Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated Peking Duck thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by drewguy
I prefer to call it the Quan Ju Duck thread.
I prefer to avoid Quan Ju Duck...um, De. Years ago a good bet, now it seems a bunch of quacks roasting birds in the kitchen!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:29 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
The beginning of the end.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/bronson_pics/63765699/
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:21 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I'm staying at the Hilton Wangfujing...
Within walking distance it appears that I can get to a Dadong, Si Ki Min Fu and Made in China... It'll only be me eating duck, so probably just half a duck.. any thoughts?

FDW
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Within walking distance it appears that I can get to a Dadong, Si Ki Min Fu and Made in China... It'll only be me eating duck, so probably just half a duck.. any thoughts?

FDW
Dadong hands down. It has a great atmosphere and the duck is very yummy. First Come First Serve before 8:00 PM I think and it gets really busy so expect to wait a bit although being a solo diner is to your advantage as the smaller tables are usually available.

Made in China is quite nice but the duck is not that amazing. Still worth a try if you are staying a couple of nights in the area.

Quanjude is also close by and the experience is more 'authentic' and entertaining but I didn't like the duck that much.

When are you staying in PEK? I have a few nights coming up and intend to go to Dadong with the SO as well.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

FDW
Depends on how much you want other dishes. Ducks aren't huge, and if you're hungry and eat well, you might be able to handle a whole duck.

Haven't had duck at Si ji min fu, but like the restaurant. I'd go Da Dong over Made in China.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:56 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by payam81
Dadong hands down. It has a great atmosphere and the duck is very yummy. First Come First Serve before 8:00 PM I think and it gets really busy so expect to wait a bit although being a solo diner is to your advantage as the smaller tables are usually available.

Made in China is quite nice but the duck is not that amazing. Still worth a try if you are staying a couple of nights in the area.

Quanjude is also close by and the experience is more 'authentic' and entertaining but I didn't like the duck that much.

When are you staying in PEK? I have a few nights coming up and intend to go to Dadong with the SO as well.
Thanks for all the info.. I think I'll go Dadong...

We actually don't go till May.

FDW
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I much prefer the Made in China duck to Da Dong's -- but I don't think that half a duck is available (but I may be wrong). Of course, all this is rather subjective. I do find the waits at Da Dong rather irritating, and the staff attitude is a pain (but better when the reservation is booked under official business).

Having said that, Da Dong is very good indeed, and for a 'one off', many good ducks will be excellent. I haven't had the duck at "Chynna" in the Hilton, but I have eaten there, and the food is very good, so to be honest, their duck is probably rather good too.

tb
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trueblu
I much prefer the Made in China duck to Da Dong's
I'm with you, TB! Regardless of whether the duck is better at either, Made in China simply provides a superior overall experience.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm with you, TB! Regardless of whether the duck is better at either, Made in China simply provides a superior overall experience.
I am wondering if there are recommended places close to Doubletree Beijing (for duck or otherwise). Actually going to be in town for a week so any recommendations are appreciated - will plan on checking out Made in China the day we head over to the Forbidden City and T Square. Should we also go to Da Dong one day for the duck or just get it while we are at Made in China?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:56 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Rookie3
I am wondering if there are recommended places close to Doubletree Beijing (for duck or otherwise). Actually going to be in town for a week so any recommendations are appreciated - will plan on checking out Made in China the day we head over to the Forbidden City and T Square. Should we also go to Da Dong one day for the duck or just get it while we are at Made in China?
You can have a non-duck dinner at Da Dong -- I really like their non-duck stuff, and some of it is even reasonably priced! Not sure about near the Doubletree, but if there is a Quanjude nearby (not sure there is), I really like the Quanjude duck (but not much else of their menu).

I have to say, went to Made in China end of September with friends visiting from out of town, and it wasn't up to the usual standard, and prices were still creeping up. The service was worse aswell. The Opposite House has opened a new duck place, Jing Yaa Tang. We popped in randomly a few weeks ago, and couldn't be bothered to wait for the duck, but sampled some of the menu, and tbh, it was pretty good, and the prices were on a par with these other places. The zhajiangmian in particular was excellent, if a little pricey.

tb

tb
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Should we also go to Da Dong one day for the duck or just get it while we are at Made in China?
This is the Peking Duck thread. The answer is "have duck at both"!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
This is the Peking Duck thread. The answer is "have duck at both"!
I agree 100%... primarily for getting to experience to enjoy two ducks, and secondarily for being able to offer a "comparison post" in this thread (we all appreciate these even though we realize that duck preferences are a highly subjective matter).

Rookie: There isn't much of anything worth seeing in the remote vicinity of the Doubletree. If I were you, I'd save the points and pay cash to stay at a lesser hotel in a better location.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:22 pm

I agree 100%... primarily for getting to experience to enjoy two ducks, and secondarily for being able to offer a "comparison post" in this thread (we all appreciate these even though we realize that duck preferences are a highly subjective matter).

Rookie: There isn't much of anything worth seeing in the remote vicinity of the Doubletree. If I were you, I'd save the points and pay cash to stay at a lesser hotel in a better location.
Duck at both sounds good to me. I'll post back once I try it.

Yeah the 10K deal is too good for us to pass up with multiple rooms and not seeming like it is way too far away. Since we are moving around so much (xi'an day trip by air, great wall, forbidden city/t square and two days of resting/shopping or maybe checking out another site) and we decided it would be better to have one base instead of changing hotels all the time, I figured this was the best choice given the price. Am I totally off base?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Duck at both sounds good to me. I'll post back once I try it.

Yeah the 10K deal is too good for us to pass up with multiple rooms and not seeming like it is way too far away. Since we are moving around so much (xi'an day trip by air, great wall, forbidden city/t square and two days of resting/shopping or maybe checking out another site) and we decided it would be better to have one base instead of changing hotels all the time, I figured this was the best choice given the price. Am I totally off base?
What?! It appears that your itinerary could benefit from a bit of optimization.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:22 pm

What?! It appears that your itinerary could benefit from a bit of optimization.
Unfortunately I can not post a comparison as my travel companions did not enjoy their time at Made in China (even preferred the airport buffet at Xi'an to it) so we skipped going out to dinner the last night. As for the day plane trip, it is definitely doable - we had 10 hours on the ground by taking an early morning flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.