Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Change of airports in Shanghai - luggage checked to final destination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:31 am
yst
Original Poster

I have a transit through Shanghai that involves a change of the airports (arriving PVG, departing SHA). All flights are international.

I have assumed I will need to get my luggage in PVG and check it in again in SHA, but surprisingly the bag was checked to the final destination (luggage tag saying TO final destination VIA PVG"). The check in agent assure it will go through but somehow I'm still skeptical.

Is this a real thing, will someone really move the bags between Shanghai airports? Or is it a mistake and I should rather try to find my bag at PVG carousel? Will it even appear there if it's checked further?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:08 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
If it were me I would definitely check the carousel. And since the MU app (I assume it's MU, with Japan, Korea, or Taiwan as the final destination) doesn't allow you to check luggage status, I would also check with the luggage desk near the carousel.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:41 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I really doubt it. Which airlines/flights are involved?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I really doubt it. Which airlines/flights are involved?
Although the OP is the first time I've heard of such an arrangement, based on his/her description of the luggage tag, I will cast my vote in the "probably true" column.

Not having to deal with luggage is something that would definitely enhance the appeal and viability of the airport link project, so maybe the airlines are getting a head start.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
Although the OP is the first time I've heard of such an arrangement, based on his/her description of the luggage tag, I will cast my vote in the "probably true" column.

Every luggage tag that involves more than one airport has this wording on the tag: Final destination via transit point
I still believe that an ignorant checkin agent did this - I would love to be proven wrong.
moondog likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
How could this logistically happen?
uanj likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:45 pm
yst
Original Poster

Update: I talked to a gate agent before boarding a flight to PVG, she also was skeptical this could work and changed something in the system so that the bags would be only checked to PVG. I got the bags on the carousel in PVG without any issues.

This wasn’t even MU, it‘s an interline ticket between LHG and KE, so pretty much zero chances of this going right unless it’s some very well established thing in Shanghai (and it apparently isn’t).

Thanks everyone!
moondog and narvik like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:00 pm

Not having to deal with luggage is something that would definitely enhance the appeal and viability of the airport link project, so maybe the airlines are getting a head start.
PVG => SHA luggage transfers are real and seem to have been around for a while:

https://mil.news.sina.com.cn/s/2011-...837628229.html
moondog, mlin32 and narvik like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:59 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by tauphi

Impressive. I'm thinking of all the times I've had to go from ORY => CDG involving waiting for bags, lugging it all on the Orly VAL, then the RER B (everyone's favourite), rechecking at CDG........
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:04 am

Wow, amazing! Nice find.

Although this wouldn't have applied to OP, as:

1) Seems to be only for MU ---> OP is not
2) Seems to be only for D to I or I to D ---> OP is I to I
3) Is ~13 years old ---> is it still a thing today?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by narvik
Wow, amazing! Nice find.

Although this wouldn't have applied to OP, as:

1) Seems to be only for MU ---> OP is not
2) Seems to be only for D to I or I to D ---> OP is I to I
3) Is ~13 years old ---> is it still a thing today?
I thought about this today, and I must say that I'm surprised that this sort of arrangement isn't in place in similar instances (e.g. JFK/LGA, ICN/SEL, HND/NRT, IAD/DCA, CDG/ORY). I mean, airlines happily sell tickets with these inter-airport connections, putting luggage in a truck isn't especially difficult or expensive, and of course passengers would derive value. Yet, I'm hard pressed to think of any examples where it really works that way, including PVG-->SHA because I've never seen it done in practice (was hoping the OP could the first data point for us). I guess we can return to eagerly anticipating the new train; to my untrained eye, it's coming along quite nicely.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:33 am

....putting luggage in a truck isn't especially difficult or expensive, and of course passengers would derive value....
I find the idea absolutely ludicrous myself.
There is NO way the instances of lost luggage wouldn't increase exponentially, IMO.

It's hard enough to get luggage from a plane onto a towed luggage cart; from that luggage cart to a receiving area at the arriving airport; and from that receiving area onto the correct baggage carousel.
To add a cross-town trip in there seems a recipe for disaster, especially if international travel is involved at one or both locations: serious security issues and lost luggage issues would go through the roof.
mlin32, uanj, m.y and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:38 am

Programs: FB Gold
Perhaps the Chinese can master the art of cross-town transfer of baggages, but certainly many other places can't.

I can only imagine all the problems if AF tried to do a link between ORY and CDG. Schengen or non-Schengen ? Which of half dozen Halls/Terminals ? Theft ? And oh yeah, the péripherique of Paris, totally predictable conditions of traffic. And when something goes wrong, the airline is on the hook.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:11 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

There is NO way the instances of lost luggage wouldn't increase exponentially, IMO.

It's hard enough to get luggage from a plane onto a towed luggage cart; from that luggage cart to a receiving area at the arriving airport; and from that receiving area onto the correct baggage carousel.
To add a cross-town trip in there seems a recipe for disaster, especially if international travel is involved at one or both locations: serious security issues and lost luggage issues would go through the roof.
This article is from 2011. There is no way that this service wasn't suspended during covid, if it was even still in place in 2020. I would want MU to confirm that it was reinstated before seriously thinking about suggesting someone try it. I've had people complain MU won't interline luggage if there is a terminal change in PVG let along a change of airports.
narvik, moondog and m.y like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:02 pm

Sorry, it looks like I misunderstood what the article was trying to say. There is definitely no through-luggage service if you're going from PVG to SHA. In the opposite direction, what you could do is check your bags in at SHA for a PVG flight and China Eastern will sort out the logistics for moving the bags over. So it's something similar to Hong Kong's In-Town Check-in service. The check-in at SHA closes 4 hours before the PVG flight departs.
narvik and uanj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.