Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated Peking Duck thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tentseller
NO

There duck use in China is a different breed that is not indigenous to North America.
Not according to Wikipedia, which is probably a valid resource...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pekin
Old May 8, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Not according to Wikipedia, which is probably a valid resource...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pekin
Any recent recommendations for Peking Duck (meat and skin, together or separate) in Hong Kong?

We will have time for 3 dinners there.
(Ah, that would be three different evenings, not one long caloric-overloaded evening...)

Thank you.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I've only had dim sum at Yan Toh Heen, but I heard that their Peking Duck is good. It's a 2 star Michelin located in the Intercontinental Hong Kong.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Here is why I relieved myself of the Ambassador role

Redacted

Last edited by moondog; May 9, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 8:08 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Moondog starts the china ambassadors, posts a twov thread with 348,000 views and then gets attacked. Some gratitude. LOL.
Well its the internet...gotta have thick skin.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:43 pm

back on the thread for a return trip to China!

Can anyone tell me if Da Dong Shanghai still serves 1/2 duck (if I go solo) and what is the closest location to the Bund? Google maps has me turned inside out.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Madone59
Throwing in my 2 cents: I think Da Dong was superior to Made in China. The duck and service were great!
Just got back from a trip where I at at both back to back, and had duck both times. I think the Da Dong duck is better. The presentation etc. is also superior, between the more robust condiments dish and the airy sesame buns that you can put duck in, to me it's the better choice (but Made in China is no slouch).
Madone59 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Just got back from a trip where I at at both back to back, and had duck both times. I think the Da Dong duck is better. The presentation etc. is also superior, between the more robust condiments dish and the airy sesame buns that you can put duck in, to me it's the better choice (but Made in China is no slouch).
And I thought I was decadent going to Da Dong and Made in China for duck only 3 days apart. Back to back beats that. I agree the Da Dong duck is better, but Made in China was excellent too.
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 466SHH
And I thought I was decadent going to Da Dong and Made in China for duck only 3 days apart. Back to back beats that. I agree the Da Dong duck is better, but Made in China was excellent too.
I think Made in China has better flavor, but I have been there w multiple difference Chinese who have said it's the best Beijing Duck for them too.

Also, very special at Made in China is the grilled giant Tiger Prawns the size of lobster tails. Terrific compliment to the duck.

I agree: back to back nights is best way to do it! Or, lunch then dinner.
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
Also, very special at Made in China is the grilled giant Tiger Prawns the size of lobster tails. Terrific compliment to the duck.
Will have to give them a try on the next visit.

FWIW, we had only three dinners on the trip (3 nights not just 2!) - no way I was going to give up one or the other of DD and MiC.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Only slightly tangential, but the new Da Dong in NYC received a very tepid review in the NYTimes today. I don't think this is behind a paywall:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/d...king-duck.html
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
Only slightly tangential, but the new Da Dong in NYC received a very tepid review in the NYTimes today. I don't think this is behind a paywall:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/d...king-duck.html
Tepid indeed. $98 for a duck cooked in a gas oven!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Beijing now, and my mouth is watering. We have reservations at Da Dong tomorrow night - 3rd Ring Road location. Newbie question, but as a rule what does one order beyond the duck. We are two of us, just order a duck, or do most people order something besides, appetizer? Just don't want to either walk away hungry or look stupid!

As an aside, I thought 1949 - the Hidden City had been mentioned here, but maybe I read about it somewhere else. In any case, overheard at breakfast is that it is "temporarily closed" with one story about a water problem that needs to be addressed and another that their 10 year lease is up and that the "area" is up for reconstruction. Don't know how true that is.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
In Beijing now, and my mouth is watering. We have reservations at Da Dong tomorrow night - 3rd Ring Road location. Newbie question, but as a rule what does one order beyond the duck. We are two of us, just order a duck, or do most people order something besides, appetizer? Just don't want to either walk away hungry or look stupid!

As an aside, I thought 1949 - the Hidden City had been mentioned here, but maybe I read about it somewhere else. In any case, overheard at breakfast is that it is "temporarily closed" with one story about a water problem that needs to be addressed and another that their 10 year lease is up and that the "area" is up for reconstruction. Don't know how true that is.
Just came from Da Dong Shanghai. Trust me, You can order a full duck alone and not feel foolish at all. After the duck came the soup. Then the sweet bean dessert. Then the fruit platter. You will not leave hungry!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Just came from Da Dong Shanghai. Trust me, You can order a full duck alone and not feel foolish at all. After the duck came the soup. Then the sweet bean dessert. Then the fruit platter. You will not leave hungry!
Thanks. "then the fruit platter" reminds me of the Chinese Banquet advise I received. "There will be many courses, you will eat forever and must sample each dish, then when you think you're finished the whole fish comes. When the watermelon appears you're actually finished. Then the drinking begins, avoid the Mautai."
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.