Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Connecting / airport transit inside PEK Beijing Capital

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
Looking at a *A award with a 95-minute transfer that looks like it's all in Terminal 3. Sounds like this would be fine?

UA 888 SFO > PEK arrives 3:30 pm
1h 35m connection
TG 615 PEK > BKK takeoff 5:05 pm
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by HariOm
Looking at a *A award with a 95-minute transfer that looks like it's all in Terminal 3. Sounds like this would be fine?

UA 888 SFO > PEK arrives 3:30 pm
1h 35m connection
TG 615 PEK > BKK takeoff 5:05 pm
Connection doable if the incoming flight is on-time, risky if the flight is 30-40 minutes' late, will misconnect and need rebooking if the flight is 1 hour late. If you're all on one ticket, you'll be protected on another flight, but if there are no seats available, you'll be stuck for awhile. It would pay to know your backup options for rebooking so you can suggest your preference(s) if necessary.
HariOm likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Arrive at 2:00 PM on AA. No visa and we do have checked luggage. Connect to 6:00 PM KE flight. I am hoping I can get my KE boarding pass at the lounge in LAX, but I doubt AA will check my bags through on a separate KE ticket. What are the procedures? Pass through immigration (what if I don't yet my onward boarding pass?), collect bags, pass through customs, reenter terminal and head to KE check-in counter?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:10 pm

INternational flight into PEK on Air China. Connecting flight to Thailand on Thai Ai

Flying into PEK from Canada on Air China Connecting flight to Thailand on Thai Airways . Do I have to collect my checked luggage at PEK or does it go straight through to final Thailand destination

I have 1.5 hours at PEK to go through customs and board my flight to Thailand
is this enough time
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Departures
Flying into PEK from Canada on Air China Connecting flight to Thailand on Thai Airways . Do I have to collect my checked luggage at PEK or does it go straight through to final Thailand destination

I have 1.5 hours at PEK to go through customs and board my flight to Thailand
is this enough time
Assuming one ticket, your baggage will be checked through, you'll pass a quick passport check (not immigration) followed by (transfer) security. I've done a few 1.5hr int-int transfers in PEK. As long as your incoming flight is not delayed much, it's all easy and well. And long haul arrivals seldom are delayed.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:48 am

I've got an Air CHina flight from LHR to PEK coming up, and need to book another onward flight to Seoul (most likely on another carrier). As such, I think I would need to get a transit visa so I can collect my luggage, transfer terminals and then check in for the flight to Seoul (please correct me if I'm wrong).

As such, how much time should I leave between flights in order to make the transfer?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Foodnflights
I've got an Air CHina flight from LHR to PEK coming up, and need to book another onward flight to Seoul (most likely on another carrier). As such, I think I would need to get a transit visa so I can collect my luggage, transfer terminals and then check in for the flight to Seoul (please correct me if I'm wrong).

As such, how much time should I leave between flights in order to make the transfer?
I'm guessing you don't need a transit visa for this because you can presumably transit without a visa.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm guessing you don't need a transit visa for this because you can presumably transit without a visa.
I wasn't sure about this, as presumably I'd have to go through immigration first in order to pick up my bags before re-checki. My flights would be on 2 different itineraries on 2 different airlines, so presumably they wouldn't be checked through to Seoul
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Foodnflights
I wasn't sure about this, as presumably I'd have to go through immigration first in order to pick up my bags before re-checki. My flights would be on 2 different itineraries on 2 different airlines, so presumably they wouldn't be checked through to Seoul
You may well have to go through the luggage drill, but you almost certainly don't need a transit visa (very rare these days).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Incoming from BKK around 10PM, I am supposed to continue to MUC at 2AM.

My guess is that I'll have an INT to INT transfer / within T3.

Is my 4h connection time feasible?
I guess it's only security that I need to go through, correct?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:46 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
AA award on CX HKG-PEK arrive 3:25pm.
AA paid H PEK-LAX-XXX leaving 5:20pm

If I get this right, CX lands in T3, and AA departs T2.

1/ can I do the transfer without clearing immigration?
2/ will AA protect me if there's a delay on HKG-PEK, and perhaps put me on a nonstop HKG-LAX instead?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic

2/ will AA protect me if there's a delay on HKG-PEK, and perhaps put me on a nonstop HKG-LAX instead?
This seems extremely risky to me, and I am quite risk tolerant . HKG-PEK delays are frequent, if you are forced to go through immigration, plan on an hour to get from there to AA checkin in T2, and I would not count on AA protecting you because it's two separate tickets. Why not take an earlier flight to PEK? CZ might be better if the schedule works because they use T2.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 30, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by helvetic

I wouldn't even say extremely risky as moondog does, but close to impossible.

While there apparently is a airside T3<->T2 bus, it's hardly known even here on FT, with only very few reports existing.

Now, it's probably not impossible. On time arrival, somehow the transfer staff immediately gets you the bus, it drives over straight away, security in T2 is smooth (I assume you'd have to do it in T2) .. but for everything to work perfectly, you'd really have to cross your fingers.

More realistically, you'd miss your connection. And then the trouble begins. Without a Visa, you'll be in trouble. You've to stay airside BEFORE transfer security (in T3 - or who do I know in T2, if you somehow make the bus but then it's too late) and somehow book a valid ticket out of China. Because otherwise, they'll not let you pass anywhere. Not into China (without Visa and valid schedule for TWOV) and not transfer (without a valid ticket)

And since the flight out of China is long haul, it will be tricky and possibly very expensive to book something else on the spot.

In short: Avoid.

And no, AA won't "protect" you either in HKG or PEK. You'll be without a valid ticket in PEK - and if the delay is too much in HKG, they'd not even let you board there, since you'd be without a valid connection in PEK and without a visa -> no boarding
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick Q: XMN-PEK-LAX all on CA flights on a FR early Nov: is a 2h35 connection time sufficient?
Is there a lounge for overseas business pax?

Last edited by cesco.g; Oct 1, 2018 at 6:53 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Quick Q: XMN-PEK-LAX all on CA flights on a FR early Nov: is a 2h35 connection time sufficient?
Is there a lounge for overseas business pax?
Unless the incoming flight is excessive late, that's an easy connection, with luggage being checked-through.

PEK being a huge international airport, of course there is a lounge for business pax. Don't expect too much (the noodles-to-order are decent, but only available during meal times - there are otherwise plenty of instant noodles to choose from.. I found the other "hot food items" to ba rather meh in average, a few of them are ok'ish though) but for a 2.5hrs connection, it's perfectly fine enough - at least the beer is cold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.