Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

19-hour layover at Shanghai Pudong International Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

19-hour layover at Shanghai Pudong International Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I was recently flying out of PEK and came across a traveler who had a similar length layover.
I met her as she was trying to pay for a massage chair (the ones at the end of the terminal).
Since she had no method to pay for it, I used my WeChat and donated a 30 minute session.
At the point when this occured she'd already been in the terminal for many hours with many more to go, and was desperate to kill time.

This reminds me of what Isquare might experience in PVG on a 19 hour layover: it's so terrifying to many, that some might offer help & support simply out of sympathy.
lsquare and Kmxu like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by narvik
I was recently flying out of PEK and came across a traveler who had a similar length layover.
I met her as she was trying to pay for a massage chair (the ones at the end of the terminal).
Since she had no method to pay for it, I used my WeChat and donated a 30 minute session.
At the point when this occured she'd already been in the terminal for many hours with many more to go, and was desperate to kill time.

This reminds me of what Isquare might experience in PVG on a 19 hour layover: it's so terrifying to many, that some might offer help & support simply out of sympathy.
🤣😂😆

I don't need any help for a hotel room. Thanks though!

Sometimes I just want to do something out of curiosity. No real reason and I recognize I'm in the minority here. I've overnight at SIN recently if you guys have bothered to check my posts over the past month. As an OWE, I spent close to 24 hours and literally explored all of the OW plus a few Priority Pass lounges for fun. Yes, PVG isn't SIN, but I'm well-equipped to handle a layover like that. I'm an STE+, have a priority pass, a T-Mobile internet connection, and a charger. I don't think I'll go insane. If I can survive SIN and KUL, why wouldn't I be able to handle PVG? I've seen similar layover itineraries with PEK and PKX. I'm assuming there is nothing to stop me from overnighting at all three airports, right?
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:45 am

I remember that there is a bathing area in the VIP lounge area of Pudong Airport. I hope this helps.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fufu7755
I remember that there is a bathing area in the VIP lounge area of Pudong Airport. I hope this helps.
V36?

https://www.plazapremiumlounge.com/z...-china-eastern
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Sorry, I forgot which airline's VIP lounge it is, but it is free.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fufu7755
Sorry, I forgot which airline's VIP lounge it is, but it is free.
Air China and China Eastern lounges at PVG have showers.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Air China and China Eastern lounges at PVG have showers.
Wish you had mentioned that earlier.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
It doesn't seem like anyone wants to give more concrete details and tips. Looks like I might have to buy the ticket and figure this out myself.
I agree with you that people here are not being very helpful. They're just offering up opinions without talking about specifics of how such a layover could work.

I'll offer a different opinion: While it's true that PVG has not much to do, you can absolutely stay 19 hours. There's food and water. No one is going to kick you out. The lounges may have limited operating hours though so you may not be able to stay the whole time in a lounge. And you also need a boarding pass for your second flight. If you don't have one and need to check in at PVG, then you cannot stay airside.

I absolutely can stay 19 hours at PVG and survive.
lsquare and narvik like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:44 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
T1 or T2?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 4:05 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I'm looking at a fare that gets me to PVG at 22:05 and leaves at 17:15 the next day. I do have a Chinese visa, but in this situation, I think I rather stay airside. Is this possible? What's the process like with transit security?

I'm also an STE+. Any lounge or place where I can shower? Are they open 24 hours? I'm not worried about free WiFi or not as I'll be roaming with my T-Mobile connection. This might be a good opportunity to walk around and get to know PVG.
Have you bought this ticket?
I have not been at PVG since January 2020. I cannot offer you any advice about the airport. One thing that I can say is “PVG is not SIN” if you know what I mean. If you have bought this ticket, just stay at a hotel in downtown and be happy as a tourist for a few hours before your flight departs. Good luck.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:57 pm

I'm going to have a 4 hours layover in PVG (T2) coming up and I really wished they implemented the visa-free policy for my Nationality before then, as even for 4 hours, I'd prefer to go landside (and I for sure know I won't get TWOV on such a short layover nowadays) - I know lsquare isn't asking if he should do his 19hrs layover or not, but rather looking for advice what to do while there..

So, I'm thankful for any suggestions, too. I won't have lounge access () as I booked a non-alliance carrier... and I guess T2 is even more miserable than T1, is it? Worst case, I will just walk around and get my steps counter up.. when I was stuck in TPE last year due to a flight delay, I clocked in some 20000 steps over the course of a morning (And found the free shower well hidden there )

The layover will be in the morning (5-9am) so no booze suggestions, please

Any pay-in lounge that's worth it's while? Or any restaurant open at that time that does reasonable breakfast? Would love some Jian Bing as seemingly all places in Singapore that offer it are unable to make them even half as good as the ones I enjoyed in China at the most rundown corner shop..
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:39 am
formerly rt23456p

The HIX at Pudong is ok, stayed there for a 19hr layover(1500-1000) last september.

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I'm going to have a 4 hours layover in PVG (T2) coming up and I really wished they implemented the visa-free policy for my Nationality before then, as even for 4 hours, I'd prefer to go landside (and I for sure know I won't get TWOV on such a short layover nowadays) - I know lsquare isn't asking if he should do his 19hrs layover or not, but rather looking for advice what to do while there..

So, I'm thankful for any suggestions, too. I won't have lounge access () as I booked a non-alliance carrier... and I guess T2 is even more miserable than T1, is it? Worst case, I will just walk around and get my steps counter up.. when I was stuck in TPE last year due to a flight delay, I clocked in some 20000 steps over the course of a morning (And found the free shower well hidden there )

Any pay-in lounge that's worth it's while? Or any restaurant open at that time that does reasonable breakfast? Would love some Jian Bing as seemingly all places in Singapore that offer it are unable to make them even half as good as the ones I enjoyed in China at the most rundown corner shop..
If you want to play safe, try the McD out! The Chinese McD is not ran by the same folks as the International ones, hence they serves slightly different items that you can't find elseware.
m.y and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PES_B1
The HIX at Pudong is ok, stayed there for a 19hr layover(1500-1000) last september.

If you want to play safe, try the McD out! The Chinese McD is not ran by the same folks as the International ones, hence they serves slightly different items that you can't find elseware.
Is the HIX at PVG? Or I'll have to take a shuttle?
Old Feb 28, 2024, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is the HIX at PVG? Or I'll have to take a shuttle?
It's about 600 meters west of the Haitian #3 Rd subway station. It also has a shuttle to/from the airport.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

Can’t really offer much advice only than to state that walking the length of Terminal 2 is almost exactly one kilometer. That way you’ll know how many KM’s you’ve done once you’ve finished your walking.

Also, even with visa free access they’d still probably ask you to stay airside with only a 4 hour connection.
YuropFlyer and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.