Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated Peking Duck thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skillet
I hope you keep a defibrillator bedside. I ate Quanjude yesterday and that is enough for the next two years. I think eating three sticks of butter would be healthier.....
I'm not sure why you say that. Properly prepared Peking Duck (and Quanjude prepares it properly), has virtually all of the duck fat cooked out. You're eating crispy skin, along with a slightly sweet sauce and greens, wrapped in a thin pancake. That's not particularly unhealthy in the big scheme of things.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
One line of Chinese culinary wisdom passed down from great-grandfather and then grandfather who were quite a foodie:

Never start a conversation/discussion about who has and where is the best ........
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, AA, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood Gold
DaDong - Nanxincang

FWIW, based on jiejie's recommendation, we visited this branch on 10/3. Everything was great, seated immediately upstairs at a nice table, order taken promptly (after getting a waitress that spoke English), was given the required demonstration on how to eat after the carving show. Duck was excellent, definitely not fatty (would actually have liked a little more). Service good all around, enjoyed the complimentary desert as well. Total damage $39 US. Couldn't have been a better experience.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles
the $39 tab, for how many people is this?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
I do agree Made in China in Grand Hyatt is nice, but am I the only one here thinking it is expensive?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yuchung5
I do agree Made in China in Grand Hyatt is nice, but am I the only one here thinking it is expensive?
It's not cheap, and its duck prices are certainly in the top part of the spectrum, but I think it provides a reasonably good bang for the buck, especially when compared against other restaurants in 5-star hotels.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by pocahontas
the $39 tab, for how many people is this?
My guess is for 2 ppl. My wife & I went to DaDong in 08, and our tab was around 300rmb.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by moondog
It's not cheap, and its duck prices are certainly in the top part of the spectrum, but I think it provides a reasonably good bang for the buck, especially when compared against other restaurants in 5-star hotels.
Agree - It's expensive relative to a lot of restaurants in China not in top hotels. Service is excellent and if you don't speak Chinese or haven't figured out exactly how things work you're more likely to get a good experience than if you venture out--i.e., you're paying for "safety" of experience.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I'm debating between Made in China & Da Dong. How expensive is Made?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:25 am

http://www.bjywky.com/intro_en.asp
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by adamak
I'm debating between Made in China & Da Dong. How expensive is Made?
I remember made in China is about RMB250 per order for Peking Duck. Not a big order by the way.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Not just for duck, but all restaurants in China go to dianping.com
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yuchung5
I remember made in China is about RMB250 per order for Peking Duck. Not a big order by the way.
That seems to be about right; for around 900 two or three people can eat well there.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I've not been to Made in China, but for these relatively high end places, 'how expensive' really depends on what you order. E.g. if one orders abalone/ sea cucumber, expect the bill to be on a par with a top-end restaurant in the US (and more expensive than almost all US Chinese restaurants). However, with roast duck, and a few reasonably priced other dishes, one can eat extremely well for much less than a similar quality meal in the West, albeit it is expensive for China.

My wife, young daughter and I had a meal at Da Dong last month -- the waiter suggested we order a half duck, which was just right. We had 3 or 4 dishes in total and we left completely sated. I can't remember the exact bill, but it was about RMB350, which I felt to be terrific value. It would have been easy to order 3 or 4 dishes that came to RMB3.5k, if we were so inclined.

tb
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Peking Duck

If you had to choose one, would it be Liqun Roast Duck Restaurant, Quanjude, or Dadong? Are there any huge differences in the quality or price of these three spots??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.