorted out.
Old Jan 24, 2016 | 12:25 pm
15 Years on Site

I know that I should be OK with HKG-CAN-BKK on CX and UL on separate tix, but for practicalities of boarding in HKG - how well versed the CX agents are in HKG? If anyone, they should be the best prepared, but any experience would be nice to hear.
I can just second typical - don't arrive on the last minute (like you never should with anything but the most regular kind of flights.. plus you want to use the lounge, don't you? ) to give staff some time in case you've hit someone new on the job. Maybe a bit more time if you're on a transfer that is over 72hrs (and taking use of the "arrival day+72hrs rule")
Old Jan 24, 2016 | 12:30 pm
50 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by qpr
I didnt mean a Call Center. Sorry didnt make it clear.

I would call the airline at the airport direct.
In many cases, that's not possible. Those numbers are usually not published, not in the U.S. at least.
Old Jan 24, 2016 | 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited60 Nights3M15 Years on Site

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Thanks guys. I have a 3 hrs layover in HKG, so I guess that would be enough to sort it out - probably I'll go to their transit desk airside, hope their elite queue is short (I'm OWE) The CX desk does handle KA flights, doesn't it?

(I'm 69 hrs in transit)
Old Jan 24, 2016 | 12:38 pm
qpr

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
In many cases, that's not possible. Those numbers are usually not published, not in the U.S. at least.
I don't know if it works at Heathrow but in germany it does, at least at Frankfurt and Dsseldorf I know for sure.
Old Jan 24, 2016 | 1:18 pm
15 Years on Site

Thanks guys. I have a 3 hrs layover in HKG, so I guess that would be enough to sort it out - probably I'll go to their transit desk airside, hope their elite queue is short (I'm OWE) The CX desk does handle KA flights, doesn't it?

(I'm 69 hrs in transit)
Oh-Oh. That doesn't sound like a TOO easy situation, to be honest. Still very probably no problem but all, but slightly increased difficulty. I guess both typical and me assumed you were originating your travel in HKG. Well, if you land indeed 3 hours prior to departure, you should be fine. But..

So you'll be arriving into HKG on ticket 1, then continue to CAN on ticket 2, then from CAN to BKK on ticket 3, if I understood this right?

No luggage, from what I understand? Or hoping to check-through on different tickets and pick up your BP at transfer counter, or someone picking your luggage from the belt after you register at transfer counter and re-check it for you? (Not very familiar with HKG-transfer situation about what's possible.. in SIN, they can pick it up for you if you want to stay airside despite not having it checked-through)

If no luggage, airside transfer should be possible and easy enough.

With luggage, especially if you're unlucky and some waiting time/delay happens, your 3hrs reserve might melt away a bit. Still, if you're arriving on time, that's all fine - but have your flight arrive 1+ hour late, and you'll be running quite tight on time.. especially as you're going for a 69-hours transit in CAN. Which, unless you arrive like 1am there and depart 10pm, means you're staying 4 calendar days, right?

While this is totally legal with TWOV, there had been some reports that some staff had trouble understanding TIMATIC correctly. And while it usually can be sorted out (even mindless agents usually are smart enough to call a supervisor) that can take time.

So, all in all, you should be fine, but this is a transfer that I probably wouldn't suggest my grandmother to do..
Old Jan 24, 2016 | 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

(I'm 69 hrs in transit)
Who are you arriving in to HKG on? If it is CX or KA they will through check you at your point of origin and qualify you for TWOV before you even board the plane to HKG.
Old Jan 24, 2016 | 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited60 Nights3M15 Years on Site

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Who are you arriving in to HKG on? If it is CX or KA they will through check you at your point of origin and qualify you for TWOV before you even board the plane to HKG.
I'm on AY to HKG, so they MIGHT check me thru, even if it's two separate tix, as both are OW.
Old Jan 24, 2016 | 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm on AY to HKG, so they MIGHT check me thru, even if it's two separate tix, as both are OW.
should be fine, but have the UL ticket handy at check-in at HEL as evidence of your TWOV to China.
Old Jan 27, 2016 | 2:49 pm

Programs: SPG lifeplat, AAEXP, UA1K
New to the visa forums, but have a quick question regarding PEK transit visa. I am thinking of booking the following on AA:

DFW-PEK Arrive 3/21/16 at 2:55pm local time
PEK-DFW Depart 5:50pm local time

This is strictly a mileage run as I was able to apply SWUs. The question is, I do not plan to leave the airport with such a limited amount of time, so do I need a special visa? I am trying to avoid the tourist visa application process...so am hoping this is workaround.

My questions are:
1. Do I need a a real tourist visa for this instance? Or will a transit visa work?
2. If I do need something, is it a visa I can get when I arrive at PEK?

Thanks for the help, I started looking through the forum, but 100+ pages are a lot to get through.

Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2016 | 2:55 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
1. Yes - you would need a tourist visa - transit visa would not work since you are arriving from and departing to the same country.

2. No - you would need to get it prior to travel.
Old Jan 27, 2016 | 6:06 pm

This is not a transit so you do not qualify for a visa exemption. You'd be ok with a stop in a country other than the US either just before or just after China.
Old Jan 27, 2016 | 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haascc6

Thanks for the help, I started looking through the forum, but 100+ pages are a lot to get through.

Thanks!
you will need a full visa, or you will need to otherwise make your itinerary compliant.

The wiki at the top of this thread contains all the information you need, summarised.
Old Jan 27, 2016 | 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haascc6
New to the visa forums, but have a quick question regarding PEK transit visa. I am thinking of booking the following on AA:

DFW-PEK Arrive 3/21/16 at 2:55pm local time
PEK-DFW Depart 5:50pm local time

This is strictly a mileage run as I was able to apply SWUs. The question is, I do not plan to leave the airport with such a limited amount of time, so do I need a special visa? I am trying to avoid the tourist visa application process...so am hoping this is workaround.

My questions are:
1. Do I need a a real tourist visa for this instance? Or will a transit visa work?
2. If I do need something, is it a visa I can get when I arrive at PEK?

Thanks!
In addition to the fact that it's not a transit (transit is A -> China -> B) and not eligible for TWOV it's also not the safest connection.
Old Jan 27, 2016 | 11:24 pm
Original Poster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
In addition to the fact that it's not a transit (transit is A -> China -> B) and not eligible for TWOV it's also not the safest connection.
Same airplane "connections" are always safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.