Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're doing TWOV compliant trips to China, you could view the old visa in the old passport as something to carry in case you ever have an argument with airline staff about doing TWOV.
Apart from simple connections (which I advise against in China), I am hard pressed to envision any scenarios in which people with visas wouldn't want to --at least attempt to-- use them for entry/exit.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Honors Gold
Just adding a data point on obtaining a tourist L visa (10 year, 60 day entry). I went in person to the SF consulate on Friday the 11th, arriving at around 7:45am, when security let me in around 9:05am, I got ticket 17. Had all of my papers/copies/itinerary in order, so was relatively quick (spent less than 5 mins at the window). The only thing that threw me, was the person working the window asked me to write a sentence about what exactly I do. Wasn't on the list of things to bring, but I brought a 'self generated' employer letter stating where I worked and she took that letter and asked if I had a similar letter for my GF too, which I did and gave her (I also applied for a visa for her too, since I wasn't about to stand in line again, when she actually travels with me next). Note neither me or the GF work in the media business so who knows. I left the consulate around 10:15am at which point the line was huge). I went to pick up the visa yesterday the 17th, the day it was set to be ready (consulate was closed on the 14th). I arrived at 1:55pm and was able to pick up the visas and leave around 2:05pm. Overall relatively painless if you come prepared, for better or worse its like a DMV experience.

And like Pogaf, my visa didn't have my photo.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What's the right application form if your goal is a 10 year? I only see an option for a 1 year multiple entry.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
What's the right application form if your goal is a 10 year? I only see an option for a 1 year multiple entry.
http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/lsz...1570742708.pdf seems to be the most recent version, though I admittedly only spent 20 seconds searching (so I could have missed something newer).

What version are you looking at? The "other" option has appeared on all PRC visa application forms I've seen for the past ~15 years.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/lsz...1570742708.pdf seems to be the most recent version, though I admittedly only spent 20 seconds searching (so I could have missed something newer).

What version are you looking at? The "other" option has appeared on all PRC visa application forms I've seen for the past ~15 years.
So do I just check that box and write "10 year multi-entry"?

I'll admit I didn't read much of this thread.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
So do I just check that box and write "10 year multi-entry"?

I'll admit I didn't read much of this thread.
1. Yes

2. In spite of the large number of posts, this thread is pretty straight forward, unlike its sister thread (TWOV)
Hoyaheel and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Do you know this for a fact, or is it just your interpretation of what is on the consular website?
I know people who were told they had no choice but to use their US passport when they tried to get a visa on their non-US passport from a US consulate.

They also report that this was not the case prior to 2008, but it became much stricter then.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:40 am

This is not always the case. If the visa doesn't contain the language "enter before [DATE]", you need to leave China on/before the expiration date.
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

My visa says "Enter before 09NOV2019", and gives 30 days.

I don't plan on staying anywhere close to 30 days, but I would like to enter on the morning of 9 November. I am finding conflicting answers at various websites about whether "Enter before 09NOV2019" means "Enter on 8 Nov 2019 or earlier" (that is what I would have thought "enter before" means), or "Enter on 9 Nov 2019 or earlier".

I could fly to Hong Kong, and try to cross into Shenzhen, on that day - if my visa is not valid on that day, I would then apply for one of these port visas at Lo Wu (or can you get them when taking the HK airport ferry to Shekou, or at the high-speed rail station at West Kowloon?). That would be somewhat limiting, because I would have to stay in Shenzhen, and I would like the option to visit Guangzhou. It would also be nice to have the option to fly into Shenzhen or Guangzhou instead of Hong Kong if the flights work out better. But it wouldn't ruin the trip if I have to get a port visa and stay in Shenzhen, assuming you can do this on a Saturday.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:20 pm

1. Yes

2. In spite of the large number of posts, this thread is pretty straight forward, unlike its sister thread (TWOV)
This version does have the 10-year-multiple -entries option (see item 2.2). I downloaded it from the Los Angeles Chinese Consulate website, and submitted it in San Francisco with no problem.

http://losangeles.chineseconsulate.o...0381274902.pdf

Tip: don't pick up your visa during lunch hour, which adds 45 min to what should be a short process.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:33 am

I can say from personal experience it means enter before midnight, 9NOV2109.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by 889
I can say from personal experience it means enter before midnight, 9NOV2109.
Before 11:59pm on 9Nov or before 12:01am on 9Nov?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:04 am

So far as my experience as a native English speaker goes, "midnight, November 9" always means the very last minute of November 9. Always.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by 889
So far as my experience as a native English speaker goes, "midnight, November 9" always means the very last minute of November 9. Always.
So mid-day on 9 November is OK then?

In that case, I think I'm going. One last use out of the old visa
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I have a Q2 visa, but going through Xi'an this morning I was seriously hassled about some Turkish tourist stamps from 2016.
I've been minorly hassled about this when entering (by foot, from Macau to Zhuhai). When I said, I left the airport and spent one day in Istanbul, while enroute to somewhere else, they seemed satisfied with that. (Possibly relevant - do not speak more than a few dozen words of mandarin, as white as they come.)

I think it might be the only time (out of several dozen, probably less than one hundred) entries when mainland immigration has ever asked me a question. That includes quite a few entries when I would have had the same Turkish entry stamp in the passport. Many of these entries would have been from Hong Kong to Shenzen, by foot or by ferry, but there have certainly been a few dozen air entries as well.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by 889
This is not my experience (an American English native speaker). For example, "insurance coverage begins at midnight, November 9th" I would interpret to mean the very first minute of November 9th.

Here's what the U.S. civil time authority has to say:

Is midnight the end of a day or the beginning of a day?

When someone refers to "midnight tonight" or "midnight last night" the reference of time is obvious. However, if a date/time is referred to as "at midnight on Friday, October 20th" the intention could be either midnight the beginning of the day or midnight at the end of the day.

To avoid ambiguity, specification of an event as occurring on a particular day at 11:59 p.m. or 12:01 a.m. is a good idea, especially legal documents such as contracts and insurance policies. Another option would be to use 24-hour clock, using the designation of 0000 to refer to midnight at the beginning of a given day (or date) and 2400 to designate the end of a given day (or date).
https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-fr...times-day-faqs

Anyway, I thought it was a legitimate question in this visa context -- thank you for clarifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.